Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206375 times)

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 05:29:52 am »

Ya know instead of arguing this on the forums we should all go and annoy the hell out the company producing the game while we still have time and have them simply replace the model with something that looks more Fallout-like. Its not even that hard to change that kinnda stuff and you could most likely find a fan mod that does it within a week of launch. 
Thank you based dwarf.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 05:36:07 am »

I quite like Fallout 3. I think they did it very well apart from a few stupid decisions that can be easily fixed by mods. Now if I could just find the freaking disc....

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:26 am »

I loved Fallout 3, albeit after I got some fixes and stuff.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 01:27:36 pm »

I dig it once I get some good modding in. My mod load order right now has 92 esm/esp files not counting the core game and add-ons.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 01:40:37 pm »

for the idiots about the weapons, most weapons in the fallout universe came from government labatories or bases so there would have been caches lying all over the map, vault 15 for example had a weapons cache as part of the vault experiment. for the chinese rifles, the chinese did invade the united states during the war and occupied san francisco so their weapons would be here too lying around traded off. i have no objection to the m16, most of the military would have it and its easy to repair.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:18 pm »

for the idiots about the weapons, most weapons in the fallout universe came from government labatories or bases so there would have been caches lying all over the map, vault 15 for example had a weapons cache as part of the vault experiment. for the chinese rifles, the chinese did invade the united states during the war and occupied san francisco so their weapons would be here too lying around traded off. i have no objection to the m16, most of the military would have it and its easy to repair.

Reality doesn't matter. What matters is the presentation of the game to the player. You see this retro-futurism / raygun gothic / post-apoc thing. If you saw an ipod it would break immersion. Same with the m16. You want an m16, apply a fan mod. You want an expansion that cleaves true to the setting we've been playing with since Wasteland, you get a BAN-MAL or whatever they wanna call an assault rifle.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2010, 02:30:43 pm »

Reality doesn't matter. What matters is the presentation of the game to the player. You see this retro-futurism / raygun gothic / post-apoc thing. If you saw an ipod it would break immersion. Same with the m16. You want an m16, apply a fan mod. You want an expansion that cleaves true to the setting we've been playing with since Wasteland, you get a BAN-MAL or whatever they wanna call an assault rifle.
's not an x-pak, mon. It's an entire new game. And FO3 kinda threw that setting right out the window after lighting it on fire.

Morlacko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:05 pm »

i noticed two things in this thread.

1.-about AK weapons, im not an expert but, in year 2300 still they will be able to kill a guy with 1 2 shots... and they are cheap, and can be mood for accuracy i even heard of those being used as Anty Aircraft machinery. I dont see wi not, also, there is flavor and also also  very little relevance.

2.-I think what i saw and liked me the most about the "las vegas" editio is HARDCORE MODE!

no one else though Fallout 3 was stupid easy?

a... yes my english suks but im proud of it as it is :=)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2010, 03:08:41 pm »

After a fair bit of military experience I can say that the only way an AK can be preserved in firing order over even a modest 50 years is to soak the parts in gun(even seen motor oil) and then wrap in plastic or some sort of oil cloth. While they do exceptionally well in dust(as do the M4s) they are prone to more rusting and pitting issues than western weapons.
As was mentioned the design is one of simplicity and a relatively low tech factory could be set to stamp the parts. The real problem with this post-apocalyptic world is that ammo is what really breaks down fast. Even in sealed cans most ammo becomes unpredictable within 10 years not to mention how it would perform after sitting out in the elements. As far as the argument for reloading you can only reuse brass a few times before it is rendered useless. The brass also is vulnerable to worn or misaligned firing/pin/bolt/receiver which often damages it.

HOWEVER, I prefer to give over to the fantasy the designers and writers created for me. Immersion is your friend and only you can do it for yourself.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2010, 04:15:44 pm »

From Wikipedia: "The Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or V.A.T.S., will have the ability to use new special attacks. Usage of certain melee weapons will trigger unique attack animations. For example, using 9-Iron (a golf club) would show up as "Fore" and sends the enemy reeling for a period."

I'm sold. FOOORE!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2010, 04:47:54 pm »

's not an x-pak, mon. It's an entire new game. And FO3 kinda threw that setting right out the window after lighting it on fire.

Oh, like Fallout: Tactics?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2010, 04:50:23 pm »

Tactics is a lot of fun.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2010, 04:52:47 pm »

Yeah. So was FO3.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2010, 05:17:49 pm »

Your thinking of Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked more ass than Fallout 3, I'll admit. But didn't go quite to the level that Fallout 3 did in butchering of the setting. The problem is that most gamers didn't play fallout 1/2 first, and don't realize what havens of good writing, good story, and how many choices the games give you.

You also disregard the fact that fallout 3 completely butchers canon on a FANFICTION level. Enclave are supposed to be dead, ghouls aren't supposed to be just Rad mutants, but are supposed to be form by FEV or exposure to massive amounts of radiation. FEV was only supposed to be in Mariposa or in the hands of the enclave who got it from Mariposa, the world or at least the US was supposed to be nearly completely leveled but for a VERY few small pockets, how did Moira survive the heat wave that went out after the bomb, I could go on.

When I play it, it's like someone is sitting there shouting something at me, it goes something like this. "SEE SEE IT"S MY FALLOUT SEE SEE I MADE IT SEE SEE IT HAS ENCLAVE AND BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL AND SUPER MUTANTS AND NUKES AND FIFTIES STUFF AND EXPLOSIONS AND IT SUPER DUPER FUN SEE SEE I LIKE MY FALLOUT YOU SHOULD TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!eleventy11!!!" When they fail to realize they resort to actual necromancy, or complete rape of certain factions purposes. Most of the plot is recycled elements from the previous Fallout's, that were done much better in the previous ones. The writing is complete shit, bar a very few lines. The combat is too easy, unless you are a complete retard.

And I am done now.

EDITED because I made a flub as I wrote that.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:20:04 pm by Dakorma »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »

Your thinking of Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked more ass than Fallout 3, I'll admit. But didn't go quite to the level that Fallout 3 did in butchering of the setting. The problem is that most gamers didn't play fallout 1/2 first, and don't realize what havens of good writing, good story, and how many choices the games give you.

You also disregard the fact that fallout 3 completely butchers canon on a FANFICTION level. Enclave are supposed to be dead, ghouls aren't supposed to be just Rad mutants, but are supposed to be form by FEV or exposure to massive amounts of radiation. FEV was only supposed to be in Mariposa or in the hands of the enclave who got it from Mariposa, the world or at least the US was supposed to be nearly completely leveled but for a VERY few small pockets, how did Moira survive the heat wave that went out after the bomb, I could go on.

When I play it, it's like someone is sitting there shouting something at me, it goes something like this. "SEE SEE IT"S MY FALLOUT SEE SEE I MADE IT SEE SEE IT HAS ENCLAVE AND BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL AND SUPER MUTANTS AND NUKES AND FIFTIES STUFF AND EXPLOSIONS AND IT SUPER DUPER FUN SEE SEE I LIKE MY FALLOUT YOU SHOULD TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!eleventy11!!!" When they fail to realize they resort to actual necromancy, or complete rape of certain factions purposes. Most of the plot is recycled elements from the previous Fallout's, that were done much better in the previous ones. The writing is complete shit, bar a very few lines. The combat is too easy, unless you are a complete retard.

And I am done now.

EDITED because I made a flub as I wrote that.

So ignore the story and enjoy the gameplay? That's what I did. Its a Bethesda game, how are you expecting good writing?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 128