Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212091 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1410 on: March 07, 2015, 01:04:22 am »

Are there any mods that replace/remove the GODDAMN HACKING "MINIGAME"?

I'm at the point in my frustration with it that I just use the console on any computer within my science abilities, which is slow and makes me feel very slightly bad. VERY VERY SLIGHTLY.

The hacking minigame is INCREDIBLY easy though if you know what you are doing.

You locate the mistake reset AND the "eliminate a wrong choice" and you are already halfway there.
Dude, we literally just talked about how it's not the difficulty, it's the fact that it's tedious time-wasting just getting to the point where you figure out the password and entering your guesses. You can get it right the first time almost every time, but it can take a minute or more to get through all of the loading &c. I mean, I appreciate that they bothered putting in something that's vaguely puzzle-like, but it takes less time to pick a high-difficulty lock than it does to load the hacking interface to the point where you can guess the password.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: March 07, 2015, 01:36:58 am »

But... you can click past all that.  Still takes like 5 seconds or so though, which is a bit tedious admittedly.

Its not just the startup time, its the whole minigame.

Lockpicking takes ten seconds and you can retry until it works, hacking takes ten MINUTES. and you might not get the answer and be locked out.

Its a case of simple game balance.
Also this is just ridiculous.  Hacking takes maaaybe a minute for the hardest ones, and you can retry after three guesses as many times as you need.  While lockpicking uses up bobby pins, so you can't just retry...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 07, 2015, 01:42:31 am »

But... you can click past all that.  Still takes like 5 seconds or so though, which is a bit tedious admittedly.

Its not just the startup time, its the whole minigame.

Lockpicking takes ten seconds and you can retry until it works, hacking takes ten MINUTES. and you might not get the answer and be locked out.

Its a case of simple game balance.
Also this is just ridiculous.  Hacking takes maaaybe a minute for the hardest ones, and you can retry after three guesses as many times as you need.  While lockpicking uses up bobby pins, so you can't just retry...

The actual puzzle doesn't take long, but the animation that occurs between activating the terminal and the puzzle itself takes about a quarter minute each time it runs, which can add up to a significant amount for the harder puzzles.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: March 07, 2015, 01:49:03 am »

Eh, my 2 cents is that the hacking minigame just isn't fun and it's another layer of filler on top of you already needing the skill to hack the terminal. Even with clicking past all the animations and the fact that it's not particularly difficult... If it's just not FUN in a single player game there's no reason to not to remove it if you have the option.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: March 07, 2015, 01:57:02 am »

Eh, my 2 cents is that the hacking minigame just isn't fun and it's another layer of filler on top of you already needing the skill to hack the terminal. Even with clicking past all the animations and the fact that it's not particularly difficult... If it's just not FUN in a single player game there's no reason to not to remove it if you have the option.

Agreed. (I have the same issue with the minigames in Ratchet & Clank. In facf, I'd say that this is true of minigames in general, with the sole exception of games like WarioWare that are purely collections of minigames)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: March 07, 2015, 02:02:39 am »

but the animation that occurs between activating the terminal and the puzzle itself takes about a quarter minute each time it runs,
As has been pointed out earlier, you can click through these animations in ~5 seconds. Though it probably should have been designed with a shorter animation.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: March 07, 2015, 02:06:40 am »

but the animation that occurs between activating the terminal and the puzzle itself takes about a quarter minute each time it runs,
As has been pointed out earlier, you can click through these animations in ~5 seconds. Though it probably should have been designed with a shorter animation.

Sometimes it doesn't let you click through, especially on the second or later consecutive activation of a particular terminal.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: March 07, 2015, 07:48:45 am »

Can't you skip through the animation?

But even then I've found looting to take longer in general.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: March 07, 2015, 09:31:33 am »

The hacking minigame is easy but it's a waste of time.

Anyway there's this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34829/?

For both computers and locks. 100% force lock chance, and only one password. You still need the proper skill level so it's not unbalanced.

Thankies!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: March 07, 2015, 09:34:46 am »

Sometimes it doesn't let you click through, especially on the second or later consecutive activation of a particular terminal.

This has been my experience, and it doesn't even have the decency of being consistent -- sometimes it locks into the animation, sometimes it lets me skip.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 07, 2015, 10:04:21 am »

But even then I've found looting to take longer in general.

That can be solved by increasing ypur carrying capacity via the console ("player.modav carryweight 5000")
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: March 07, 2015, 10:06:59 am »

Ultimately it's unrealistic that you have to unlock most of these doors anyway, given that you're usually armed with explosives and/or a chainsaw or sledgehammer
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 07, 2015, 10:38:02 am »

Resetting the terminal or reloading the game causes the terminal to go into that partially unskippable animation as a bit of an anti-cheat measure. Sure, the intention was good, but it's more of a pain in the ass than anything.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 07, 2015, 10:42:29 am »

There is a mod that allows you to use explosives to unlock doors/safes/etc, but I kind of forgot its name.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 07, 2015, 11:13:35 am »

There is a mod that allows you to use explosives to unlock doors/safes/etc, but I kind of forgot its name.

Explosive Entry I think. Though it can destroy whatever's in a safe you're trying to breach.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 128