Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212221 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1200 on: October 09, 2011, 02:08:41 pm »

For those of you who still play this on occasion, this seems like one of the best mods I've ever seen:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=44204

Supposedly, it fixes a good portion of CTDs caused by buggy code and other stuff. To quote the page:

Error Corrections - Reduce CTD is the same idea as the Fallout 3 version. Fix Stuff, Reduce CTDs. People rejoice.
Nothing this mod does will ever be a mystery, all changes are documented in some way shape or form and all information is available to you to view.

We keep getting asked not what we are doing but HOW what we are doing helps. This is a legitimate question. And here is the answer:
By repairing all these bug/errors and disabling unused records in the esm files this will result in less crashes to desktops(ctds) and smoother gameplay throughout NV. The game engine will have less to process and worry about with all the unused archives out of the way and the errors that are related to them.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2012, 04:32:12 pm »

Necromancy powers activate!

I absolutely love the Fallout series of games, especially New Vegas and the original two. I've been playing a bit of it recently, but I've been plagued with crashes every ten minutes or so. I really just can't play any recent Elder Scrolls or Fallout game without tons of mods, so that's probably part of the problem. I figured it would be best to post here than it would be to plague the Other Games section with new threads. If anyone can offer any advice, here's my load order:
Code: [Select]
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
More Perks.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
CINEMATECH.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
More Perks for Companions.esm
More Perks for Dead Money.esm
More Perks for Honest Hearts.esm
IWR.esm
More Perks for Old World Blues.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
CFWNV.esm
UnlimitedCompanions.esp
UnlimitedCompanions SCRIPT FIX.esp
UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp
Wasteland Defense.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
DYNAVISION 2 - Dynamic Lens Effect.esp
UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-OWB.esp
WMX-DeadMoney.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-HonestHearts.esp
WMX-OldWorldBlues.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
EVE FNV.esp
WMX-EVE.esp
The Groovatron NV.esp
OWB-Path Lights.esp
thewastelandstream.esp
NVBabyDeathclawCommander.esp
CRHDV3O3.esp
CRHDV3O2.esp
Night Brightness Adjuster.esp
More Perks for Companions Update.esp
More Perks for Dead Money Update.esp
More Perks for Honest Hearts Update.esp
More Perks for Old World Blues Update.esp
More Perks Update.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
Continue After Ending V1.9.esp
DriveableMotorCycle.esp
Boacombat2glove.esp
boa ncrpahelmet.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
AKS74u.esp
PimpMyScarf.esp
357retex.esp
Alternative Start.esp
UrgeWasterScarf.esp
MediumBeardAlt.esp
christinecos.esp
PancorJH.esp
MP412REX.esp
Millenia_Tokarev.esp
BM4A1.esp
MaresLeg.esp
KABAR.esp
M37Ithaca.esp
AK47.esp
M14.esp
Mateba.esp
Uzi.esp
Classic FO SM_v1.2.esp
CFW-OWB.esp

Total active plugins: 74
Total plugins: 90

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2012, 04:55:28 pm »

I had a similar mod list. Despite how awesome the game became, crashes and big FPS drops were rather regular in the game. I gave up trying to set it right after days of trying and completely removed the game. Bethesda games are good, but they are only good with mods. Vanilla sucks.

BTW, be careful when handling the Project Neveda mod.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:22:53 pm by Leatra »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2012, 07:53:34 pm »

I don't know what half of those are, so I'm having to guess at what they do.

First off, move all the .esm's to the top, and all the .esp's to the bottom. Start with core .esm's, then big, sweeping changes like project nevada and WMX, then compatibility patches (if any), then miscellany, then .esp's in the same order as .esm's.

That... might fix a few errors and will ceratainly clean up a few issues in your load order.

But I'm pretty sure some of the problems are coming from the random added weapon mods at the bottom conflicting with WMX and project nevada. To fix that you're going to have to decide which mod should take priority, move it to the bottom, and build a bashed patch with your entire load order enabled to straighten out whatever conflicts are causing all the issues.

Here's a link to Wrye Bash, with a download link at the top. Making a bashed patch is far outside the realm of this post, and others have written better guides than I could, BUT once I started maintaining one the game got much more stable and enjoyable.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 16, 2012, 12:29:00 am »

I'm not sure why the weapon mods would conflict with Project Nevada or WMX, but I'll make sure to follow your other advice.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 16, 2012, 01:19:13 am »

It has to do with the way the game data stores items. I've never used the TESCC/GECK, but as I understand it, a set of game data like the Tokarev pistol is one linked object, made up of all kinds of stuff like texture information, a leveled list reference (how the game knows where the gun fits into the world, who should carry it, what vendors stock it, when it should appear), and assorted other data. This means individual parts can't be changed by different mods, whichever mod loaded last takes precedence.

