Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206641 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 12:06:02 pm »

I hope that:

-They get more time to finish than Bethesda did. So much stuff in FO3 that screamed "wanted to do better, had no time."
-Following that, I hope they do a better job of balancing...well, everything. Tons of crap in FO3 that there was either way too much of, or not nearly enough of.

Oh and I hope they opt not to go the "open wasteland route." I've had my fill of that design style for like, ever, thanks to all the Bethesda games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »

I understand everyone's points. I guess I'll wait and see. I'm still not really excited for it, but as they say, quality will speak for itself. :)

I've been hurt by the hype machine before, so perhaps I'm just feeling overly skeptical.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

GuestJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 03:15:40 pm »

I like Bethesda's system, to a point.
But going ten bajillion miles to get to a mission takes too much time.
The AI was a bit wacked out, if you get what I mean.

Raiders Wielding Bats, "Hey, lets go attack that guy who has a fatman!"

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »

I understand everyone's points. I guess I'll wait and see. I'm still not really excited for it, but as they say, quality will speak for itself. :)

I've been hurt by the hype machine before, so perhaps I'm just feeling overly skeptical.
In general, I keep myself in the dark nowadays when it comes to games, that way, every feature ever is a surprise, and nice. Game designers have a horrible habit of telling us what to expect, and what we are supposed to be surprised by.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 03:38:48 pm »

Working my way backwards.

In general, I keep myself in the dark nowadays when it comes to games, that way, every feature ever is a surprise, and nice. Game designers have a horrible habit of telling us what to expect, and what we are supposed to be surprised by.
See the line 4 things down.
I like Bethesda's system, to a point.
But going ten bajillion miles to get to a mission takes too much time.
The AI was a bit wacked out, if you get what I mean.

Raiders Wielding Bats, "Hey, lets go attack that guy who has a fatman!"

Yeah you wouldn't like daggerfall then.

AI is has always been sucky in bethesda games.

Mods can make that better to an extent.

Hype is and always will be shit, don't fall for any of it. Tentatively hold on to hope that something vaguely resembling the hype will come out, but never expect them to put out something that lives up to it.
I hope that:

-They get more time to finish than Bethesda did. So much stuff in FO3 that screamed "wanted to do better, had no time."
-Following that, I hope they do a better job of balancing...well, everything. Tons of crap in FO3 that there was either way too much of, or not nearly enough of.

Oh and I hope they opt not to go the "open wasteland route." I've had my fill of that design style for like, ever, thanks to all the Bethesda games.
Bethesda had about four and a half years to finish it, Obsidean has been developing it for about 1 and a half now. Bethesda had plenty of time to polish it.

Indeed I hope they do too, I would be more worried about fallout 2 syndrome. IE masses and masses of bugs on release.

They are taking the open wasteland route.
I'd love to get excited for New Vegas, but I feel like I'm missing something. Everyone else seems to know something I don't about this, and whatever I'm missing must be pretty huge. Please, could somebody enlighten me?

As far as I understand, NV will use the same engine as F3, same combat system, same interaction with NPCs and objects, etcetera. Features being touted as "new" include "lots of new weapons", a "new location" and "new monsters", all of which I see as being simply content additions that anyone can do (and have done, thousands of times) using the G.E.C.K construction kit and whatever 3D modelling program. I'm not excited for any of that. That's heavy DLC/mod territory.

Second point; I've also heard about the expanded Companion commands and weapon/ammo customisation. The latter admittedly does sound interesting, but the former just sounds like one of the many companion mods that have implemented extensive behavior modifications for companions in Fallout 3, probably far beyond the scope that will be in an unmodded game of NV.
The Expanded companion commands are definitively Better than any companion overhaul mod for fallout 3, at least in usability vs functionality. Just because the engine is the same doesn't mean it doesn't go through improvement. I'd say the biggest change here is going to be with the new reputation system and the way factions interact with each other and you. I'm sure we'll see more reasons when it releases

Finally, the point I hear raised most often: that Obsidian are developing it. Well, unless they can do things with the game that an average person cannot create using the G.E.C.K, I still don't see the significance. Is it the story? Will you be buying it for the interesting dialog and quests they'll come up with? I might understand that, but I'm not sure I'd agree about paying full game price for what seems to me like a glorified expansion pack.

