Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get my wrestlers to train?  (Read 692 times)

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get my wrestlers to train?
« on: May 15, 2010, 11:09:52 pm »

I set up a squad of wrestlers and set them to active/training state.  However, I don't see them actually do anything.  They just hang out in my legendary great hall all day and drink.

How do I get my wrestlers to wrestle?  I have a barracks set up, and I've even asked them to sleep in it this month.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Get my wrestlers to train?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:30:31 pm »

To save you a lot of time and frustration: forget about sparring. It won't happen. At least not yet.

Do not use the Active/Training alert. The only thing you should be using alerts for is a "Danger" state wherein your dwarves cannot venture outside (by being restricted to a burrow that encompasses only the insides of your fortress) in times of sieges or ambushes. Fear not, however: your military dwarves do train, they just don't spar. Setting them to inactive and leaving them alone will have them spending most of their time in the barracks doing individual combat drills, which are solitary activities that passively increase combat skill. This is provided, however, that you have your barracks designated to be trained at by that particular squad: through the q menu, go over to your barracks. You should see any and all squads you have in the panel, with the options train, sleep, etc. Through these options you can toggle what squads do in this barracks (if you don't do this, they won't recognize it as a barracks at all). Ideally, make two barracks. One full of beds, and one simply made from an armor stand or weapon rack with a fair amount of room. In the first, have your squads sleep; in the second, have you squads train -- through the menu mentioned above.

Provided you do this, you'll see your soldiers hanging out in your barracks. Also, forget about crossbow-dwarves; they don't work yet. And once an arsenal dwarf becomes available in the nobles screen (when your fortress population's high enough), appoint one! Without it, your military can't function because now their equipment is assigned and managed by said arsenal dwarf.

Hope this helps. :3

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:12:15 am »

Poor crossbow d0rfs. I hope that gets fixed soon.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:02:09 am »

One more thing to be aware of, the only sure way to kill most killable things right now is with edged weapons, ie axes and swords.  Blunt damage often doesn't add up to a kill in any reasonable amount of time.  I've seen a wrestler squad beat up a kobold for an entire season and not be able to kill it off.  And don't go sans armor either, a simple stab with a small dagger can kill where a choke hold won't.

Malne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »

To save you a lot of time and frustration: forget about sparring. It won't happen. At least not yet.

Do not use the Active/Training alert. The only thing you should be using alerts for is a "Danger" state wherein your dwarves cannot venture outside (by being restricted to a burrow that encompasses only the insides of your fortress) in times of sieges or ambushes. Fear not, however: your military dwarves do train, they just don't spar. Setting them to inactive and leaving them alone will have them spending most of their time in the barracks doing individual combat drills, which are solitary activities that passively increase combat skill. This is provided, however, that you have your barracks designated to be trained at by that particular squad: through the q menu, go over to your barracks. You should see any and all squads you have in the panel, with the options train, sleep, etc. Through these options you can toggle what squads do in this barracks (if you don't do this, they won't recognize it as a barracks at all). Ideally, make two barracks. One full of beds, and one simply made from an armor stand or weapon rack with a fair amount of room. In the first, have your squads sleep; in the second, have you squads train -- through the menu mentioned above.

Provided you do this, you'll see your soldiers hanging out in your barracks. Also, forget about crossbow-dwarves; they don't work yet. And once an arsenal dwarf becomes available in the nobles screen (when your fortress population's high enough), appoint one! Without it, your military can't function because now their equipment is assigned and managed by said arsenal dwarf.

Hope this helps. :3

Actually this is not true, dorfs will train (not spar) when placed on the active/train schedule just fine.  However, certain requirements must be met before they'll do so.  A) Have a barracks designated and assign your squad to train (t) there under the building (q) menu.  B) Place your squad (and your civilians) on the active/train alert (don't think the civ alert makes a difference (probably more for assigning emergency burrow restrictions) but seeing as my military seems to maintain its civilian status until I give them a move or kill order I just leave it on) C) Make sure that the minimum dorfs required (standard is 10) for the active/train alert is below the actual number of individuals in your squad. I set it to 1 and leave it.  Whether this makes any difference from the inactive alert, I have no idea, go test it and let us know, but they definitely do run individual combat drills under this setup.

jcrites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:29:03 pm »

What's wrong with crossbow dwarves?

In an immigrant wave, I got a hunter who came with a crossbow.  I made him some ammo, and hadn't paid much attention until just now, when he detected a goblin thief, and mowed him down with bolts.  (That guy died quick!)

I've had a lot of trouble defending my fortresses in the latest version.  (Not a huge fan of the "massive numbers of traps" :)

I can't get my military to train with crossbows?