Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Announcement Spam  (Read 567 times)

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military Announcement Spam
« on: May 15, 2010, 10:08:27 pm »

I think that I have the military all figured out, but one issue has been bugging me.

The constant spam of:
Urist McHammerdwarf has become a peasant.
Catten McAxedwarf has become a Axedwarf.

It happens every time an active military dwarf gets hungry or thirsty or tired. My squads are set up to be stationed at a point year round with 6 minimum. This is to keep the point defended without starving my dwarves, and allowing some training in between.

Ideally that is how I want to maintain a military. But the constant announcements every time a stationed dwarf gets hungry thirsty or sleepy gets annoying.

Is there a way to prevent military dwarves from becoming civilians, while still allowing them to drink/eat/sleep? Or is this the only way to have a self sustaining military?

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Announcement Spam
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:37:29 pm »

Some people can't get their dwarves to go off duty, so they starve themselves. Personally, I do not recommend constantly stationing your dwarves; not only is this obviously an issue wherein they become drafted/undrafted often (producing bad thoughts) but they're missing on valuable training time they could otherwise improve their skills in. The best advice I can give in regards to having them become permanent fixtures of a given station point is supply them with backpacks and waterskins for extra food & drink, enable them to carry more supplies in the military screen, and have their schedule demand that 10 minimum dwarves have to follow the order at hand; having 6 minimum means that they may deem it okay to promptly go off duty when they feel like it because another dwarf would take their place, filling the 6 dwarf quota for the command.

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:45:13 am »

The only bad thoughts produced by the setup are from long patrols. Unhappy thoughts  of drafting and undrafting only seem to happen when a dwarf is added/removed form a squad.

I have a minimum of 6 so that most of the squad is ready at the point. A hungry dwarf, for example, goes off duty when he gets hungry. A off duty dwarf in that squad then replaces him at the post. The hungry dwarf goes to eat/drink or whatever, then heads to the barracks for individual training until he is needed to replace some other dwarf at the post.

In emergencies, I set the alert level to one that requires all 10 of the dwarves at the point.

But all that isn't the issue. It is a matter of getting them to eat drink and sleep without reverting to civies.

Your suggestion to give them food and drink on patrol might solve that. As for sleep... there must be way to make them sleep at their post.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:06:22 pm »

There would be, by putting a few beds there and designating them as barracks for that squad and setting them to "sleep in barracks at need" in the schedule screen. However, they do get bad thoughts from going back to their civvies and off duty, at least in my game. Long patrols also, though. In the schedule screen there's also the option to choose whether they wear their civvies or not, and in the uniform screen whether their armor goes over their clothing or if it replaces it. I would shoot for the latter, since forcing them to stay in their armor alone seems dysfunctional.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 07:11:00 pm »

There would be, by putting a few beds there and designating them as barracks for that squad and setting them to "sleep in barracks at need" in the schedule screen. However, they do get bad thoughts from going back to their civvies and off duty, at least in my game. Long patrols also, though. In the schedule screen there's also the option to choose whether they wear their civvies or not, and in the uniform screen whether their armor goes over their clothing or if it replaces it. I would shoot for the latter, since forcing them to stay in their armor alone seems dysfunctional.

That thought only applies to when you actively relieve a dwarf of duty.  Like when you take a squad off activity.  Just doing normal dwarf things like eating/sleeping does not cause a bad thought unless you set that dwarf/squad to inactive, the dwarf still remains "active" in his head if he takes himself of duty for a break.

I doubt changing that uniform option will help as it only applies to uniform, they will simply have to change clothes every time they take a drink, changing from their armour to civ clothes.  Not only that but you will have specify what shirts etc they are going wear in the uniform or they will run around wearing only plate with it set to "replace".

Pheo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:33:08 pm »

Just doing normal dwarf things like eating/sleeping does not cause a bad thought unless you set that dwarf/squad to inactive, the dwarf still remains "active" in his head if he takes himself of duty for a break.

That seems to be incorrect.
I did some testing with a squad posted year round with a minimum of 10 required. Having them carry food and water kept them at their post and kept them from starving. But they still reverted to civilians for a single frame in order to eat/drink (and thus, still announcement spam). Each one had unhappy thoughts from being relieved from duty. Presumably from each time they went off duty to eat or drink.

As for sleeping, they only slept at their post when they had no assigned room and the "sleep in barracks" option wasn't selected. Reverting to civilians still occurred, but they fell asleep where they stood.

31.04 is out, so I should check that out.  :D
Even if it has no military related fixes :(