I know it sounds like I'm berating the game or wanting to hate it, but I really don't. I just don't understand the excitement, and feel my suspicions will be proven right when I finally play it and realise it's just an updated Fallout 3 with new models and textures. Maybe this hype is being generated mainly by the console crowd, who haven't experienced the huge and incredibly talented modding community-- or perhaps that is the problem? Have I been spoiled by mods so that any new "features" they make official simply feel old and done to me already?

Please prove me wrong. If not just for the story, what should I be excited about?
Obsidian most definitively can do things that even the most talented modder cannot do with the G.E.C.K. It's not like that's all they are using to make it. I'm hoping for it to have a bit more engaging of a main storyline myself. I'm sure it's not just going to be Fallout 3 with new models and textures, (I already HAVE new textures!  :P). You've not been spoiled by mods, or at least, I hope you haven't been, and if you have, I wanna know what mods your using. I've got 100+ and I can hardly wait for New Vegas to be released.
Yes, but remember almost all the "new" features you can see, are taken almost certainly deliberately from popular mods. Just made better integrated because they have source code access.

Second verse same as the first. Except with a reference on how Fallout 3 as a base game isn't all that good.
Also if you need voice acting to play something you miss out on allot of things, and I would also question why you are even on these forums.

You aren't allowed to like any games that aren't DF and be on these forums. Especially in the other games section.

Not saying that, I'm saying that if you play a game like dwarf fortress which embraces minimalism in everything but depth. You have no reason to complain about lack of aesthetics.
As too fallout 3 or Oblivion mods I can once again think of a score for each that are good.
while there may be a handful out of thousands that are actually worth using
Yes, there are good mods, but none of them compare in scale or polish to professional work, and serve more as minor tweaks of said work.
Also if you need voice acting to play something you miss out on allot of things, and I would also question why you are even on these forums.
It comes across as amateurish and out of place, especially when generic lines of dialog are used with completely different text. This isn't really a problem for games where there's not audio for most lines, but when everything has it, it's quite jarring to get a blank stare with lines of (frequently poorly written/spelled) text.
Cube a mod the dev's themselves have said rivals the DLC for quality and length, OOO gets rid of the level scaling and adds a shit ton more features, is regarded by many fans and some dev's to be what Oblivion should or could have been, Integration, a quest mod adding around 50 hours of gameplay, it's not voiced, but is regarded by fans as a better, more lore correct main quest to oblivion, the underdark, regarded as a massive expansion pack by the dev's and fans alike. Also let's not forget the fact that there are around two thousand spelling errors in oblivion default, and the voice acting itself is jarring. Yes the majority of them are small tweaks, but there are at least twenty for each game that are not. As to games them selves, to apply sturgeons law to them, how many Atari games are good out of the thousands there are, about two score. How about NES and SNES games out of the thousands there are, about two and a half score. How about N64 games out of the thousand or so there are, about a score. How about PS and PS2 games out of the thousands there are, about three score. Sturgeons law applies to EVERYTHING. Ninety percent of everything is crap.

Which would you prefer silence, or a voice like a seventeen year old nasely voiced kid on a bad mic?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:00:07 pm by Dakorma »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2010, 03:41:44 pm »

Quote tags are your friend.

Unless you stream of conciousness'd that whole thing. Then legibility is your friend.

I found OOO extremely frustrating, though. It was forcing me to grind.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 03:56:06 pm »

Quote tags are your friend.

Unless you stream of conciousness'd that whole thing. Then legibility is your friend.

I found OOO extremely frustrating, though. It was forcing me to grind.
I actually I wrote it about three times but accidentally miss clicked with two of them and clicked a bookmark rather than a tab and lost it. by the time I wrote the third one I just wanted it done. As to OOO it does have some grinding but you can generally level up fast enough it's not a problem. It also presents goals to you very early on, the magic imp at the end of sideways cave being the most obvious one. Most of the starter guild quests are doable at level one bar one or two. It's also better to have a challenge to overcome than enemies that constantly level with you, bar beasts. I'll probably go back and edit my post with quote tags now, it's perfectly legible to me, but then again I wrote it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:00:56 pm by Dakorma »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »

