Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206269 times)

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #255 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:13 am »

Not sure about New Vegas.
Are the changes good enough to sell it as a fully-fleged new game?

Yes, definately.  I actually like this one more than FO3.  Feels slightly more immersive, as immersive as the butt puppet NPCs allow.

Have only had 1 crash in a 4 hour game run, and have yet to run into any real obvious or game breaking bugs.

The ability to breakdown ammunition into lead, casings, powder, and pack new ammunition into other shell casings is a freakin awesome feature.

Anyone plan on beating the vanilla before modding it?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 20, 2010, 10:41:41 am »

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56505
Pretty good first impression. Enjoy the damn game and stop moaning about your immersion  >:(

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 20, 2010, 10:45:34 am »

Oh god that damn radio station.  I wanted it on so I could hear about my exploits, which is always cool.  But three dog needed some damn new songs and needs to talk about the news in something resembling an intelligent fashion.

Wow, ain't that right... he was always doing witty remarks like: "Hey, it seems there's some cool cats doing some stuff like defending our freedom and happiness, next time you see them pat them in the back and groove and shit and...", or "hey, there's mutants killing poor folks, what do you think, mutants are bad or something, yeah, and what's up with the enclave, they're not groovy cats...", dude, just shut the f- up.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 20, 2010, 10:51:19 am »

Yeah, the ability to wear faction armor to blend into a faction (until a guard or a guard dog :/ see you) is a nice feature. And I was wondering why can't I report my brotherhood mission (they started to shoot me once I entered their place so I couldn't report my mission success) until I realized that I wear NCR trenchcoat.

I'm now in a *hidden* vault and I can't find out what happened there (with blues and reds experiment). I quite get the idea, but I've explored everything and it seems like there's nowhere to go else, but the story is unfinished and I don't see a note about that... Did somebody see it? I won't spoil its contents or location, I will just say that I now sit inside without ANY ammo because I've wasted it on night stalkers and fire geckos, and I don't know how to find the rest part of the vault's story :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2010, 10:56:50 am »

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:02 am »

My unimportant take on the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 11:46:01 am by debvon »

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 20, 2010, 12:37:40 pm »

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56505
Pretty good first impression. Enjoy the damn game and stop moaning about your immersion  >:(

lol, ok, wasn't really moaning, was praising the game

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 20, 2010, 12:40:57 pm »

but for the love of god, it's the FUTURE
Eh, man, it's Fallout, it's a pseudo-future, with old styled cars running on PURE ENERGY and all the 50/60s design. The theme fits perfectly. Remember Modoc or New Reno. Actually New Reno was really close to New Vegas in its theme. At least I love this part. Well, for each his own I guess, I liked the old Fallout 1/2 humor (although fallout 1 was more sane with this, it's Fallout 2 which took this silliness to new heights). But sometimes I feel like there's too much of it.

Secondly, and this ties into the cowboy themed crap, most of the radio stations are horrible.
Yeah, I agree that they need a mod, but Black mountain radio entertained me... for a while hehe. Then it repeated the same stuff again and again and became boring.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 20, 2010, 12:48:08 pm »

On the radio front I'm hoping for another set of great radio play mods. Maybe get some stuff like Gunsmoke going!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 20, 2010, 01:05:50 pm »

Just found out that I can get this game for around 27€ from amazon.
I might buy it, however I have some questions first.

Exploration and landscape:
What does the "new" wasteland look like? What has changed? Has exploration remained similar to FO3?

Crafting:
How complex is the crafting and gathering system? (I've seen comparisons to Morrowind&Oblivion, and I simply loved the Alchemy skill there)

Hardcore mode:
How well do the features meld into the game? Do they provide a nice challenge or are they just tedious? (I'm fond of survival games and FO3 has been to easy)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 20, 2010, 01:13:08 pm »

Just in case:
http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1123460-potential-fix-for-npc-slowdown/
Wow, my PC slowed down to hell when I saw multiple NPCs, now I can finally play. Thank you Soulwynd :).

Exploration and landscape:
What does the "new" wasteland look like? What has changed? Has exploration remained similar to FO3?

Crafting:
How complex is the crafting and gathering system? (I've seen comparisons to Morrowind&Oblivion, and I simply loved the Alchemy skill there)

Hardcore mode:
How well do the features meld into the game? Do they provide a nice challenge or are they just tedious? (I'm fond of survival games and FO3 has been to easy)
1) Well it's similar to FO3, but the look of the land is much closer to "Amerika" to me. "Capital Wasteland" in FO3 seemed... wrong. Also there're conveniently placed mountains which make you to travel far though dangerous locations, and landscaping is pretty neat. So far I enjoy it. Plus there're much more variable factions, and with a new feature to wear faction armor as a disguise you can walk different routes for safety (well, unless you fast-travel... I don't). So it's quite interesting.

2) The crafting system has quite a lot of ingredients and products. I wasn't using it too oftem, but sometimes it's handy. Although you have to remember components for required items you want to gather, because you can only see the "recipes" at specific workbenches... I am sure I will either remember them or find a mod or a FAQ with a list of recipes. However you can get followers which act as "workbenches" so it's not that bad further into the game.

3) After a few hours of play, I must say that Hardcore mode is pretty easy (there's a lot of food around, and water too), but it's a must-have for me. The requirement to look for doctor bags to heal crippled limbs and other features like that make combat tactics much more important. Food/sleep/drink part is really easy to satisfy though.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:18:23 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 20, 2010, 01:30:11 pm »

Hmmm the D3D9 DLL doesn't seem to be helping me much, in fact I seem to get worse now - near-locking up in battle o.o

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 20, 2010, 01:52:16 pm »

Thank you, Deon.
I might even order it today.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 20, 2010, 02:02:06 pm »

Why do you guys get to have F:NV and not us?

No fair!  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 128