Just an example of how WMX could conflict:
Spoiler: How WMX works (click to show/hide)

Suppose one of the new weapons replaces or poorly duplicates a vanilla weapon entry that WMX tries to access. If the Tokarev mod is loaded last, it will overwrite changes WMX made to the vanilla pistol entry, which could cause WMX to look for a weapon (tokarev with laser sight) that doesn't exist. Crash.

What compatibility patches (and bash patches) do is figure out where data changes conflict, and determine which mod takes precedence. In this case, WMX would need to take precedence, so the patch would load WMX's changes last, and need to be placed at the end of the load order. Unfortunately, the more mods added (especially mods that change the same thing), the more likely that two of them try to change the same dataset and cause a conflict.

If any else here has made mods, I'm sure they could explain it better than I could.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: December 16, 2012, 01:36:59 am »

Well, you can't put WMX mods on those custom weapons if I'm correct, so I don't think it would matter.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:44 am »

Depends on how the custom weapons are implemented. That's a problem I kept running into with smaller mods; whoever made them would change anything they wanted and ship it, compatibility be damned. Unfortunately, it was also a huge problem with uh... whatever that one fallout 3 mod was that made NPC faces look human, instead of Bethesda-standard frog mutant. NPC's work like weapons, so changing the face data made it incompatible with almost every other mod, ever.

It's sort of a problem on Bethesda's end, and as long as they keep importing the core engine from project to new project it'll still be a problem. And I'm rambling now. Just wanted to pass along what worked for me, is all.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 16, 2012, 01:54:05 pm »

So, here's my (hopefully) fixed load order. It seems to have maybe-sorta worked a little bit? It still crashes, but it doesn't seem to quite as quickly as before. It might just be a placebo, though.
Code: [Select]
FalloutNV.esm
DeadMoney.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - Highways and Byways.esm
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esm
More Perks.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
CINEMATECH.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
More Perks for Companions.esm
More Perks for Dead Money.esm
More Perks for Honest Hearts.esm
IWR.esm
More Perks for Old World Blues.esm
AWorldOfPain(Preview).esm
CFWNV.esm
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
UnlimitedCompanions.esp
UnlimitedCompanions SCRIPT FIX.esp
Wasteland Defense.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp
DYNAVISION 2 - Dynamic Lens Effect.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-Brighter Lighting.esp
UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV-OWB.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DeadMoney.esp
WMX-HonestHearts.esp
WMX-OldWorldBlues.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
EVE FNV.esp
WMX-EVE.esp
The Groovatron NV.esp
OWB-Path Lights.esp
thewastelandstream.esp
NVBabyDeathclawCommander.esp
CRHDV3O2.esp
Night Brightness Adjuster.esp
More Perks for Companions Update.esp
More Perks for Dead Money Update.esp
More Perks for Honest Hearts Update.esp
More Perks for Old World Blues Update.esp
More Perks Update.esp
Tailor Maid - NV.esp
Continue After Ending V1.9.esp
DriveableMotorCycle.esp
Boacombat2glove.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
AKS74u.esp
PimpMyScarf.esp
Alternative Start.esp
UrgeWasterScarf.esp
MediumBeardAlt.esp
christinecos.esp
PancorJH.esp
MP412REX.esp
Millenia_Tokarev.esp
BM4A1.esp
MaresLeg.esp
KABAR.esp
M37Ithaca.esp
AK47.esp
M14.esp
Mateba.esp
Uzi.esp
CFW-DM.esp
CFW-OWB.esp
RagingBull.esp

Total active plugins: 74
Total plugins: 91

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 16, 2012, 06:12:51 pm »

That looks much more orderly. It'll settle some load-order issues, but not any data conflicts like leveled lists and all that. Again, depends on how each mod is made.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 16, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »

Best house mod I found:

Underground Hideout

It comes with some sort of tool that lets you move the entrance anywhere you want in the map (it's some sort of manhole). I think you have to finish some sort of mini quest to get it?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: December 18, 2012, 02:49:36 am »

Little late to the party here, at least for the PC version, but I've finally got a computer that can run it (on Ultra-High, no less). It's 2:47 and I've finally gotten it to run with my frankensteinian 30+ item load order, but sleep is for the weak!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: March 01, 2015, 07:18:00 pm »

Huh, necroing a topic by 120+ days produces a warning message.  Now I know.  I feel it's justified though.  The Skyrim thread is still Bethesda General, but there's so much to discuss about New Vegas specifically.

At least among my group of friends, the ethical dilemmas at least have lead to literally hours of impassioned debate.  Only one of us supports the Legion, and only to be laughably evil.  Otherwise it's pretty much NCR vs enlightened player-run dictatorship.  (Though *all* of us sympathize with House, he isn't quite our first choice).

