Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206035 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #300 on: October 21, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »

I am honestly very impressed by this game. Sure, the gamebryo engine is the gamebryo engine and everything still looks like oblivion but on the inside, it's everything I wanted a Fallout sequel to be. The characters are generally lovely. I'm actually very interested in the plot.  I have a very hard time choosing between companions as they are all so fun and likeable. And the game feels like it acknowledges all your actions a lot more than in FO3.

I haven't actually encountered any major crashes or bugs that screwed me over completely yet (I guess we PC players lucked out on this as Xbox players are frequently getting save game wipes). I loved it when I went "what the fuck...." after the robot starts following you around all of a sudden and I loved a lot of the plot twists that you never really see coming. I'm also pretty sure they buffed a lot of the enemies as I've never been mauled so often by radscorpions and supermutants before. That's fun too! It really sets the mood for the world you're in and that's nice.

Sure, everything is pretty dated by today's standards, but I think the mood and the plot of the game is all there. It's not stellar by any means, but I'm definitely enjoying it and looking forward to playing more of it. That's more than can be said about FO3.

Edit: I liked ED-E more than I ever cared for the companion cube.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 21, 2010, 03:22:27 pm »

Maybe we'll see the Obsidian writing team and designers working on Fallout 4, one would hope. And one would hope that would also entail Gamebryo dying forever and being replaced by idTech 5

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 21, 2010, 03:29:55 pm »

I have a very hard time choosing between companions as they are all so fun and likeable.

Even though you can now give commands to them properly, I still hear that they slow you down and get in the way very often.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2010, 03:41:32 pm »

I have a very hard time choosing between companions as they are all so fun and likeable.

Even though you can now give commands to them properly, I still hear that they slow you down and get in the way very often.
I don't know what people who say that are talking about. The sniper dude has rescued my silly ass countless number of times. We've even camped on a hilltop sniping feral ghouls where he spotted for me and I took shots (this was not a quest).

The robot ED-E, people can get irritated, but his quest is very mysterious and alluring for some reason. :P He's also grown on me (I call him "Edee") as a roving backpack that signals me to enemies. He gets much stronger later when you finish his quest.

I play a really really really really low HP bumbling idiot, so any companion is stronger than me. Your mileage may vary.

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2010, 03:49:54 pm »

Rex is shit.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2010, 04:01:49 pm »

Now, everyone go grab that and print it right away:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34876

No more notes on pieces of paper. I wish it was in a pip-boy though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 21, 2010, 04:16:26 pm »

Is there a limit to the number of Companions? I can't get Veronica to follow me while I've got Boone.

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 21, 2010, 05:37:39 pm »

Is there a limit to the number of Companions? I can't get Veronica to follow me while I've got Boone.
Apparently it is 1 robot, 1 human
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 21, 2010, 06:02:22 pm »

Not really from what I played of STALKER. Most guns fired relatively straight and you weren't able to spray and pray like FO.
With the exception of the nato guns and the dragunov, combat in STALKER was: "aim at head, fire burst, repeat several times until a bullet actually hits", or, against mutants: "aim at face, empty clip, pray you can reload and shoot some more before it reaches you".

For me it was more of fire a burst at the torso, "duck" behind cover, locate enemy, fire burst at torso.
I know this is from 6 moths ago, but I just have to point this out: The correct way to fire an assault rifle is at the center of mass (for those who have been to first aid, but not military training- about where you are supposed to apply pressure during CPR. For the rest, yeah, torso.) Shooting at someones head is only done if
a) if the head is the only part you can shoot at (such as for example if they are in a trench, or behind a low wall, and are peeking out),
b) you are a trained sniper (with a sniper rifle) and the target is not aware,
and c)  you have a gun to their head.  ;)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 21, 2010, 06:15:30 pm »

The Legion just isn't a credible threat. Sure, they overrun towns. They're also incredible pussies. It's not like the Enclave where you got the impression that this was a serious Nazi-ish organization capable of actually taking over the country unless someone did something about it. These guys? Just die. Two low-strength dog-whatevers eat up Legion soldiers like candy. There was a random event in which about 6 Legion fought 3 mercs/3 NCR. The Legion rushed in with melee and got pwned. These guys better have numbers, because numbers is all they have. It's as if the actual Roman legions went into battle against guys armed with modern weapons.

Also, no Hardcore mode for me, and I'm not talking about the food and water stuff. ED-E is one suicidal little robot sometimes.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 21, 2010, 06:54:54 pm »

b) you are a trained sniper (with a sniper rifle) and the target is not aware,
As far as I know, snipers are trained to aim for the chest, not the head, since it's a much larger target and a high-powered rifle round to the chest is going to either kill or cripple the target, both of which take them out of commission. It's even been said that crippling an enemy soldier is better than killing them outright, because they're either left behind, harming morale and providing a potential source of information, or manpower is used up hauling them to medical facilities and those facilities are then occupied treating them (and a severely injured soldier is unlikely to be fit to return to the battlefield, even after they're stabilized).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 21, 2010, 07:01:32 pm »

Some sniper missions are of the "make sure this leader never gets back up" variety.

Of course, with the larger sniper rifles it doesn't make much of a difference whether it's head or chest. Center of mass with a .50 cal is gibs ahoy.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 21, 2010, 07:45:53 pm »

Alright, I'm just gonna come out and say it. This game has flaws. The largest of them techincal, but this is a damn good game.

Not to spoil anything, but being able to use my own companion as the replacement meal for a bunch of high-society cannibals among other choices? This is Fallout, people.

Obsidian did a pretty dynamite job if you ask me!

(Still, Could be tons more stable!)
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 21, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »

Picked this up yesterday but I've only had a chance to play it for an hour or so (HARDCORE MODE IS ONLY MODE AND NOT ACTUALLY THAT DIFFICULT? OK) Made sure to pick the Wild Wasteland trait and my first encounter was an irradiated fridge with bones and a fedora inside.

Rocking that hat hard.

Playing a female character it appeared to be fedora in the box, but when I put it on, it was a stupid feather plumed cap.  I was SOOOOOO close to forgiving the game too.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 21, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »

Okay, I just got to the New Vegas slums, and it looks like there's three gangs: The Kings, some women, and a bunch of black guys. I accidentally pissed off the black guys, and now I'm running for my life through the streets trying toy figure out how I'm supposed to get to the main questline.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 128