Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206512 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 01:26:21 am »

I had more fun getting my massive collection of mods working for Oblivion/Fallout 3 than I did playing either or them. Thats not saying I didn't like either game, but I really enjoyed finding out what was wrong and getting them to work for me more than the game it's self.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 02:33:10 am »

MMM is epic.

FMK is essential for me, as well as various fixes and tweaks.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2010, 02:46:27 pm »

MMM is epic.

FMK is essential for me, as well as various fixes and tweaks.
Fall Out Overhaul Kit, AKA: FOOK is good.
i think they have FOOK2 or FOOKU out or something also.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2010, 06:06:36 pm »

Besides the Ak-47 which worked only because of the cold war stuff.
the what, now? I'm sure what you meant to say was "AK-112 5mm Assault Rifle" (it's also, for some reason, Chinese...?). There is no AK-47*, M-16 or G3A3 in the real fallouts. They had some in Tactics, but that game is more Twilight 2000, then it is Fallout, robots and lasers notwithstanding.
*well seeing as how they have the AK series, the old man himself was probably in the time-line, but you also have to realize that in 2077 an AK-47 would be about as old+ as a Winchester 1873 (or to use another Russian example the Mosin M1891) is now. Still deadly, but in the immortal words of Indiana Jones "belongs in a museum"
+And by "old" I mean the design- one could conceivably still get a new M1891 (heck, one can probably make a M891 in shop class, they aren't that hard to make, if you're into this sort of thing.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »

I believe that the contemporary chinese assault rifles are canonically a continuation of the AK line. So AK-47s existed, they'd just have been antique pieces of junk by 2077, and probably ended up even worse off after two hundred years in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 07:34:41 pm »

I believe that the contemporary chinese assault rifles are canonically a continuation of the AK line. So AK-47s existed, they'd just have been antique pieces of junk by 2077, and probably ended up even worse off after two hundred years in a post apocalyptic wasteland.
AK's are fuxing tough, they are also VERY easy to make in a proper machine shop with the proper skill. I wouldn't doubt the Kalash survived in use a VERY long time. It's also one of the easiest guns to modify do to the relative simplicity of it's mechanism and housing. They are famous for being guns you could essentially leave burried in 6 feet of sand come back 1 month later, dig it out, replace the ammo, and then shoot someone with it. Add in that as we know from Chinese Terracotta Army that chromium plating can make metal last hundreds of years without corrosion. I wouldn't doubt there are some AK/47's out there in the wastes.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 07:52:06 pm »

Which are presumably virtues the later models in the lore exemplified even more. So, while an AK-47 could conceivably last that long, it's far more likely that it would be neglected in favor of a similar, but superior weapon. Hence the scarcity/practical nonexistence.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2010, 08:26:41 pm »

Which are presumably virtues the later models in the lore exemplified even more. So, while an AK-47 could conceivably last that long, it's far more likely that it would be neglected in favor of a similar, but superior weapon. Hence the scarcity/practical nonexistence.
Yeah, just saying that they would still be around, considering that there are at least 100,000 of them today, and many MANY more being produced each day.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2010, 08:31:48 pm »

I thought it was AK-74s that were being produced today? Also, divergent timelines and whatnot.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »

I thought it was AK-74s that were being produced today? Also, divergent timelines and whatnot.
AK/47s are still being made quite often, they are even used in actual armies and defense forces. It's one of the most enduring weapons in the world.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »

first of all:
Also, divergent timelines and whatnot.
that.

I still believe that AK-47 would be hard to find in 2077, and the fact that there is some production of AK-47s still going on (in poorer countries), is not as significant as it seems. The M1891 (and it's variants) was manufactured well into the 50s, but you would be hard-pressed to find serious people using them now.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:41 pm »

first of all:
Also, divergent timelines and whatnot.
that.

I still believe that AK-47 would be hard to find in 2077, and the fact that there is some production of AK-47s still going on (in poorer countries), is not as significant as it seems. The M1891 (and it's variants) was manufactured well into the 50s, but you would be hard-pressed to find serious people using them now.

Here are some countries using AK/47s, Bulgaria, GDR(defunct country but still listed), Iran, North Korea, Poland, India, Pakistan, Egypt and Greece. Most are/were fairly wealthy nations, they use them not because they are cheap, and they are, but because they are reliable pieces of weapon. And can last DECADES of combat.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:47 pm »

Here are some countries using AK/47s, Bulgaria, GDR(defunct country but still listed), Iran, North Korea, Poland, India, Pakistan, Egypt and Greece. Most are/were fairly wealthy nations, they use them not because they are cheap, and they are, but because they are reliable pieces of weapon.
Bulgaria, North Korea, Greece and Pakistan are quite poor. They are not poor like Ethiopia (who make their own AK-47s) or Tanzania, but people there don't earn 10% of what people in USA do. The rest on your list are no picnic either.
DDR is not real. hasn't been for 20 years now. I'm sure there are various militias and whatnot that use them in what used to be DDR, but Bundeswehr doesn't use it.
And can last DECADES of combat.
I'm sure you meant decades of training. AKs are not magical, They are subject to wear and tear (well... wear) just like any other rifle. They might last a bit longer without service, but in active combat you can expect to need spare parts before the year is out (and probably before than, if you're using an Ethiopian knock-off).

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »

You have to remember that in the Fallout universe everything, everything is built to withstand extreme conditions. Absolutely everything. Case in point: you can still eat apple pies 200 years after nuclear bombs ravaged the continent.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 10:03:47 pm »

Except most guns wear down to uselessness after firing a single clip...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:06:12 pm by Sir Pseudonymous »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 128