Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206369 times)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2010, 07:21:33 pm »

for the idiots about the weapons, most weapons in the fallout universe came from government labatories or bases so there would have been caches lying all over the map, vault 15 for example had a weapons cache as part of the vault experiment. for the chinese rifles, the chinese did invade the united states during the war and occupied san francisco so their weapons would be here too lying around traded off. i have no objection to the m16, most of the military would have it and its easy to repair.

Reality doesn't matter. What matters is the presentation of the game to the player. You see this retro-futurism / raygun gothic / post-apoc thing. If you saw an ipod it would break immersion. Same with the m16. You want an m16, apply a fan mod. You want an expansion that cleaves true to the setting we've been playing with since Wasteland, you get a BAN-MAL or whatever they wanna call an assault rifle.
's not an x-pak, mon. It's an entire new game. And FO3 kinda threw that setting right out the window after lighting it on fire.

Oh, like Fallout: Tactics?
Your thinking of Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked more ass than Fallout 3, I'll admit. But didn't go quite to the level that Fallout 3 did in butchering of the setting. The problem is that most gamers didn't play fallout 1/2 first, and don't realize what havens of good writing, good story, and how many choices the games give you.

You also disregard the fact that fallout 3 completely butchers canon on a FANFICTION level. Enclave are supposed to be dead, ghouls aren't supposed to be just Rad mutants, but are supposed to be form by FEV or exposure to massive amounts of radiation. FEV was only supposed to be in Mariposa or in the hands of the enclave who got it from Mariposa, the world or at least the US was supposed to be nearly completely leveled but for a VERY few small pockets, how did Moira survive the heat wave that went out after the bomb, I could go on.

When I play it, it's like someone is sitting there shouting something at me, it goes something like this. "SEE SEE IT"S MY FALLOUT SEE SEE I MADE IT SEE SEE IT HAS ENCLAVE AND BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL AND SUPER MUTANTS AND NUKES AND FIFTIES STUFF AND EXPLOSIONS AND IT SUPER DUPER FUN SEE SEE I LIKE MY FALLOUT YOU SHOULD TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!eleventy11!!!" When they fail to realize they resort to actual necromancy, or complete rape of certain factions purposes. Most of the plot is recycled elements from the previous Fallout's, that were done much better in the previous ones. The writing is complete shit, bar a very few lines. The combat is too easy, unless you are a complete retard.

And I am done now.

EDITED because I made a flub as I wrote that.

So ignore the story and enjoy the gameplay? That's what I did. Its a Bethesda game, how are you expecting good writing?

The gameplay isn't even too good, they went for a shooter but ruined the shooting mechanics. They tacked on the the cheat-mode that is vats, in an effort to claim that the combat is in anyway "tactical." The loot mechanics are laughable, the npc's and criminal system are retarded("let's rest 3 days oh hay they forgot about me even the person I nearly killed"). The AI cheats and dodges FUCKING BULLETS. You can absorb so much damage it's not even funny. Stimpaks heal instant immediately removing what little challenge there was once you get enough. And you will get enough. Ammo is plentiful enough to not matter.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:19 pm »

for the idiots about the weapons, most weapons in the fallout universe came from government labatories or bases so there would have been caches lying all over the map, vault 15 for example had a weapons cache as part of the vault experiment. for the chinese rifles, the chinese did invade the united states during the war and occupied san francisco so their weapons would be here too lying around traded off. i have no objection to the m16, most of the military would have it and its easy to repair.

Reality doesn't matter. What matters is the presentation of the game to the player. You see this retro-futurism / raygun gothic / post-apoc thing. If you saw an ipod it would break immersion. Same with the m16. You want an m16, apply a fan mod. You want an expansion that cleaves true to the setting we've been playing with since Wasteland, you get a BAN-MAL or whatever they wanna call an assault rifle.
's not an x-pak, mon. It's an entire new game. And FO3 kinda threw that setting right out the window after lighting it on fire.

Oh, like Fallout: Tactics?
Your thinking of Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked more ass than Fallout 3, I'll admit. But didn't go quite to the level that Fallout 3 did in butchering of the setting. The problem is that most gamers didn't play fallout 1/2 first, and don't realize what havens of good writing, good story, and how many choices the games give you.

You also disregard the fact that fallout 3 completely butchers canon on a FANFICTION level. Enclave are supposed to be dead, ghouls aren't supposed to be just Rad mutants, but are supposed to be form by FEV or exposure to massive amounts of radiation. FEV was only supposed to be in Mariposa or in the hands of the enclave who got it from Mariposa, the world or at least the US was supposed to be nearly completely leveled but for a VERY few small pockets, how did Moira survive the heat wave that went out after the bomb, I could go on.

