Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stocks screen woes  (Read 554 times)

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stocks screen woes
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:36:58 pm »

40d

So, I went to my hordemaster the other day and I'm all like: "Do we have any silk cloth so we can make silk shit?" And he said, "sure! We have 129 items of cloth. By pressing TAB you see that 33 of these items are cave spider silk cloth" and I reckon he meant to tell me there was no cloth in use at all in my fortress since he had no red number written next to the white 129 figure.

I checked to make sure that none of my cloth had an "F" next to it in the stocks screen...but despite this my clothier is telling me there is no silk cloth laying about. This makes me very cranky since I require 30 silk dresses, like, yesterday. I really like silk dresses. A lot.

Anyway. WTF is going on? Are these ass clowns eventually going to come around, or am I doing something kinda stupid?

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stocks screen woes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 11:44:04 pm »

Do you have a cloth stockpile? Try making one, and rummage around in the bins to find any silk. Once done, forbid all the cloth in said bins but the silk, and sew away.

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:25 am »

Hearken! A clue. I have a cloth stockpile, but the silk cloth isn't in it. ...!?

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:42:27 am »

Then the answer's simple: you have no silk cloth. Unless that is you don't have enough bins and/or room to accommodate all of your cloth. Also, make sure there aren't any merchants anywhere on your map; their goods will be listed on your stocks screen.

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:28 am »

That's cool. But how do I understand this stock screen? Thanks for setting me straight!

Jumpp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 01:26:38 am »

Are there merchants on the map?  Their possessions show up on your stocks page.  They typically carry a fair amount of silk cloth, and those numbers look like about what I'd expect a smallish caravan to carry.

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:22:38 am »

Yep. That must be it. It's surprising though that merchants stuff shows up in MY stock list! grumble grumble

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 02:51:48 am »

In DF 2010 it also shows up some... interesting items as well. For example, a co-op fort I'm working with revealed some caverns strewn with webs. The stockpile record went from 0 silk to 933 silk cloth. None of which actually exists - I think it is counting the webs in the cavern. Unfortunately a giant newt decided to live down there, so it's been closed off from the rest of the world.
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 08:22:41 am »

In DF 2010 it also shows up some... interesting items as well. For example, a co-op fort I'm working with revealed some caverns strewn with webs. The stockpile record went from 0 silk to 933 silk cloth. None of which actually exists - I think it is counting the webs in the cavern. Unfortunately a giant newt decided to live down there, so it's been closed off from the rest of the world.

Ah, yes, brilliant. Caverns have a lot of silk that may show up on there, too.

By the way, looking at your screenshot, your tileset seems a little odd; do you have the latest version of the Mayday DF? You may find it here: http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

EDIT: Sorry, forgot you mentioned you have a 40d build. I do recommend upgrading, though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 08:40:38 am by Bronzebeard »

unit335

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:18 am »

Yep. It's an older Mayday version built off of 40d. I was using 40d to learn the ropes...but now that the ropes are mostly, uh, learned, I will go ahead and upgrade. Thanks for all the help!

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 12:02:50 pm »

The ropes have changed so much that that's a dubious way to get your grips with the game to begin with. The most radical changes you're bound to notice are to dwarven attributes, the (at first) overwhelming military system (to save you a lot of time, do not get involved in alerts & schedule's, it's all bollocks for now; just keep your military to inactive and add a "Danger" alert for your dwarves with a burrow because that's essentially the new "keep all dwarves inside" option), and the fact that all farming anywhere requires irrigation. No more living in the glaciers! :'(