Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212329 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #960 on: April 28, 2011, 05:21:36 am »

OK, so the starting area is a bit silly, let's fast-forward to Primm.  You invade a hotel that's held by convicts who have broken off from the main group of Powder Gangers.  OK, most of them aren't that bad, OMG THE LEADER HAS A FRIKKIN' INCINERATOR!!!  As a melee-centric character, I can say this encounter is pretty damn hard (almost impossible) without switchin' over to guns, and I really don't like to do that, or eatin' the med-x and stimpacks like a mo' fo'.  Other than that it's pretty easy, get a nice number of guns, armor is pretty lacking, but what are you going to do?

I made a character in Fallout 3 that was almost impervious to harm even in the very beginning of the game without armor, and went around punching people to death while shrugging off point-blank bullets and the like. After going through the entire Vault punching everyone hostile to death while ignoring their bullets (and carrying all of the armor, helmets, and guns out with me), I proceeded to walk up to super mutants and punch them in the face. Guess what? It's Super Effective. Works better than shooting them, and their attacks just glanced off my characters' innate Made of Ironness. This was all due to min-maxing my stats and using Perception as a dump stat (it was at 1 or something). I had int at 10, and str and end at 9 or 10 each, making the character both super-strong and super-tough.

My experience in New Vegas was that this doesn't work as well. I'd surmise that it was because the weapons and creatures were designed for the Damage Threshold system, and that endurance doesn't give you any DT. Running around with high HP due to high endurance, and expecting to be able to face tougher enemies than normal or punch everyone to death, presumably doesn't work like it did in Fallout 3 because the weapons are effectively far more powerful against anyone wearing inadequate or no armor, and useless against anyone wearing armor that is too strong for the weapon to get through. Your max HP is still important for determining how long you can last in a fight, but making it 3 times higher than normal generally won't let you win an unwinnable fight anymore (or leave the starting city and go punch Deathclaws to death for the lulz).

Note: I haven't played it with the new patch yet. Steam installed it the other day, but I actually started playing Morrowind again. I just stabbed a cliff racer to death with a spear while levitating, chasing it through the air as it tried to flee. Mwah-ha-ha.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:23:30 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: April 28, 2011, 12:02:54 pm »

I haven o idea if New Vegas is actually hard or not, because whatever enemy I fight is instagibbed by Veronica's powerfist...
This is probably the only game I know where your sidekick is a megaton better that yourself :|

I do agree with Norrec about the dungeons. There is an NCR doctor quest where you need to get into a Vault to find some agricultural wonders or something like that. The cault is filled with green and as you later discover, giant insects and greenpeace zombies. Well... ''filled''. I think I've encountered maybe 3 of the hippie zombies in my +- 40 minutes search in the stupid vault. It wasn't a large vault however, it was just a friggin annoying vault where it was unpossible to know what you actually had to do in order to get to the pointer... Just give me a game like Morrowind where you actually know what to do

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: April 28, 2011, 12:13:13 pm »

You should try playing with Boone.

1. Confronted by a swarm of Legion Assassins.

2. Oshit, start shooting wildly straight into one of their faces until it dies.

3. Notice all the other seven enemies no longer have heads in the time it took you to take one of them down.
4. Boone is five feet away, staring at you: ಠ_ಠ

I took Boone to fight Deathclaws. Same thing.

Anyway, I've started playing with the nVamp mod in New Vegas. Crashes even more often, but the mod is pretty awesome.
!!&!!

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 28, 2011, 12:52:07 pm »

I just decided to delete and reinstall New Vegas rather than deal with juggling compatibility for my mods - the majority of them were for the previous version, and I didn't feel like doing all the troubleshooting to fix them if they didn't like 1.3.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 28, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »

3. Notice all the other seven enemies no longer have heads in the time it took you to take one of them down.

Anyway, I've started playing with the nVamp mod in New Vegas. Crashes even more often, but the mod is pretty awesome.

What kind of difficulty you are playing, or maybe your weapon is shit of piece? I once fought about 10 deathclaws with boone, boy, we both saved each other's hides there. Much more interesting when you play hardcore with no saving without quiting, gives every fight an emotion. I love new vegas.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #965 on: April 28, 2011, 02:29:53 pm »

That's Hardcore Iron Man. I miss Iron Man mode.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

What kind of difficulty you are playing, or maybe your weapon is shit of piece? I once fought about 10 deathclaws with boone, boy, we both saved each other's hides there. Much more interesting when you play hardcore with no saving without quiting, gives every fight an emotion. I love new vegas.
I went fighting a couple of radscorpions and a couple of cazadors. Boone was slaughtered.

Then again, I was only level 7 and was playing on hard...
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 28, 2011, 02:37:10 pm »

Yes, gimme a game in 00's that has that mode... I can count 2: Warlords Battlecry 3 and Titan Quest.

I went fighting a couple of radscorpions and a couple of cazadors. Boone was slaughtered.

Then again, I was only level 7 and was playing on hard...

You're a crappy wingman, mate.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 28, 2011, 02:39:04 pm »

Boone's awesome but he WILL die if he is confronted by an adult cazador.

It'll just fly up to him before he can get a shot and sting the living fuck out of him
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #969 on: April 28, 2011, 02:52:50 pm »

Yes, gimme a game in 00's that has that mode... I can count 2: Warlords Battlecry 3 and Titan Quest.

I can think of two others... Dwarf Fortress and Windows Registry Editor. I mean, technically, they're both sequels...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: April 28, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »

DAMN IT!

The game keeps on crashing in Camp McCarran!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 28, 2011, 06:10:28 pm »

DAMN IT!

Any mods installed? May be an incompatibility with the new patch.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 28, 2011, 08:40:20 pm »

I must say that I love the bottled water mod.

If only there was one that gave you tin cans and shit when you eat canned goods (or a lunchbox when you eat a Caravan Lunch). It's not like you just shove the whole damn can down your throat, amirite?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 28, 2011, 08:41:54 pm »

DAMN IT!

Any mods installed? May be an incompatibility with the new patch.
Nope. No mods.

If only there was one that gave you tin cans and shit when you eat canned goods (or a lunchbox when you eat a Caravan Lunch). It's not like you just shove the whole damn can down your throat, amirite?
Wait, you don't shove the cans down your throat?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 28, 2011, 08:45:49 pm »

Well, excuse me for wanting a little more common sense in game. XD
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 128