I'm the NCR loyalist, and I may as well make my case.  Yes, the NCR has issues.  The weight of its bureaucracy has led to corruption and inefficiency, which have led to unjust deaths.  Of brave NCR soldiers as well as locals.  The NCR is expansionist, even to its own detriment.  This cannot be denied.

But this is because the New California Republic is dedicated to bringing civilization back to a broken land.

New Vegas is a powerful state, with precious natural resources in the form of the dam.  But could it really stand on its own?  If the Bear or the Bull withdrew, wouldn't the other be able to overwhelm the securitrons and destroy Mr House's utopia?  Maybe, maybe not.  There's not enough information to say.

But there's no need!  New Vegas already operates practically as a NCR state.  It sends energy to the west, and receives protection in return.  While maintaining a powerful military force of its own which ensures it is respected at the bargaining table.  This arrangement is stable, even if the securitron army is never expanded.  The NCR could probably win, but doesn't want to face the cost and public outcry of overwhelming New Vegas with troops.  New Vegas doesn't want to be weakened or crushed, particularly with a vicious horde to the east diametrically opposed to its every ideal.

So my hero decided to support the NCR.  Though...  the death of Mr House, was...  One of those things that logically must happen, for the greater good, yet will haunt her every night forevermore.  Because he was a good man, who also dreamed of building a shining new world out of ash.  Not to mention a genius, possibly the only good person to prepare *before* the bombs dropped.

Evil people of the old world prepared, of course.  The... Enclave.  Perhaps my perspective is skewed, but I played in this order:
Fallout 2
Fallout 3
Fallout 1
Fallout: New Vegas
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

And I will never forget or forgive the Enclave's actions in FO2, or before the war.  I have yet to confront their craven descendents in New Vegas.  I will listen before passing judgement, but they must admit that evil was done.

I haven't even discussed the Brotherhood of Steel, which I consider my foremost loyalty.  But I suspect this post is already large enough to start discussion.  I especially want to hear from people who disagree with me, because the beauty of FO:NV is that there is no one good side. 

(Just one stupidly evil side, why the hell did they make the Legion so evil, they could have been SO MUCH MORE INTERESTING)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: March 01, 2015, 07:52:55 pm »

From what I understand, they made the Legion so evil because of deadlines/budget cuts/Bethesda being a cunt. Basically they were going to have a few Legion-controlled towns that were pretty pleasant places to live to play up the 'Brutal but Competent' angle they had going. So less evil and more we're doing what we must to preserve civilization or something like that. Except they ran out of time to do that, and Bethesda wouldn't extend the deadlines and did all they could to not pay bonuses too so NV was released with what it had. Hence the Legion was evil without having the counterbalance that they were originally intended to have.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: March 01, 2015, 08:04:51 pm »

From what I understand, Ulysses was originally supposed to be the Legion-centric follower but got cut and turned into the Courier's shadow archetype in the DLC arc.

I honestly believe the Legion was forcibly changed halfway through development simply because the questline for them feels half-formed at best. As far as I recall, there are two characters that directly tell you what life is like in Utah (Raoul and the trader in the fort), and both barely discuss what life was like before the Legion. Raoul will very adamantly tell you that life there was complete hell before the Legion came along, and that under Caesar's rule everyone is safe from the bandits and marauders. No one starves.

But what gets shoved in our face constantly is rape and slavery, which are cartoonishly villainous compared to the de facto Legion ideals that the two characters who actually know, will tell you. If someone threatens the Legion's citizens, it dies. Period.

Assuming that those overtly villainous overtones were added in lieu of fleshing out the remaining faction (and as I recall, the game got kicked out the door early in a semi-hostile move by the publishers), I would have sided with the pragmatic Legion over NCR's foolhardy attempts to recreate the government that screwed up in the first place. Good intentions don't feed people, and such overextension without care will lead to factionalization and, ironically, the same downfall that Rome itself succumbed to.

The Brotherhood are on a path to guaranteed extinction as it is. The rest of the world can just wait a generation or two for them to die out in their little holes, then come in and take their research for an actual constructive purpose.

House was the best bet for actual long-term progress simply due to his knowledge stores and pre-war tech stashes, but getting that benefit outside his area of influence would have taken time as well, because he had no idea how people work and no real desire to help anyone. It's been pointed out that his little snow globes are exactly how he viewed the world - an experiment or project that he's isolated from and will never care about.

All that said, as far as long-term prospects for humanity's prosperity, I'd have to rank them, from most to least promising:

1) An idealistic Wild Card courier who made peace with the Big Empty and Ulysses.
2) House, again provided the Courier can exert humanizing influence on him
3) What I think the Legion was supposed to be
4) The NCR
5) What the Legion actually was
6) the implied Wild Card ending with Vegas as an independent state
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 128