Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212423 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #810 on: January 15, 2011, 02:30:12 am »

Well, fuck. I've just ruined my reputation with a poor understanding on how it worked. I'm considering going back about 12 hours to get it unfucked.

I though it was analogous to the Karma rating, and I could swing it up and down with time and effort. Nope. Fuck.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 15, 2011, 03:04:35 am »

Also the title is "Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game".
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 15, 2011, 07:59:37 am »

Also the title is "Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game".

*snaps his fingers*

Yep, thats right.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 15, 2011, 04:52:23 pm »

I have 15 hours of playtime now, which is enough to say I'm competent enough to say my feelings for the game.

It's fun, feels like Fallout 3.  I liked Fallout 3, I'd say New Vegas is better.  Like the characters, like the voice actors.  Wish the game engine was better or different.  Feels way to restrained or maybe it's just the developers not making cooler creatures to talk to.  I guess with a radioactive future 50's the only unique people I can talk to besides humans are conscious ghouls, if you don't consider them human.  Oh well.

I've been playing slow though, level 7 right now.  Trying to level up for a mission.  It's really easy to just walk around and find stuff to do, which is always good.

EDIT:
Wait I remember the Nightkin now, those guys were definitely cool.  Hope there is more like that.  I guess there's robots too right?

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 15, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »

I have 15 hours of playtime now, which is enough to say I'm competent enough to say my feelings for the game.

It's fun, feels like Fallout 3.  I liked Fallout 3, I'd say New Vegas is better.  Like the characters, like the voice actors.  Wish the game engine was better or different.  Feels way to restrained or maybe it's just the developers not making cooler creatures to talk to.  I guess with a radioactive future 50's the only unique people I can talk to besides humans are conscious ghouls, if you don't consider them human.  Oh well.

I've been playing slow though, level 7 right now.  Trying to level up for a mission.  It's really easy to just walk around and find stuff to do, which is always good.

EDIT:
Wait I remember the Nightkin now, those guys were definitely cool.  Hope there is more like that.  I guess there's robots too right?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm.. I do find leveling slower.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 15, 2011, 06:25:20 pm »

Hmm.. I do find leveling slower.
Hell yeah.  It takes me on average 90 minutes to level up once, that's a pretty long time ingame for a RPG.  Maybe for a late level MMORPG I could see slower leveling, but a mostly console action rpg game?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 15, 2011, 06:26:05 pm »

It doesn't seem slower to me, but then I put one point into Swift Learner early on.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 15, 2011, 06:39:40 pm »

It seems slower to me... but that might be because you only get perks once every two levels now. It's easy to remember the even-numbered levels, when you got some awesome new perk-based ability, and forget the odd-numbered levels, when all you got was +5 to Science and Repair.  :-\

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 15, 2011, 07:00:09 pm »

+5? I get +17. 10 intelligence, baby. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 15, 2011, 08:25:43 pm »

I'm at 17 hours now, level 8.  That's 2~ hours per level for me.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 15, 2011, 11:35:04 pm »

I'm gonna say this: I level fast, because my install is modded to hell and back. I don't level because of hax, though - a good deal of my mods add in a lot of stuff so that there is just more to DO.

Of course, having a commitment to explore every location I find via regular gameplay and every side quest helps.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 16, 2011, 02:08:40 am »

Hrm I leveled up to 30+ once and up to 10 or 15 a couple more times in about 100 hours played, according to Steam.  Leveling never felt slow to me after I learned how the interface worked and got comfortable with the game.

Remember to use Fast Travelling as much as possible - it eats up in-game time, but speeds up your play significantly.  Actually running overland from town to town takes forever.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 16, 2011, 04:22:59 am »

Hrm I leveled up to 30+ once and up to 10 or 15 a couple more times in about 100 hours played, according to Steam.  Leveling never felt slow to me after I learned how the interface worked and got comfortable with the game.

Remember to use Fast Travelling as much as possible - it eats up in-game time, but speeds up your play significantly.  Actually running overland from town to town takes forever.

I play on the console, and its lead me to mix feelings about fast travel. On one hand, it does save me probably tons of time from simply retreading the same road over again, and stops me from expending resources on low level mobs.

On the other hand, its lead me to spending a shit load of time on the loading screen. As I'll fast travel to the areas threshold, then enter the area I was traveling too, and get hit with another loading screen.

Its annoyed me so greatly that recently I've started to plan travel routes where I'll be getting the most done with the least amount of loading screens.

I'm not sure how bad this is on the PC version. But frankly, I am frustrated by having Areas, sub areas and interiors (and sub interior) being separated by fucking load screens.

Traveling in the wilderness is pretty freaken awesome in FO:NW as it was in FO3, as it felt rather expansive and seamless.

Like, for example, in the Crimson Caravan, the barracks and office space shouldn't be separated by a fucking load screen.

Some areas, I wouldn't mind so much if they have a load screen, for three reasons.

1) Its a one off seldom visited location
2) Medium to Large in dimension
3) [Optional] Requires something unique to the area to work. (Such as special environment affects, or complicated scripting events.)

So, for the Nelson air force base, the Powerplant/Array I would be okay with it being separated by a load screen. As its kinda of a big area, but one off visit area.

However the Hangar, where whats his name that accepts the scrap metal and the older dude where you get the Quest for the bomber, shouldn't be a separate loading screen as it fails qualifier #1.

I think the more horrific offender with the overuse of load screen is Lucky 38. @.@.

You have the Fast Travel to the North Vegas Gate (1), Entering Vegas (2), Entering Lucky 38 (3), and finally entering the player house at four. Fucking horrible. I loath visiting my house, and only do so when ED is max out in weight, and I'm almost out of ammo or water.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 16, 2011, 04:25:02 am »

I play on the console, and its lead me to mix feelings about fast travel. On one hand, it does save me probably tons of time from simply retreading the same road over again, and stops me from expending resources on low level mobs.

On the other hand, its lead me to spending a shit load of time on the loading screen. As I'll fast travel to the areas threshold, then enter the area I was traveling too, and get hit with another loading screen.

I'm not sure how bad this is on the PC version. But frankly, I am frustrated by having Areas, sub areas and interiors (and sub interior) being separated by fucking load screens.

Let me put it like this: What loading screens? The only time is when you go through a door between zones, like entering New Vegas or the ones in Freeside, and entering buildings, which only takes a fraction of a second.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 04:27:43 am by Shadowlord »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 16, 2011, 05:13:15 am »

God damn it! XD I want it on PC now.

I think for the console version, thats the thing that I find most frustrating. New Vegas also lags the console. Repeatedly. One of the few consoles games where this has happen.

The only other game I can recall that lagged a console noticeably, was... a crap. It was a PS2 game, that was suppose to be a Halo killer. The name escapes me.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 128