Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212308 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1050 on: May 02, 2011, 11:33:43 am »

The 'book' wasn't 100% correct though. After killing the BOS bunker for Caesar and than taking Veronica with me to attack the NCR where she died fighting, I still got the part saying that the BOS took over Helios one during the 2nd battle for Hoover Dam (How? There was nobody left alive!) and I get the part about Veronica saying she eventually got killed too, while she just died >.>

I also am kinda disappointed about Hardcore mode because it doesn't really make stuff any harder. The only annoying thing is that you cannot use stimpacks anymore for limb healing but eating / drinking / sleeping doesn't really matter imo.

For a first play through I recommend the NCR though. I got a lot of quests fails while killing their camps while the Legion hardly has any non story line quests.

I also didn't knew that this is the same kind of ending as the other Fallouts. I did play Fallout 2 and Fallout BOS but I never made it very far before I quited. FO2 was just to bugged and the combat was like playing the whole game with VATS, and I rarely ever use VATS because I hate it >.>.
FA BOS was ok but after a while I got stuck and I didn't want to start all over again.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: May 02, 2011, 11:50:26 am »

Hardcore mode is more like a Sims version of New Vegas. Just sleep a bit every so often, use food/water for healing, and don't use companions if you don't want to lose them.

Solo is more fun anyway.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: May 02, 2011, 12:51:41 pm »

Companions only die permanently in hardcore mode? That explains why Veronica still showed up in the dia show at the end. Seems kinda lame in you can just sacrifice them tough. I've reloaded a lot of times just because Veronica died. Next play through will definitely not be on hardcore mode, it just makes the game more annoying, not harder or anything.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: May 02, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »

(How? There was nobody left alive!)
You probably completed the quests and the game saw that completed quest tag.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, spoilers, spoilers everywhere
The combat system was ok-ish. I liked the exploration part the most

What i didn't like in Fallout 3 was :
- With broken steel every mutant you meet after level 8 is an overlord, that takes half a billion head shots to kill
- Why can't i tell the ghoul or the mutant to go into that irradiated chamber!? Nobody would have to DIE.
- Sniper rifle breaks in 10 shots? The **** !? One has to carry twenty of them into the wilderness
I think you should definitely give it a try.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: May 02, 2011, 03:05:29 pm »

Hardcore mode is more like a Sims version of New Vegas. Just sleep a bit every so often, use food/water for healing, and don't use companions if you don't want to lose them.

Solo is more fun anyway.

Also no more "pause and use 50 stimpacks". Every healing object gives you healing over time once you get back into the action.
Can still be exploited, if you carry several different types of food and eat one of each, you'll get a ton of healing.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: May 02, 2011, 04:18:52 pm »

Also no more "pause and use 50 stimpacks". Every healing object gives you healing over time once you get back into the action.
Can still be exploited, if you carry several different types of food and eat one of each, you'll get a ton of healing.
Eating people refills health instantly (though there is still the animation to go through).

My first partial playthrough with hardcore mode I found it annoying to have to either carry loads of food or always know where some is. Now I play a cannibal and never find myself very far from a meal.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: May 02, 2011, 06:51:29 pm »

The nVamp mod, in addition to adding a great deal to the core gameplay, also makes Hardcore mode, uh, more hardcore. I've actually managed to die of thirst once. Companions no longer die in hardcore mode, either. A lot of little balance issues are sorted out nicely. Cooking is a lot more convenient as you can use any oven to cook with as if it were a camp site, if you have flamer fuel.

Also, you can refill water bottles you drink from at any water source by sneaking and pressing E on the source. Getting ambushed by a swarm of Fiends can actually start to feel pretty intense if you're not on guard. Early in the game, walking out of Goodsprings, i nearly got owned by a Giant Radscorpion but got saved by the old man and his dynamite.

Speaking of Explosives... Yeah, you learn to run from explosives very fast with this mod. Powder Gangers managed to take my Power Armored self out several times with dynamite under my feet. Also, respect the mines.
!!&!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: May 03, 2011, 12:07:03 am »

Eating people refills health instantly (though there is still the animation to go through).

My first partial playthrough with hardcore mode I found it annoying to have to either carry loads of food or always know where some is. Now I play a cannibal and never find myself very far from a meal.
This is both hilarious and disturbing.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: May 03, 2011, 12:23:39 am »

It would be, but I'm used to it.
Mermaid farm anyone?

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: May 03, 2011, 12:53:35 am »

It would be, but I'm used to it.
Mermaid farm anyone?

And with that phrase, every dwarf fortress player who's seen that thread instantly knows that s/he is part of something strange.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: May 03, 2011, 08:25:55 am »

Yet, it always itched me to try it.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: May 03, 2011, 11:25:28 am »

3 new dlc's coming in the next 3 months according to PCGamer. The first will arrive in 2 weeks on my birthday! Breathing some more life into this already great game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/03/fallout-new-vegas-to-get-three-summer-expansions/
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: May 03, 2011, 12:34:30 pm »

Any good mods you guys recommend? As soon as I finish my first playthrough I'm going to mod the hell out of the game.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: May 03, 2011, 01:39:12 pm »

3 new dlc's coming in the next 3 months according to PCGamer. The first will arrive in 2 weeks on my birthday! Breathing some more life into this already great game.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/03/fallout-new-vegas-to-get-three-summer-expansions/
Honest Hearts on May 17? Damn, I have a while to go.

Any good mods you guys recommend? As soon as I finish my first playthrough I'm going to mod the hell out of the game.
Good is subjective. I use quite a few to my tastes; I suggest experimenting with high endorsement mods on http://www.newvegasnexus.com/.

Usually those with high endorsements are long running, or otherwise good quality mods.

My personal mod list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: May 03, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

I recommend nVamp. It's a mod bundle that includes, among other things, FOOK-New Vegas, Project Nevada, and Classic Fallout Equipment, CaliberX, and one of two weapon mod expansions.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 128