Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Call of Adventure  (Read 2471 times)

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
Call of Adventure
« on: May 15, 2010, 09:16:24 pm »

For the past few weeks something has been gnawing and tearing at the inside of me.
It consumes my every thought.

I need adventure, playing video games, D&D and reading books is not enough for me anymore, I crave the real deal.
I have been doing really stupid self-endangering things lately like crawling my way across a steel wire that spans a good 50 feet between 2 high trees. I go places where I am not supposed to be and much more.

I need a way to either contain this, completely stop it or have an adventure.

Any helpful suggestions are welcome.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Adventure
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 09:18:28 pm »

Stop now.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:12 pm »

Join the marines,it worked for me.
Or if your not that type,get into bungee jumping,or cave exploring,or the like.
I did some amateur drag racing during my younger years.That sticks in my mind as the biggest adrenaline rush I ever had.Unfortunately,the scene has changed these days,And you need some major money.

I bet you have an idea of what you want to do.follow it.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 09:23:49 pm »

LARP   :o
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:26:00 pm »

Join the marines,it worked for me.

The marines seem like a good idea, but I'm already planning on joining the army so this front is covered...No pun intended.

I have no money so bungee and all won't work.
This doesn't solve my self-endangerment issue.

LARP   :o

Already did and am still planning on going, but I know it's not going to help me for long.

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:38:10 am »

i had that problem once i got better
and ya the military is a good idea
nothing gets the adventureing spirt out of you like everyone dieing around you

have fun  :D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 02:02:16 am »

Yeah if you have issues with self endangerment then the marines may not be for you. You know what the marines do right? Its more then just standing on mountain tops, spinning rifles, holding ceremonial swords and looking serious.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 04:25:46 am »

To refine my previous post,I took it by your first post you were looking for more than just some thrills.

If you want to do something with your life besides staring at a computer screen and playing in fantasy worlds,you have options.Join the armed forces,or get a degree,become a doctor,engineer,etc. I don't have to list all that's available.

Not to say staring at a computer screen is without merit,it's what I'm doing right now.Honorably discharged,been out for a year,living up the lazy life for a bit.

Yeah,my suggestion,the marines,not for everyone.Not for most.But for all the shit i got put through while in it,I've never regretted it,and i'd do it again.

If your just looking for suggestions on cheap thrills,ignore all i've said.

Oh,yeah,about the whole self endangering thing,I don't have advice for that.Really,the people i know who have a problem with putting themselves in situations where great bodily harm could happen,don't stop until something bad actually happens.Seek professional help if you think it's that bad.Although,I'm not quite sure what you,personally, mean by it.As in,you like to do stupid things,or you do dangerous shit to see what happens?

At piecewise-everyone remembers that damn commercial.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 04:32:14 am »

If we're talking about the "merit" of activities I'm just going to say that nothing really has any lasting merit in the long run. Regardless of if you just play WOW or you hike around the world, you lose it all eventually and are pretty quickly forgotten.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 04:40:55 am »

Well,ain't that the truth.Who's going to remember me when I'm dead never really concerned me,though,for the reasons you stated.we're all forgotten,eventually.What matters to me is believing i made a difference,no matter how small.Pathetic,but so is everything in the grand scale.

If someone believes they're calling is playing games instead of curing cancer,go for it.

But back to the thread,I have stated my 2 cents worth of advice.step up,next forum-goer.

Urist mc.miner

• Bay Watcher
  • Exit light!Enter night!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 05:18:12 am »

Hmmm...What about join a contact sport thing?
Quote from: Footkerchief on Today at 02:46:06 am
Quote from: Grakelin on May 12, 2010, 10:01:05 pm
In Soviet Russia, environment destroys you!

Germany learned this the hard way.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:02:50 am »

Take parkour lessons.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24:02 am »

Take parkour lessons.

I'm interested in parkour, but I have no idea if there's lessons for it.

Gonna get back into breakdancing for some thrills, plus it goes great with an exercising regime
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:40:55 am »

Take parkour lessons.

Already doing parkour/freerunning.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 10:12:23 am »

You could try writing.

Imagining an adventure is even better than actually having one- you can't get hurt, and all the really unpleasant things such as hunger and being nuked are abstracted out.

Picture this in your head: You are standing in front of a massive castle. You came here for a purpose. The monarchy has abused its citizens for too long. You check your concealed [weapon]* and head in...

*it depends on what time period you want to be set in, I prefer sci-fi but I want to be as general as possible

Now if that doesn't get your imagination going, you can try reading a book. If you have a good, immersive imagination, you can completely phase out of reality (and occasionally freak out people who see you in that sort of trance state).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.
Pages: [1] 2