Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: SPARKGEAR RESURRECTION  (Read 47866 times)

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPARKGEAR RESURRECTION
« Reply #150 on: June 01, 2010, 01:28:40 pm »

Galena 15th,

We have been besieged by 17 Hobgoblins, lead by a Sword Master and a MaceLord.  They brought a troll and a small menagerie of war animals, including 3 eagles, 3 mammoths, an elephant, 4 bears, and a breeding pair each of giant jaguars and giant lions.  I've sealed off the surface and am intending to wait it out.  This is the only reasonable option, at least until the magma drains are complete.

I have built a wide ramp from just one level beneath the surface down to main fortress level.  I have constructed a new magma-proof trade depot and with some bridges, floodgates, and fortifications have created a mechanism to individually flood three different sectors of the trade depot and its approach with liquid-hot magma.  I've also created an emergency, one-time-use device to seal things off with water and collapsing rock, should the floodgates fail to close and drainage overflow.

The magma intake and the control room are completed, but my miners are still hollowing out a large drainage area.  Until I can safely drain the excess magma, I have no intention of using the device.  But once that is complete, perhaps I'll allow the goblins into the outermost magma chamber.

In other news, I've created a bunch of new bedrooms for my fellow immigrants and a few poor souls here who were never given their own quarters.  I've also made a new suite of offices for the mayor, the manager, and whatever positions may require office space in the future.  I've cleared out space for a bunch of new workshops, but haven't yet decided what to put there.  I'm not sure whether to start a new industry or double up on some of our more overworked workshops.

Oh, and one of my mechanics got all moody the other day and locked herself in her workshop.  She took one of her grabbo mechanisms and put all kinds of rings and spikes and artwork on it.  It looks f-ing stupid and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with a mechanism that has cave blob leather, zircons, wood, and gold on it.  Maybe I'll use it in for the last-ditch-seal-the-fucking-lava! lever.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 01, 2010, 02:02:10 pm »

Yay, someone is actually accomplishing something!  :D

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:49 pm »

Sorry it's a bit late, but no one said anything all day, and there is no one signed up for next yet, so I figure no one cares.

HERE IS THE SAVE

My final write-up will follow shortly, but here are a few things you need to know:
1. There is a dead child in the workshops, make sure she gets buried.

2. The Broker has been possessed and wants shells.  We don't seem to have any, so I locked him in his isolated craftdwarf shop on the bottom right of the workshops, F4 I think.

3.A new wave of migrants have just arrived (in the entrance area).  I haven't touched them, so you're going to want to mess with skill assignments, if anyone wants a list of the names and jobs of dwarves before the wave, I did make a list, I can post it if that would help even a little bit.  It's as easy as CTRL+C, CTRL+V.

4. The Dwarves are hauling in random junk from the disassembled surface depot.  If you need to get everyone inside, go to F1 and zone-forbid everything.

5. My magma-based Depot defense is complete, just read the lever labels.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:52 am »

Opal 10th, 1058

I buried a friend today, watched a child die by my hand, and personally sealed the fate of our fortress broker.  Consider this my final entry and resignation.

And despite all that, I believe the fortress is better off than when I began.  Our food and drink stocks have increased greatly, and I've expanded the population, their living quarters, and the room they have to work in.  I've been so caught up in overseeing my project, and wiring all those damn levers by myself (as none of the 4 mechanics under me want to do anything but eat, drink, and craft mechanisms), that I realize I have not made an entry for several months.  So before I sign my name to this ledger for the final time, I'll relay the events of Autumn and Winter.

My initial intelligence report, recorded here during the summer, underestimated the size of the siege.  In all there were 32 Hobgoblins, and 40 assorted war animals.  Notably a contingent of 11 War Polar Bears and 3 Grizzly Bears.  No military I could have invested in would have been sufficient, staying inside was definitely the right call.  Still, we need to have a functioning military sooner or later, and I've had a thought for whatever future ruler begins that task.  The Hobgoblins have clearly had success waging war with their Bear Force, and I'm sure it takes many lives to bring down just one of them.  The fact that the goblins have more animals than soldiers speaks volumes.  In my time as ruler, I can't tell you how many times I've been woken by tame black bear cubs rummaging through my trash or chasing each other up and down the hall outside my door.  SparkGear has more stray bears wandering the halls than it does cats.

This is a major untapped resource.  I propose, for the good of the fort and the kingdom, that we at SparkGear found His Majesty's Royal Bear Force (RBF) as soon as we can recruit a dungeon master.  We already fight fire with fire, why not fight bears with bears?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:07:28 am by UmbrageOfSnow »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2010, 01:06:12 am »

Opal 10th, continued

Anyway, after sealing up the top, the Hobgoblins moped around outside long enough to scare off the Human traders, then left in late fall, just in time for the shipment from the Mountainhome to make it through.

As our liaison arrived, I was just finishing the wiring of the control room to the last of the magma gates.  The miners had long since cleared out the drainage area, and run a tube from part of it down into the caverns below, large enough that overflow should never be an issue no matter how often we open the gates.  And if we wipe out the indigenous monster population, so be it.  The drainage tank is sealed off from our fortress though, in case of magma-proof flying beasts.

As I was saying, I was just wiring up the last of the drainage gates when the traders arrived.  They of course unloaded their goods at the old surface depot.  This is where my day went to hell.  Three of my miners made the inaugural channel into the magma pipe as the last preparation for the defense system.  One of them ran back to safety without incident, but Rith Datandeg was a bit slow and lost his big toe to the magma, and his nose to the spray.  He was able to retreat behind the wall, but fainted there and bled all over the fortress once he awoke.  Still, it appears he'll make a full recovery. 