It's true that the starter guild quests are doable at level one. However, the only one you can get to without dying horribly is the Thieve's Guild, and that's only really doable because it's just a straight run to the guy's house. Afterwards, you get a fence up in Nord Town. Walking there is a harrowing experience, wherein snow leopards chase you everywhere. Not to mention Frost Minotaurs.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 04:17:18 pm »

It's true that the starter guild quests are doable at level one. However, the only one you can get to without dying horribly is the Thieve's Guild, and that's only really doable because it's just a straight run to the guy's house. Afterwards, you get a fence up in Nord Town. Walking there is a harrowing experience, wherein snow leopards chase you everywhere. Not to mention Frost Minotaurs.

The best way to get to Nord Town as a newb is to head to Chorral, try to avoid the bandits that may or may not spawn on one of the hills. Then head to japhre to get your horse, a decent set of armor and a weapon. After that take the road east from Chorral to Nord Town, it's relatively safe, and with the horsey you can out run almost everything. After you get the horse everything is golden for travel. Near Anvil there is a cave inhabited by goblins, this can easily be done at around level 3. Inside this cave near a dead end is a daedric dagger in some cave in rubble. The first 3 dark brotherhood quests can also be done fairly early. The pirate is a hard fight, but doable. Cheydinhall is relatively easy to get to if you go the long way or if you have a horse. Roads are your friend, use them. Only time I recommend going off the path is to avoid the trigger zone of the highwayman at the fort on the way to Chorral.

That should be about all you need to get started in OOO.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2010, 04:23:08 pm »

I'm going to find my disc and test this out, but I warn you, I've attempted the run MANY times. One one trip to Chorral I was suddenly caught in a battle between some giants and some bandits, which, while very interesting and cool, made it impossible for me to progress.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »

I'm going to find my disc and test this out, but I warn you, I've attempted the run MANY times. One one trip to Chorral I was suddenly caught in a battle between some giants and some bandits, which, while very interesting and cool, made it impossible for me to progress.

You know, I think i'm going to try this too. I never played Oblivion with OOO, but i've been meaning to replay Oblivion, and this sounds like a way to spice things up.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2010, 09:44:29 pm »

Skip this if you want out of a Mod Rant:
Holy crap, where did the great mods go? Remember the mods for Morrowind? Massive floating castles with the ability to teleport over every major city, a mod that added fishing complete with pilot-able boat and submarine, Ridable Cliff racers and Gaurs, Vivic Expanded, oh and the Vampire Mod was amazing.

Oblivion is just nude mod after nude mod, with a handful of poorly done housing mods. Fallout is more of the same, with some 'Realism' mods that chew up the setting and flavor of the game and spit it out. Don't get me wrong, there are some gems in the muck, but nothing calls to me like the older mods.

I don't know, maybe I'm just nostalgic, and I'm taking it out on the few good mods for Oblivion and Fallout, but I still can't help but feel disappointed.

Rant over. Sorry, I had to get that off my chest.

On Topic
 I'm really looking forward to this game. I love Fallout 1 and 2 unconditionally, and I really did enjoy Fallout 3. I enjoy the products made by Obsidian, but I am a little worried. Neverwinter Nights 2 was a fun single player game although a little buggy, but the multiplayer was utterly broken, and that's what gave the original the serious longevity that still has hundreds of people playing it today.

KOTOR 2 was great, in a lot of ways the story was a hell of a lot deeper than the original, but they had to rush it, leaving a very unsatisfying ending.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2010, 10:33:50 pm »

I've found a lot of awesome mods for Fallout 3, maybe you just don't know how to look anymore Creaca? :P My mod load order is well over 50 files currently, and many of them fit the game well, especially the Wanderer's Edition.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 12:57:38 am »

The mods for Oblivion were amazing, I don't think you're looking hard enough if you can't find them.

Hint: They'll be on the top of the top ten lists.

MMM was my fave. <3

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 01:20:50 am »

The mods for Oblivion were amazing, I don't think you're looking hard enough if you can't find them.

Hint: They'll be on the top of the top ten lists.

MMM was my fave. <3

Yah, MMM is pretty essential (and has been continued into Fallout 3 as well)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 128