Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: SPARKGEAR RESURRECTION  (Read 47874 times)

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPARKGEAR RESURRECTION
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2010, 12:30:37 pm »

If we wanted easy we wouldn't be playing Sparkgear.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2010, 12:36:35 pm »

I can't wait to see what I can do with this.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 22, 2010, 01:16:01 pm »

Reclaim has begun. Trash is everywhere. Creating an entirely new entrance with better protective values for the stupid goblin incursions. Currenly there are friendly goblins on the map but I expect that to change. Now I just need to get back to the 3rd cavern.

Edit1: Given that all the mud has dried up I'm putting the first level of the new fortress right around the -100 level mark (goes from -99 to -102 depending on where the center is). First order of business is creating a new farming area. Digging and dumping has begun. About 50% of the way through.

Edit2: Currenly irrigating the new farmlands. Started digging out where the initial workshops will go. Assigned a migrant Soap Maker as bookkeeper and made a table and chair for him to do his business. Need to know what's out there so we can reclaim the good stuff. Already making plans for the magma forges as well as a well. Hopefully the pitifully low FPS doesn't keep me from getting a working fortress going for Barbarossa the Seal God to destroy.

Edit3: Everything is running smoothly. Started reclaiming scattered gear of various wealth. Have 25 dwarves going full tilt. Farms going. Brewery going. Running low on food but a caravan just arrived so that's no biggy. Hoping I can make it through winter and into the next year before I have to let this go. I would really like to get a proper military set up but need to take care of basic needs first. Oh, and first FB showed up. It can't reach us because that cork hasn't been popped yet and I'm not going to because the fort can't handle it. It can wait until we're ready.

Edit4: Soap Maker got a fey mood but wanted Rock Bars so he went stark raving mad. Currently filling up the cistern for the well and underground fishing. Bedrooms are made just need to populate them with beds. Food and drink are semi-plentiful. Almost spring time. Should have the vast majority of basic needs met when my turn is up.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 05:04:10 pm by Moontayle »
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 22, 2010, 06:55:41 pm »

Replying so this gets bumped.

Ok, turn done and like I mentioned earlier I won't be able to upload it for about an hour after this post. Rest assured you'll get it by 1am GMT.

Some notes:

1. I left notes everywhere and I used hotkeys so you can find all the important stuff. I think one of them is from the previous fort (F6) but the rest are valid.

2. Just finished trading with the elves. You should have a few bears and some other stuff to train. Haven't set up the kennel yet though. Bought a shitload of brew so if you run out of drink you're SOL.

3. Also just got a huge migrant wave of about twenty folks. You should have plenty of dwarves to do whatever.

4. Didn't get a chance to get a military set up. This was brought about by not having any metals to smith that could be used for weapons. Might want to get on that.

5. A lot of junk is scattered everywhere. There's also a lot of stuff still in the old fort. I didn't want to get into scouring through it before the basic necessities of the fort were set up so that'll be up to you. Be careful. Not sure where the FB went and something had the presence of mind to pull a lever down there.

6. Oh, and a dwarf died from being stabbed in the foot just before I stopped. You'll want to make a coffin for him and place him in the dining room (you'll see).

7. Migrant wave brought a bunch of animals. Haven't had a chance to cage them yet.

Best of luck.

---------------------------

Everything south of here is a rant. Read. Don't Read. I don't care.

*soapbox*

I am appalled that less than a week after starting that I took over a community fort and it was already on a downward spiral. I think I could have been a bit more forgiving if at least an attempt was made at keeping the fortress in a working condition but over half the dwarves were miserable, the military was non existant, food and drink stock were extremely low, there was no hospital, lag was induced by tons of animals left to wander around. To me it seems that no attempt was made at keeping the fort playable for whoever came after. As it was, it didn't take long for things to spiral out of control, despite my best attempts at salvaging the situation. And I don't give a flying fuck if this is Sparkgear. It's a COMMUNITY FORT. That means someone other than you is going to play it. The fort should not already being spiraling downward three years into the fort and less than a week after starting. There's more than enough ways to kill the fort without killing it through incompetance.

Now, if you did your best to keep things upright, I salute you. For everyone else, please try and think of the people that are supposed to come after you.

*/soapbox*

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 22, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2010, 12:39:38 am »

Downloading. Will begin my misadventures in the morrow.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2010, 01:16:52 am »

Hmmmmmm...

So, can I sign up?
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2010, 11:23:59 am »

I hope everyone here likes MAGMA.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2010, 12:57:33 pm »

YAY! My turn is next!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2010, 02:09:05 pm »

It's lightning-y here, so I may be an hour or two late on getting the save to you if the power goes out.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2010, 03:41:43 pm »

EDIT: The storm stopped, and I still have the save. The problem is that I can't seem to load the game. Was it in .03? Or did we move up to .04?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2010, 03:56:53 pm »

I used .04. It was the only way the game was going to run on the PCs here at work.

.04 doesn't really have any issues. Pretty much all the bugs you stayed away from in .03 are still there but it runs better overall.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2010, 04:07:13 pm »

that would explain it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 23, 2010, 07:52:14 pm »

hey barbarossa, where is the save?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 23, 2010, 11:08:46 pm »

Well, I'm pretty sure that I've been cursed by the Succession Gods. I started saving an hour ago, and it just finished saving twenty minutes ago. When I went back in to make sure the save worked, the game flipped out and crashed. What little I accomplished in the past 20 minutes isn't worth much. Some dwarves were interrupted by animals and there was a goblin siege, but nothing of note occurred.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14