Zuglar Elbelrovod wasn't so lucky.  As soon as he turned around after removing the wall, he slipped on a bit of grabbite and fell over backwards into the onrushing magma.  The entire top half of his body was vaporized.  I'm not sure who ran off with his remains, but I've constructed a memorial coffin to him, and any other such unfortunates past and future.  I've placed the coffin in the magma drainage cistern as the temptation for the children to mar the memorial with graffiti and jokes about clumsiness is too great anywhere else.

While we were holding the funeral, Onul Koganstigaz finally passed away.  She had been a well behaved child until one day a strange mood came over her and she began screaming for things we didn't have.  She stormed off to the workshops, kicked all the dwarves out, and just sat there.  One day when I sent someone in to check on her, she went berserk and almost killed him.  So I ordered the doors sealed and set up some traps lest she escape.  I knew what I was doing, but it was still a shock to hear her screams finally fall into silence.  Her parents will be devastated I'm sure, but I did what I had to do for the good of the fortress.

During all the commotion I nearly forgot about the traders, and our broker had already ignored their request to come trade with them for weeks.  As they were packing up to go, I accidentally signed the order to deconstruct the old surface depot.  That damned piece of paper had been sitting on my desk for months, since I first began the project.  I was still in a bit of shock from the two deaths, and had been dying to do something positive, and making the final symbolic act of my one great accomplishment as ruler seemed like it would cheer me up.  I didn't even think about the consequences until the traders left oddly unencumbered.  My idiot masons carried away all their stock with the left over stone from the building!

I'm sure the mountainhome will give us shit about it next year, but it's too late to do anything about it now, and I'd rather they make their complaint while standing in a sealable room where one floodgate holds back several tons of molten rock.  Exactly like our new interior trade depot.

If that was the last disaster of my day, I might have held off my resignation until the people were fed up with me themselves, but there was one last horror in store.  Apparently that little girl's spirit was stronger than her body, because later that day, it took possession of our Trade Broker.  He acts like a sullen little girl anyway, so it took everyone a while to notice, but he started making the same outrageous demands as she.  I don't want to risk injuring any useful workers if and when he turns violent, so I've already sealed him in his isolated workshop.  I locked the door myself, as my last official act as leader.  What happens to him next is up to someone else, I'm not sure I have the stomach for that decision anymore.  All I know is the bears look a bit malnourished and I think it's all the plump helmets we feed them.

So, whoever picks up the reigns next, best of luck making the hard decisions.  I'm going to retire to a leisurely life of wiring levers to various devices, designing bridges, and drowning my sorrows in swamp whisky and hoping I can rid my self of the dreams.  That damn dirty, lavender-scaled, dancing ape haunts me every night, and I swear I can hear the beat of his thumbed feet whenever the miners take a rest from their noisemaking.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2010, 01:10:45 am »

Wow, um, did I overkill that last entry a bit?

Anyway, for the scrolling-up-impaired, here is that save again.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2438

You may want to take a look at my non-journal entry post for some brief commentary on what is going on if you're the one taking over the next day.

EDIT:  And I meant to post this earlier, but I ran a test of the magma defense system.  Results under the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:20:31 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2010, 07:38:52 am »

This is awesome. The best bit of writing in this thread yet.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2010, 10:25:16 pm »

Thanks!

Glad I didn't piss people off by just grabbing the save and running with it.

In the interest of keeping things going, should we try to get people signing up for future days again, or just hope Nahkh comes back or some other random person does what I did and just shows up and plays a turn?  I'd like to see the game not die.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2010, 10:37:43 pm »

Thanks!

Glad I didn't piss people off by just grabbing the save and running with it.

In the interest of keeping things going, should we try to get people signing up for future days again, or just hope Nahkh comes back or some other random person does what I did and just shows up and plays a turn?  I'd like to see the game not die.

I'm going to do something with this, it wont be AWESOME, likely, but it will be cool.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 03, 2010, 01:41:31 pm »

Whoa.
It almost feels like I was in a coma for two weeks.

Sorry guise, I'm unreliable as fuck.

DemonicSpoon: Could you post me the most recent volunteer player list? Also, what the hells is going on in this fortress?

Nahkh-man, AWAAAAAY!
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 03, 2010, 02:37:24 pm »

I want the closest open spot. What do you have to lose?

25, if its okay

-breaker-
its 22th, so i again apply for the 25th

Hmmmmmm...

So, can I sign up?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 03, 2010, 03:04:54 pm »

Of course z1000000m and I just went, since no confirmation was forthcoming and no one was objecting. 

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 03, 2010, 03:06:47 pm »

Of course, you're free to grab a turn if no lists are up.

That's the spirit!
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 03, 2010, 03:24:22 pm »

Glad I didn't upset you by taking the initiative.  I was a tad worried, but figure no one would be forcing you to use my save if you didn't like it.

Oh and for future reference, I just went up and edited in a test I had run of the magma defense system, there were a couple interesting quirks if anyone is in a position where they aren't sure how things will work, I've tested it pretty well I think.

Big point: My failsafe water device DOES NOT WORK.  So don't let yourselves get in a position where you'd need it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 03:26:41 pm by UmbrageOfSnow »

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:58 pm »

UmbrageOfSnow that was a great read!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14