When I play it, it's like someone is sitting there shouting something at me, it goes something like this. "SEE SEE IT"S MY FALLOUT SEE SEE I MADE IT SEE SEE IT HAS ENCLAVE AND BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL AND SUPER MUTANTS AND NUKES AND FIFTIES STUFF AND EXPLOSIONS AND IT SUPER DUPER FUN SEE SEE I LIKE MY FALLOUT YOU SHOULD TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!eleventy11!!!" When they fail to realize they resort to actual necromancy, or complete rape of certain factions purposes. Most of the plot is recycled elements from the previous Fallout's, that were done much better in the previous ones. The writing is complete shit, bar a very few lines. The combat is too easy, unless you are a complete retard.

And I am done now.

EDITED because I made a flub as I wrote that.

Man, they had hairy Deathclaws. I took one look and I was like, dude, what the hell.

On the other hand, I've played and loved FO3, Tactics, and FO2, and they're all pretty badass. FO2 is still my favorite, but that fucker Horrigan is a mean son of a gun.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »

Man, they had hairy Deathclaws. I took one look and I was like, dude, what the hell.

On the other hand, I've played and loved FO3, Tactics, and FO2, and they're all pretty badass. FO2 is still my favorite, but that fucker Horrigan is a mean son of a gun.

Seriously if you like it, I don't care, just know there are legitimate complaints about it. I'm also kinda angry they led me on with the sweet, sweet, tones of Liam Neeson's voice.*FAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAPFAP*

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:33 pm »

Dude.

Yes.

EVERYONE IS GAY FOR LIAM NEESON.

EVEN WOMEN.

Also the explosive spears of Fallout Tactics could've been pretty awesome if implemented properly.
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2010, 07:58:28 pm »

The gameplay isn't even too good, they went for a shooter but ruined the shooting mechanics.
Looking at quote Number three I'll say you are a contradicting hipocrite.

They tacked on the the cheat-mode that is vats, in an effort to claim that the combat is in anyway "tactical." The loot mechanics are laughable, the npc's and criminal system are retarded("let's rest 3 days oh hay they forgot about me even the person I nearly killed").
Vats should have taken up more points or should have been less accurate. How is looting laughable? Pick up weapon, end of story. Also, the memory problem applies to Rivet city only, moron.

The AI cheats and dodges FUCKING BULLETS.
First you complain about it being a crappy FPS, then you complain about it being good? you scraping at the bottom of the barrel with a fucking microscope here, I'll tell you that.

Stimpaks heal instant immediately removing what little challenge there was once you get enough. And you will get enough. Ammo is plentiful enough to not matter.
I'm kinda weak in the fallout games here. Is fallout 2 in real time?
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »

Seriously if you like it, I don't care

Good to know you think everybody else cares that you don't.

It wasn't that bad. I don't play it anymore, and I regret having spent real money on it, but it was a fun romp for about 20-30 hours.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2010, 08:22:39 pm »

The gameplay isn't even too good, they went for a shooter but ruined the shooting mechanics.
Looking at quote Number three I'll say you are a contradicting hipocrite.

They tacked on the the cheat-mode that is vats, in an effort to claim that the combat is in anyway "tactical." The loot mechanics are laughable, the npc's and criminal system are retarded("let's rest 3 days oh hay they forgot about me even the person I nearly killed").
Vats should have taken up more points or should have been less accurate. How is looting laughable? Pick up weapon, end of story. Also, the memory problem applies to Rivet city only, moron.

The AI cheats and dodges FUCKING BULLETS.
First you complain about it being a crappy FPS, then you complain about it being good? you scraping at the bottom of the barrel with a fucking microscope here, I'll tell you that.

Stimpaks heal instant immediately removing what little challenge there was once you get enough. And you will get enough. Ammo is plentiful enough to not matter.
I'm kinda weak in the fallout games here. Is fallout 2 in real time?
Going completely randomly through your points.

Not really, it's a crappy FPS because of auto aim, the wierdo cone of fire, the crazy weapon degradation, and the down right dumb AI. Not really scraping the bottom of the barrel at all they were just completely different points. Also wasn't saying it was GOOD I was saying it was saying it cheated.

Fallout 2 is turn-based.

