Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d: Highlander dwarf  (Read 753 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40d: Highlander dwarf
« on: May 15, 2010, 08:22:43 pm »

It might be common in new version, but I never saw it in 40d: my dwarf has almost everything red and lives(unconscious, but still). His heart was harmed to red color a...an unreasonably long time ago (longest time I saw anything survive with that wound was 6 seconds).
Actually I have to conclude that he has achieved immortality somehow. The question is...how?

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d: Highlander dwarf
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 10:44:50 pm »

It's obvious. He is the one. He has transcended his worlds' rules of 1's and 0's and become invincible, at least within the constructs of that world.

It probably happened because of the new wounds system. I guess it isn't quite balanced yet. That's what happens when you graduate up from a bodypart divided hitpoints system. Also, his toughness rating might have something to do with it. So would not having those wounds being open, and causing massive bleeding.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:22:55 am »

I think technically each time they wrestle or shove each other the game says 'you have a mortal injury and die X seconds from now' and the X second clock never gets a chance to finish.  I prefer to believe the creature is too busy fighting to realize they are already dead, like 300 meets the Sixth Sense. 

In DF2010 it means the dwarf fought a hammer-something.  In all seriousness their bones and organs could be smashed into goo, but as long as the goo stays inside the dwarf they are doing alright.  Brain injury and internal bleeding aren't quite implemented or working yet. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:34:13 am »

I had a similar event happen in 31.03. In a succession fort my dwarf spent six months getting savaged by a half-dozen skelk. Apparently wrestling puts hunger and thirst on hold too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 03:34:23 am »

I am not entirely disappointed with this issue.  I think there are real life examples of sustaining mortal injuries but adrenaline keeping the individual alive until the event is over.

Plus it adds a badass:

"Get out while you can, I will hold him off!"

element to battles.