Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206704 times)

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fallout: New Vegas
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:56:28 pm »

Hey everyone, I know I'm from a different forums, and there might be a New Vegas topic!
But I'd love to start a conversation on what seems to be a great overhaul of Fallout 3!
If theres another topic about this, you go ahead and delete this one.

But thanks!

Now here's a few things about Fallout: New Vegas that has been confirmed:

- Set in Nevada, most-likely near Vegas.(:P, easy enough)
- A new companion system, much different than the "conversation based" one in F3. Not sure how it works, though.
- Said to have more than double the weapons than F3.
- I believe you are from Vault 21, since in this screenshot it shows your character in a V. 21 uniform.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=9

- It shows a different variety of Super Mutants, and a new TV wielding robot.

A Weapon List! (By Screenshots)

- What looks like a new heavy weapon, not sure what it is, truthfully.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=2

- Golf Club! Four!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=12

- M-16! Finally added.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=14

- What looks like three pipes of rebarb supporting a Concrete Square used as a bludgeon!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=26

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:58:13 pm »

What's got me more interested is that it's being written by Chris Avellone and some of the other original Fallout games' staff over at Obsidian. New Vegas is based mostly around plans from the original Interplay version of Fallout 3 that was never completed. They also seem to be adding back familiar creatures like the Geckos.

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:22:54 pm »

What's got me more interested is that it's being written by Chris Avellone and some of the other original Fallout games' staff over at Obsidian. New Vegas is based mostly around plans from the original Interplay version of Fallout 3 that was never completed. They also seem to be adding back familiar creatures like the Geckos.

Hey there, I'm not too familiar with the past games in the Fallout Series, if you'd like anything added, then just give a holler :D.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:30:22 pm »

- M-16! Finally added.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=14

This shit again... Why is the original Fallout and Fallout 3 the only ones to do it right? Real world weapons don't fit the theming mostly... Besides the Ak-47 which worked only because of the cold war stuff.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

@Janet

Now that I think of it, your right. This was altered history, and the M-16 was spawned in '63.
Now in reality, it could be in there, but at the same time it seems fitting for it NOT to be in there.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »

I've read some very interesting articles about this game. If only I could remember where. I'll for them in a bit. Either way, more Fallout type games is never a bad thing. I wasn't really a fan of Fallout 3 too much, it was good, but it felt lacking, especially for Bethesda.

I'm glad they aren't making this one, though, pleases me very much, since my opinion of the three games of theirs I've played are, Morrorwind > Oblivion > Fallout 3, but I'm unsure how to feel about Obsidian.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was pretty good, better with friends, but what isn't, I've never played through the entire expansion (Mask of the Betrayer)for that game, but what I did, I enjoyed, but recent videos of Alpha Protocol, their newest game, put me off, and I was looking very much forward to it too. Every video I watched, made the game look lame, and terrible. Every interview I read, made it sound awesome, and awesome. It comes out this June, 1st even, so we'll see.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:45:23 pm »

@Janet

Now that I think of it, your right. This was altered history, and the M-16 was spawned in '63.
Now in reality, it could be in there, but at the same time it seems fitting for it NOT to be in there.

The great war happened in 2077. Vegas begins in 2280. I think they had plenty of time to invent the m-16 before the bombs dropped.

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 08:47:19 pm »

@Janet

The great war happened in 2077. Vegas begins in 2280. I think they had plenty of time to invent the m-16 before the bombs dropped.

Altered History being the thing that should've been in bold.
In 2077 they SHOULD've had vehicles 10x more efficient than ours, but they had DOS style computers.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »

It's not the Tech, it's the style. Something with the M-16s capability certainly exists. Just it probably doesn't look like it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 08:52:12 pm »

Well, I found the articles I read, then realized their photocopies of articles from a magazine. I have absolutely no idea if publicly linking them would be 'pirating' the magazine, or some nonsense, so I won't until someone tells me otherwise.

It's not the Tech, it's the style. Something with the M-16s capability certainly exists. Just it probably doesn't look like it.
Now that you've mention it, that bugs me too. D=

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 08:56:26 pm »

Tech and Style would've been much different than now.
Even compare vehicle designs, they really show what people (usually) desire in a vehicles design.
So many peoples designs would've been influenced differently.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 08:58:54 pm »

Hey everyone, I know I'm from a different forums, and there might be a New Vegas topic!
But I'd love to start a conversation on what seems to be a great overhaul of Fallout 3!
If theres another topic about this, you go ahead and delete this one.

But thanks!

Now here's a few things about Fallout: New Vegas that has been confirmed:

- Set in Nevada, most-likely near Vegas.(:P, easy enough)
- A new companion system, much different than the "conversation based" one in F3. Not sure how it works, though.
- Said to have more than double the weapons than F3.
- I believe you are from Vault 21, since in this screenshot it shows your character in a V. 21 uniform.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=9

- It shows a different variety of Super Mutants, and a new TV wielding robot.

A Weapon List! (By Screenshots)

- What looks like a new heavy weapon, not sure what it is, truthfully.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=2

- Golf Club! Four!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=12

- M-16! Finally added.

- What looks like three pipes of rebarb supporting a Concrete Square used as a bludgeon!
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=26

*SPOILIES*

- The new companion system is advanced and you can now issue more complicated orders to companions, much better than the original "FOLLOW ME!-STAY HERE!-STAND CLOSE TO ME!-STAND FAR AWAY!-USE MELEE!-MORE DAKKA!"

-you are NOT from vault 21, you are "the courier" you were carring a package when someone shot you. The "TV robot" finds you and carries you to a doctor where the tutorial begins. The new Main quest is to find the person you are supposed to deliver the package to, and why someone wanted you dead.

-The unknown Heavy weapon is, I think a grenade launcher...

-Yes there are new super mutants, and i believe they are tougher than thier eastern brothers ( i think they're called "nightkin")

The basics of the games are still the same, same engine, same combat, only tweaked, polished, and in a new place.

*end spoilies*

The reason why the fallout universe is not more advanced than ours is that after WW2, rather than take our path and follow computers, and other electronics, instead they went for advanced atomics.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:10:47 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »

The Style is all '50s. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the addition of the M-16, as cannon anyways. though in my current fallout 3 game, it's modded to include all manner of 20th century weapons.

I'm very much looking forward to New Vegas. However, I'm even more worried about obsidian handling things than I was about Bethesda. I'm not one of those people who consider's Fallout 3 to be a sacrilege to the greatness that was Fallout. (Mostly because I accept that it's a different game, and that it's not trying to BE fallout, just a decent Open world FPS-RPG hybrid in the fallout universe.) However, Obsidian tends to build things up, and leave HUGE plot holes and loose ends later(See KOTOR 2).

I have no doubt it'll be fun though. I'm looking forward to the PC modding Scene.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »

I've never played the orginal Fallouts, myself.

However, Obsidian tends to build things up, and leave HUGE plot holes and loose ends later(See KOTOR 2).

Kotor2 was pushed out the door by Lucas Arts for Christmas, I only blame Obsidian for not thinking ahead of time and maybe make one less world. (Or two, considering one world got completely cut.)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »

So computers, robots, power armor and laser cannons can exist but not M16s?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 128