And no it doesn't watch Shamus Youngs let's play to see more. Specifically this one http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=8041 from about 2:28 on in tenpenny tower. And this one http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=8041 from about 18:00 on in the GNR building.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 18, 2010, 08:29:07 pm »

Holy shit, FO3 had auto-aim?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 18, 2010, 08:30:49 pm »

Yep. I don't have it installed anymore but I could have given you the Variable that controlled it.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 18, 2010, 08:31:32 pm »

Yep. I don't have it installed anymore but I could have given you the Variable that controlled it.

GODDAMMIT, I thought I just had really good aim.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20:05 pm »

Not really, it's a crappy FPS because of auto aim, the wierdo cone of fire, the crazy weapon degradation, and the down right dumb AI.

The need to repair weapons was a nice touch, but you'd probably complain if you could pick up a weapon and use it throughout the game start to finish.

The AI does have pathfinding issues, but the fact that it's an FPS doesn't mean that "THE AI DODGES BULLETS THERFOR IT SUCKS" is a c ompelling argument.

Not really scraping the bottom of the barrel at all they were just completely different points. Also wasn't saying it was GOOD I was saying it was saying it cheated.

Completely opposite as well. You said the AI sucks and then rant about how they dodge your bullets. I'm not sure about you but Shouldn't dodging be an example of good AI?

Fallout 2 is turn-based.

So, does that mean that Stimpaks give you full health instantly, like ALMOST EVERY OTHER GAME KNOWN TO MAN?

"The healing stuff gives me health instantly like L4D, Borderlands, Every turn based RPG I've played, HL2, HL, and plenty of others therfor FO3 sucks" is definately a poor argument.

Cut the crap and just say what your thinking: FO3 sucks because it's a FPS.

And no it doesn't watch Shamus Youngs let's play to see more. Specifically this one http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=8041 from about 2:28 on in tenpenny tower. And this one http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=8041 from about 18:00 on in the GNR building.

Jokes are not valid points.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2010, 09:56:24 pm »

Not really, it's a crappy FPS because of auto aim, the wierdo cone of fire, the crazy weapon degradation, and the down right dumb AI.

The need to repair weapons was a nice touch, but you'd probably complain if you could pick up a weapon and use it throughout the game start to finish.

The AI does have pathfinding issues, but the fact that it's an FPS doesn't mean that "THE AI DODGES BULLETS THERFOR IT SUCKS" is a c ompelling argument.

Not really scraping the bottom of the barrel at all they were just completely different points. Also wasn't saying it was GOOD I was saying it was saying it cheated.

Completely opposite as well. You said the AI sucks and then rant about how they dodge your bullets. I'm not sure about you but Shouldn't dodging be an example of good AI?

Fallout 2 is turn-based.

So, does that mean that Stimpaks give you full health instantly, like ALMOST EVERY OTHER GAME KNOWN TO MAN?

"The healing stuff gives me health instantly like L4D, Borderlands, Every turn based RPG I've played, HL2, HL, and plenty of others therfor FO3 sucks" is definately a poor argument.

Cut the crap and just say what your thinking: FO3 sucks because it's a FPS.

Jokes are not valid points.
Traveling bottom to top.

No, did you even watch those? It's not a joke he walks on to the balcony of Tenpenny tower, rest's three days, and everyone is fine and dandy.

I dislike healing mechanics in all of those games, I would much prefer something on the lines of a regenerating health bar, that heals slowly. Or medkits that heal over time. Also note FO and FO2 both had instant heal. My problem is that in all the other games that you listed you either have limit on the Healkits you can carry or they are distributed over time at a measured rate to insure difficulty is kept on a rising curve. I had around 249 stimpaks in my inventory at the time I uninstalled the game. At that point the game becomes not at all difficult and more of a lesson in patience and how many times you can press tab and heal yourself with the massive amount of stimpaks you have before you rage quit at how boring combat becomes.

Next point, Dodging bullets is not a good game mechanic nor is it good AI. Look at Deus Ex or SS2 for an FPS/ARPG blend that is done right. AI cheating does not make it a good AI, it's like rubberbanding in racing games, only less necessary to keep gameplay going. For straight up FPS's I like try STALKER, or Doom 3. AI is stupid in those too. But note they don't dodge bullets in either of those. Nor do they dodge bullets in deus ex or system shock two. Or even bioshock. Or Borderlands I think, I could barely stand it in any case(talking about borderlands here).

Further points, no I wouldn't complain if I could pick up a gun and use it the whole game cause at least that would make sense, but when I have to pick up a gun use it for 10 minutes, and then go into a CRAPPY INVENTORY SYSTEM, to repair it with other guns, it makes no sense. Hell if I had to bring it into a shop like in STALKER I probably wouldn't complain either, also in stalker at least you remain semi effective and semi-straight firing in all but the lowest of durability. Not like in fallout 3, where where it's more like "oh I see I'm spraying rounds in a massive cylindrical fashion, I guess it's time to repair with the 20 other guns like it, I found laying about" every five minutes. There are so many guns in the wasteland that, you would think they would have a gun based economy. Good guns too. Also another thing to note is that the durability of guns YOU LOOT FROM OTHER PEOPLE is determined by your own repair stat.

