Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206477 times)

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1695 on: June 23, 2015, 12:26:52 am »

Also radiation is very different in this setting than in reality.  It's one reason everything is nuclear-powered.  Heck, I don't think ghouls are a result of FEV...  Just magic radiation doing weird nonsense.  A lot of them were turned when the bombs dropped, long before the FEV started spreading.  AFAIK.

You are right, I had forgotten there's only one known F.E.V ghoul and that was Harold...And considering what eventually happened to him, I don't think he could be considered a standard ghoul either.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: June 23, 2015, 12:53:58 am »

200 years is a lot of time for the radiation to get out of the soil. How else are the plants all around the wasteland growing? :3
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: June 23, 2015, 07:17:20 am »

Also radiation is very different in this setting than in reality.  It's one reason everything is nuclear-powered.
Yup.

It's why applying things like

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strontium-90

I'm sorry, shit would definitely not be irradiated that long. 

this is pretty pointless, as Fallout does not follow the same laws of science as we do. Radiation doesn't make ants grow giant, either, but it does in Fallout. It follows 1950 bad movie science rather than the laws of physics. Buildings wouldn't be standing either, after a couple of a hundred years. But a recovered world with no ruins, mutants or radiation wouldn't be much of a Fallout game.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1698 on: June 23, 2015, 07:20:44 am »

We're in a world where we have robots and hovering drones and handheld lasers but technology hasn't progressed much beyond vacuum tubes. It's pretty clearly only loosely based in reality.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: June 23, 2015, 08:29:48 am »

It still makes no sense that nobody seems to be producing food  :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1700 on: June 23, 2015, 08:31:34 am »

Makes as much sense as anything else really. It's all contrived writing to arrive at a specific setting. Every book and movie does it.

"Herp derp we drilled amber to get dino DNA from bugs so we can have parks with a t-rex!"

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: June 23, 2015, 08:36:26 am »

The farmlands in New Vegas are bigger than they appear.  Same thing happens in Oblivion and Skyrim - certain elements of the world are massively squashed for gameplay reasons.

And I still think there's plenty of scavengable preserved food in the Capital Wasteland to maintain the survivors for generations more...  But I did recently read that they have hydroponics operations in some of the holds (Rivet City at the least).  I wouldn't be surprised if the magic radiation ended food spoilage, too.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 23, 2015, 08:42:39 am »

The only unrealistic thing about Fallout NV farms are that they are mostly unguarded. You'd think farms would be important places in the mojave. Altough there are mods that address this by putting NCR patrols around the farms.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: June 23, 2015, 08:53:50 am »

Makes as much sense as anything else really. It's all contrived writing to arrive at a specific setting. Every book and movie does it.

"Herp derp we drilled amber to get dino DNA from bugs so we can have parks with a t-rex!"
You cannot suspend a person's disbelief to make them believe that having a stable food source for eating, the most common thing humans do, is somehow not important for a society. It's called bad worldbuilding.

It's not like there is no food in FO3, it's just that no-one seems to be making any. Save for the pen in front of Canterbury Commons and the lab of Rivet City. I mean all All I'm asking for is for someone in the game to acknowledge the fact there are no farms anywhere and tell me where their food is coming from.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1704 on: June 23, 2015, 08:57:29 am »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: June 23, 2015, 08:58:05 am »

Ok. I think you are trying to wrap sense around things that are never explained that way. Like you're putting more thought into it than Bethesda ever did.

Who in the game said there's thousands of old foods lying around for the taking? That there's anything left to scavenge at all after 200 years seems like a simplification for the sake of gameplay more than anything (so that the player has anything to gain from scavenging outside of raider bases).

The soil is not poison. There are animals that live off it.

They do not have fortified walls nor high-tech weapons, they have garbage that a behemoth could headbutt out of the way. And places like The Republic of Dave just have a chainlink fence. As I said, the only place that looks remotely defensible is Rivet City. They don't look all that concerned about defending themselves.

There are places in the West Coast such as the Boneyard (Los Angeles) that got bombed to hell yet have people living in them by FO1. The effects of nuclear bombs are not that widespread and longlasting, even in the FO universe.

They do have GECKs in the East. They have a dozen vaults spread around, each with 2 GECKs. There's only like 4 vaults ever that didn't get a GECK. All they have to do is go in and take one. Instead they're sitting around like morons, too busy collecting vintage nuka cola bottles.

Also radiation is very different in this setting than in reality.  It's one reason everything is nuclear-powered.  Heck, I don't think ghouls are a result of FEV...  Just magic radiation doing weird nonsense.  A lot of them were turned when the bombs dropped, long before the FEV started spreading.  AFAIK.
Not really. The FEV spread when a bomb directly hit the West Tek research facility (later known as The Glow). Although it's somewhat disputed whether ghouls are a result of plain 50s pop-scifi radiation or radiation mixed with FEV. The latter makes more sense (and is stated as canonical in the Fallout Bible), but the former is what the original creator envisioned.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: June 23, 2015, 08:58:29 am »

The argument that DC and major cities are "so highly irradiated" holds no water, because nobody's arguing that there should be major farms right in the middle of the Mall. Lots of farmland around, specially near the eastern seaboard. Just getting slightly far away from the cities you should have more-or-less un-bombed farm area (who would target acres and acres of nearly empty ground?) even if it's not all green and fertile after the war it's going to beat a desert. If people are so stubborn that they want to settle in the worst area possible, the more reason trading with crude farms a few miles to the west should be a big thing.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 09:01:02 am by Sergius »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1707 on: June 23, 2015, 09:04:07 am »

Yeah the existence of the GECKs does create a problem. Each one is supposed to magically terraform the area around them into a living ecosystem. So where are these amazing living areas where the GECKs were triggered?

In Fallout 3? when you get a GECK if you try to trigger it, it kills you during the terraforming process. Maybe that's why nobody has used them?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:41 am »

That was a bit of a retcon. Originally GECK was just a fusion generator and a few holotapes and seeds, maybe some additional equipment to help farming. Bethesda decided they wanted Project Genesis. KHAAAAN(s)!

That's why I wouldn't say that Vault City or Shady Sands magically turned the ground fertile like a bomb, since it was written pre-retcon. Maybe some sort of Rad-Away infused fertilizer?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1709 on: June 23, 2015, 09:13:21 am »

A fusion generator and some seeds doesn't let you build a big damn city though. That takes a ton of material, time, labor, and heavy construction equipment. More than could reasonably stored in a vault, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 128