Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212239 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1170 on: September 11, 2011, 08:56:50 pm »

Yeah I get the fresh start impression reading over the changelogs. I can't say I blame them, it must have been a huge mess with all the CALIBR stuff and gunfappers (no offense to any RL weapons aficionados, I just never saw the point in getting bent out of shape over realism in a game about ghouls, mutants and nuclear aftermath).

Still, I do appreciate FOOK's compilation of bugfixes and minor tweaks, if nothing else. Maybe it'll make loadorders less troublesome to change this time around.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 12, 2011, 01:39:12 am »

RE: nVamp:

Definitely stay away from it. It's outdated and will probably crash your game. I learned this the hard way.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 12, 2011, 02:20:06 am »

RE: nVamp:

Definitely stay away from it. It's outdated and will probably crash your game. I learned this the hard way.

Yeah I looked up what it was out of curiosity. I can't find anything about NVamp itself, except that it requires "core files" that are a bunch of other mods. Is this just a FOMM merged patch? It's also recommended to make a Bash patch for it... which I could do myself.

So this thing went out of date because someone can't use FOMM to make a current merged patch for all these random mods?

Side-note, the original NVamp creator apparently is developing some RPG, that's almost ready for release in October. Their forums have... a collection of concept art. Link for curiosity's sake here.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 21, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »

Well, at the risk of double-post necroing myself...

Just finished playing through all the DLC's. Lonesome road wasn't what I expected, at all, but after the slow-ish startup I found it satisfying, if for nothing else as a tie-in to the other 3. I won't post spoilers, yet, but I was wondering if anyone else had opinions.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 21, 2011, 04:01:06 pm »

Wait, it's out already? Woo!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: September 21, 2011, 04:57:12 pm »

Well, at the risk of double-post necroing myself...

Just finished playing through all the DLC's. Lonesome road wasn't what I expected, at all, but after the slow-ish startup I found it satisfying, if for nothing else as a tie-in to the other 3. I won't post spoilers, yet, but I was wondering if anyone else had opinions.

Other than that, I enjoyed the DLC quite a bit, especially that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 21, 2011, 08:05:29 pm »

Unrelated: These level cap increases are overboard, I'm running out of meaningful places to put skill points and I'm not even 40 yet. jeez...

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:31 pm »

I liked the DLC, but I think the ending was a bit lacking. Atleast how I played it out.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 22, 2011, 02:57:24 am »

finished it in about 6 hours while trying to explore everything.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 22, 2011, 08:36:58 pm »

Well I reloaded a previous save from LR...
[spoiler]
I decided to just kill Ulysses and launch the nukes at both sides. But afterwards I felt kind of bad for killing hundreds of fake soldiers. I can never be the bad guy in a video game :/
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 23, 2011, 01:38:32 am »

Might wanna glance at that spoiler tag again :P

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1181 on: September 23, 2011, 04:31:36 am »

I think in Fallout's backstory the nukes developed are incredibly 'dirty', lots of radiation but a relatively small explosion compared to real life modern nukes which tend towards large explosion and reduced fallout (of course they're still friggin' nukes, so it's a lot of radiation. But relatively speaking...). Which explains why the actual devastation at the ground zeros you see always seem so lacklustre in the games xD

Also lol planet of the apes ending xD
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:51:47 am by MorleyDev »

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: September 23, 2011, 07:49:40 am »

I think in Fallout's backstory the nukes developed are incredibly 'dirty', lots of radiation but a relatively small explosion compared to real life modern nukes which tend towards large explosion and reduced fallout (of course they're still friggin' nukes, so it's a lot of radiation. But relatively speaking...). Which explains why the actual devastation at the ground zeros you see always seem so lacklustre in the games xD

Also lol planet of the apes ending xD

Actually, We tend to stick to lots of smaller warheads as well now. I read this science article a while ago about nukes and such, so I don't remember entirely how it all works, but it was all about the energy dispersal of nukes. You have your dirty bombs which are yes just small explosives compared to actual warheads, so that they disperse a lot of radiation. This is how our current strategy works though in a way. Instead of everyone building a bunch of Tsar Bombas, 50mt nuclear monstrosities, which of course hey I got a hundred of these who wants to fuck with me. The reason everyone has all of these minutemen style nukes now is the idea is to use A LOT of smaller warhead nukes, instead of one BIG nuke. The way it works is, the more energy used on the explosion, the less radiation there is going to be. The smaller the explosion, the more radiation. I don't remember the math behind it, and don't remember the exact way it worked and such, but that's simply how it works.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 23, 2011, 09:23:16 am »

The amount of fallout is more related to whether the nuke explodes hitting the ground or up in the air. Needless to say, WW2-style free fall bombs don't detonate until they hit the ground, so they kick up a lot of radioactive dust. Modern missiles are programmed to detonate much earlier.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1184 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:03 am »

Actually they explode shortly before they hit. The Little Boy (Hiroshima) exploded at an altitude of 1968 feet (~600 meters) and the Fat Man (Nagasaki) at 1650 feet (~500 meters). Though for a 4 mile blast radius it's still gonna kick up and irradiate a lot of dust xD

From what I've read, it's that the way they worked was just plain inefficient compared to the modern methods.

As an aside, I think one scientist once dared to argue (translation: got fired for suggesting it) that since as the explosive damage goes up with modern nukes, the relative amounts of long-term fallout goes down (basically it doesn't climb at the same rate), so we actually tend to greatly over estimate the potential to wipe out all life on the planet with our current nuclear arsenal. We could pretty much wipe out civilisation and knock mankind back a few thousand years minimum sure, drastically alter the surface of the planet permanently and reduce the life expectancy of every individual on the planet to their mid twenties, but enough of us could still survive for the human race to endure long-term. Personally I'm not wanting to find out if his theory is right or not but it's an interesting idea ^^
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:54:56 am by MorleyDev »
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 128