Pathfinding issues, hell I've seen NPCs walk into the room I'm in room RUN PAST ME and at the end of the room turn around start firing at me. Or when the get caught on a corner, or when they attempt to walk through desks. Or how about the fact that they NEVER JUMP or CLIMB/FALL DOWN LEDGES. Or how about when you walk into a room and it takes 10 seconds for the enemies to start firing at you. Or the fact that it takes them 6 seconds to stand from a chair or get up from a bed.  Or that they will let you go into a conversation with a NPC and not fire at you. Or how about if you kill someone completely alone in their house, EVERYBODY in town is out to get you, at least until you rest for three days.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:58:15 pm by Dakorma »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:17 am »

Seriously, I don't see how "the AI cheats" translates into "you mean the game is really good you hypocrite!"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2010, 01:36:10 am »

I don't get why we need to flame each other. Simmer down before Toady gets called in.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2010, 02:09:27 am »

Seriously, I don't see how "the AI cheats" translates into "you mean the game is really good you hypocrite!"

Fallout 3 is, and I JUST KNOW I'm going to get flam-bayed for this, but, to me it's like Twilight, it's badly written, derivative, dumbed down, and down right bad. Yet it seems to be liked by nearly 80 percent of people around me. To be honest I genuinely tried to like it in the hopes that I would "get" it. Just like I read Twilight in hopes that I would "get" it. And like Twilight it's one of those thing where if you don't like it people argue that "OH your just being argumentative/nitpicking, you really do like it." I mean I played VtM for TEN YEARS half of which I ST/DM'd, I know Vampires.  I've been playing Vidyo games for TWENTY YEARS, I know video games. I can fairly cognizantly decide what is good and bad about a video game. There's just about nothing that is good about fallout 3, that is not derived from the previous installments and even those moments are toned down in comparison. Here I'm going to go through the thing piece by piece and give you a quick break down.

Atmosphere, decent but ultimately ruined by the fact that you can't walk 30 feet without getting attacked by something.

Gameplay I've already covered above. The shooting mechanics are ultimately ruined by the abundance of healing items and ammo, auto aim and the redonkulous cone of fire. And the near weightlessness of one and the actual weightlessness of the other. When I completed the game the first time I decided to empty all my guns of ammo and melee the final fights. It took me 1 hour of just firing into a wall to give up on emptying my 556 ammo. And that was the first one I decided to empty. I had over 4000 rounds of 556. To give you an idea of the space that would take up. A 556 round takes up about 2.2 inches in length. So (2.2*4000)\12=733 feet you know what else is that tall, about 3/4 the Empire State Building. I had enough bullets to climb 3/4 the Empire State building. :o Now for stimpaks so guesstimating that stimpaks are around 4.3 inches long lets do that calculation again, I had around 900 with my character, and around 2500 stocked up in megaton. so 4.3*(900+2500)\12=1218 feet that's the whole empire state building-40ft.

Graphics don't matter.

Story, leeched almost directly from fallout 1 and 2. Completely nonsensical when looked at with the others of the series.

Quests, TWSG, ultimately, was stupid, but the concept was not, I would like to see more game implementing something like it. Just needs a little work on the delivery. Arefu was stupid, and a pain in the ass. Tenpenny Tower, the ghouls slaughtering the admitedly asshole-ish residents was the... good path? Fetch quests abound, nuka cola challenge, et al. Power of the atom was poorly conceived, and retarded.

UI is complete fail on the PC.

Writing complete fail on so many levels, it makes me angry that this game was praised for good writing. "You seen my dad, older, brown haired guy?" You mean, like, the 20 in megaton alone? "I fight the good fight with my voice kid, you better believe it!" "Intelligence: Ah, so you fight the good fight with your voice." "That's right kid you're just a chip off the old block aren't you." So my dad is functionally retarded, that would explain why he left me in a vault with a murderous megalomaniac without telling me he was leaving.

VO is immediately redeemed by Liam Neeson... Only to fail once he's dead. Budumtish

Sound doesn't matter.

Music was good, but ultimately the radio broke the atmosphere. In all but a select few places.

Have I missed any element.

Also, he's the one that was flaming, I have yet to toss out an insult.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 128