Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Well, I go to the doctors...  (Read 8857 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Well, I go to the doctors...
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 08:04:50 am »

Can't you find a laptop anywhere? Most laptops have built-in webcams, so you could make a small clip of your superpower in action.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 05:54:42 am »

and the casualness his doctor supposedly recommended exploratory surgery. For a few days later.

Worse, exploratory neurosurgery. I'm pretty sure no neurosurgeon will get into someone's head without at the very least a CT, and a very good reason.

I think this is just as fake as everyone, but exploratory head surgery does not necessarily mean neurosurgery, just cutting the skull open and seeing if anything is under there, without actually breaking the protective layer around the brain.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 06:05:56 am »

...which would qualify, as it would be done by a neurosurgeon. And the idea of doing it without image tests first is still ridiculous.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 06:20:26 am »

Bonus hilarity points if he claims to have gotten an MRI of his head.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 06:31:21 am »

Heh, yeah. CT is the best he can hope for, though that won't show anything that's not macroscopic. MRI won't show anything either though, so there's probably no point. If it actually deforms the skin as he says, then the cause may well be in the skin itself, in which case the "surgery" would actually be taking samples of every skin layer surrounding his skull, large enough for study and experimentation.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 06:32:47 am »

My point was that if his head is attracted to magnetic fields enough to bring magnets off a fridge, getting an MRI would be a very, very, very bad idea.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2010, 06:38:14 am »

Uh, this seems awfully trollish, to be perfectly honest.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 06:41:55 am »

I'm perfectly aware of that, G-Flex. In fact, I was the first to mention it, though I called it MRT, not MRI, since that's what we call it here.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 10:52:34 am »

...which would qualify, as it would be done by a neurosurgeon. And the idea of doing it without image tests first is still ridiculous.

These days doing any surgery while blind is almost completely unheard of, except for emergencies. Always, always image first. That way you know what you're looking for rather than just poking around blindly attempting to find something.

Even in an emergency there is usually enough time to do quick imaging of some kind.

If you don't know what you're looking for you should never go digging around unless there are no other options.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 11:01:40 am »

Well, in this case, what WOULD they be looking for? A sheet of steel foil under his skin? Whatever it is, it can't be beneath the skull (since he'd have some serious headache from just being near anything magnetic then), and it can't be fragments since those would be visibly pulled up from the skin when a magnet is introduced. Short of a biochemical alteration of the skin's properties, I can't think of anything that would do what was described.

Of course, "it's a fake" is always an option on the internet, and often the easiest one to put forward, but I like to entertain myself with explanations for phenomena rather than finding ways in which they don't make sense.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 01:00:51 pm »

Well, in this case, what WOULD they be looking for? A sheet of steel foil under his skin? Whatever it is, it can't be beneath the skull (since he'd have some serious headache from just being near anything magnetic then), and it can't be fragments since those would be visibly pulled up from the skin when a magnet is introduced. Short of a biochemical alteration of the skin's properties, I can't think of anything that would do what was described.

Of course, "it's a fake" is always an option on the internet, and often the easiest one to put forward, but I like to entertain myself with explanations for phenomena rather than finding ways in which they don't make sense.

If you had that much iron in your blood you would be long since dead. Too much iron in your blood is toxic and some people do suffer from this condition, but they are not magnetic. Its still far too small a quantity of iron to be magnetic. Less than 1% of your body mass is made up of metals, and that goes for all metals combined.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:25 pm »

It doesn't have to be iron. It doesn't have to be metal. Many nonmetal objects will react to a strong enough magnetic field, so it's possible that there's a nonmetallic compound that's attracted by magnets as well. You can't say it's impossible in a human body because there're too many things we don't know about its capabilities.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 01:34:59 pm »

It doesn't have to be iron. It doesn't have to be metal. Many nonmetal objects will react to a strong enough magnetic field, so it's possible that there's a nonmetallic compound that's attracted by magnets as well. You can't say it's impossible in a human body because there're too many things we don't know about its capabilities.

You are correct in that you do not need ferrous metal to have a magnet. The sun has an extremely strong magnetic field, and its mostly made up out of hydrogen and helium. Very little iron in it as its still a young star.

There is no mechanism for that to happen within the human body in a way that keeps said human still living.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 02:10:43 pm »

Don't want to sound like an "oppose everything!" kinda person, but why rule out the metal in the Sun? With a gravity well THAT large, think how much stuff could've fallen into it during its life. Even our moon, much smaller and less long-lived, looks like it took an interstellar artillery barrage.

Buuut yeah, let's keep astrophysics elsewhere.

Pathos

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 02:36:24 pm »

Does anyone else have a sneaky suspicion that Armok IS Hungry? Does anyone have a picture of Armok to disprove this? I mean, Hungry's avatar is just an angrier version of Armok's.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8