Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206376 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »

Considering guns in FO3 were basically pea shooters, and it was easier to play through the game without using either weapons or armor, perhaps they're onto something.

It doesn't make much sense for a local power to exclusively use melee weapons, but then, it also doesn't make much sense for leather armor to stop bullets, or for people to require multiple shots to their unarmored face before their head cleanly falls off...

I had a character in FO3 that didn't use guns at all, and went around punching enemies to death while completely ignoring their pitiful attempts to kill him with bullets and energy weapons. It worked spectacularly well since during character creation, I gave him 9 strength and endurance, and 10 intelligence, and to bump them to 10 I needed only a bobblehead. I used perception and luck as dump stats, dropping them to 1, which had spectacularly little notable effect on the game (at least in the PC version, when punching things to death). I also played through the vault beginning on an XBox 360 with the same build, where it also worked (but slightly less well since I found it harder to manually punch people - on the PC I was punching enemies in the head myself whenever I ran out of action points, or just whenever).

Of course, that gets boring after a while.

For my normal characters, the best way to kill feral ghouls was using a flaming sword, rather than guns, and super mutants were much more vulnerable to being punched in the head with Fisto! than to being shot (for some reason), so there's always been a place for melee/hand-to-hand.

I can't see an entire empire of melee users unless they've been min-maxing their stats, though. :P As if NPCs can do that.
If you've played with any sane balancing mod like FWE or FOOK, you wouldn't be like that. Ah well, I won't question it when I get the balance mods because I am sure they will fix it :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:55 pm »

I tried FOOK. It added [Infinity] pieces of crap and so forth, IIRC, and I was not happy with it. I don't even remember it rebalancing anything, the only thing I noticed was new stuff that I didn't want, and it being incompatible with many of the other mods I was using. If you're going to rebalance the weapons, or fix bugs, you should just do that, not add a bunch of new things at the same time.

Also FWE, the result of which was me spawning in the upper-left corner of the map, wandering the wasteland trying to get anywhere, unable to heal my injuries properly, until every body part had been broken, and were it possible, I would have broken every body part three times over. That was... completely NOT FUN. I eventually arrived in megaton, only to find that I could not buy the supplies I would need to fix any of my broken body parts. I think that's about when I uninstalled FWE and deleted those saved games.

I did use a bunch of other mods, however, including BLTC. Some of them made things easier, though: One toned down the Fake Difficulty computer hacking, another made it possible to repair weapons with the more common junk that you kept picking up (cans, scrap metal, and such). I also used WMK, Sensible Dismemberment, EVE, CRAFT, and some stuff to improve GNR, and expand the playlist (I actually LIKED (most of) the music, and wanted more of it so the radio station wasn't always looping the same dozen or so songs).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2010, 10:09:12 pm »

Most Bethesda games become playable for me after people mod it well enough.

This doesn't appear to be an exception, though it's only somewhat playable at the moment with the usual game breaking bugs on release day.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »

Oh god that damn radio station.  I wanted it on so I could hear about my exploits, which is always cool.  But three dog needed some damn new songs and needs to talk about the news in something resembling an intelligent fashion.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2010, 10:40:08 pm »

I tried FOOK. It added [Infinity] pieces of crap and so forth, IIRC, and I was not happy with it. I don't even remember it rebalancing anything, the only thing I noticed was new stuff that I didn't want, and it being incompatible with many of the other mods I was using. If you're going to rebalance the weapons, or fix bugs, you should just do that, not add a bunch of new things at the same time.

Also FWE, the result of which was me spawning in the upper-left corner of the map, wandering the wasteland trying to get anywhere, unable to heal my injuries properly, until every body part had been broken, and were it possible, I would have broken every body part three times over. That was... completely NOT FUN. I eventually arrived in megaton, only to find that I could not buy the supplies I would need to fix any of my broken body parts. I think that's about when I uninstalled FWE and deleted those saved games.

I did use a bunch of other mods, however, including BLTC. Some of them made things easier, though: One toned down the Fake Difficulty computer hacking, another made it possible to repair weapons with the more common junk that you kept picking up (cans, scrap metal, and such). I also used WMK, Sensible Dismemberment, EVE, CRAFT, and some stuff to improve GNR, and expand the playlist (I actually LIKED (most of) the music, and wanted more of it so the radio station wasn't always looping the same dozen or so songs).
Eh, seriously, nothing personal, but inability to install and use complex mods does not mean that they are bad :/.

There's FOIP which allows to use FWE with MMM and FOOK, and together they do wonders. That random "crap" allows you to repair your stuff without reassembling the SAME stuff (as you said, you used it, and it's a part of FWE) and I didn't notice [infinity], probably it was removed by FOIP, and FWE allows you to have different starts, including vanilla, so "upper corner of the map" is unlikely unless you wanted it...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:42:02 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »

Yes, it was one of the extra starts. I picked one of them thinking it sounded nice (Perhaps it was the android one, where I expected to spawn at the vault as usual, except to be an android created by James McDad, or perhaps it was something else), and that was where it put me, up in the upper-left corner not far from [Spoiler!].

It's a matter of simply not liking what I saw with FOOK. It's not a matter of not knowing how to install and use complex mods, or not knowing how to merge mods and correct conflicts. I used fo3edit to correct all the conflicts between the mods I was using and merge some things from one into another (I don't mean making a merged patch, which takes almost no effort). I did not, however, want to do that with FOOK.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2010, 01:03:18 am »

Dear god Chris Avellone is a liar. Basically they've said that there was no good or bad faction. I call bullshit. NCR may be expansionist but they all seem like decent people.

When I first encounter the Legion, it is a town they have burned to cinders and have the towns citizens either beheaded on pikes, enslaved, or up on crucifixes.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2010, 01:12:02 am »

Yes, it was one of the extra starts. I picked one of them thinking it sounded nice (Perhaps it was the android one, where I expected to spawn at the vault as usual, except to be an android created by James McDad, or perhaps it was something else), and that was where it put me, up in the upper-left corner not far from [Spoiler!].

It's a matter of simply not liking what I saw with FOOK. It's not a matter of not knowing how to install and use complex mods, or not knowing how to merge mods and correct conflicts. I used fo3edit to correct all the conflicts between the mods I was using and merge some things from one into another (I don't mean making a merged patch, which takes almost no effort). I did not, however, want to do that with FOOK.
As I said, you don't have to do it, since FOIP exists, and then you just make a merged patch :P. I didn't mean to insult you by saying so, I just had no problems with it. And I usually play with FWE+MMM combo without FOOK because it's more stable.
FWE is a must-have for me since it makes the game so much more believeable.

Dear god Chris Avellone is a liar. Basically they've said that there was no good or bad faction. I call bullshit. NCR may be expansionist but they all seem like decent people.

When I first encounter the Legion, it is a town they have burned to cinders and have the towns citizens either beheaded on pikes, enslaved, or up on crucifixes.
Yeah, that's really easy to call legion bad and new vegas/NCR good/neutral. They are both closer to neutral though.

Now a big spoiler so I spoil it, but it's a question to those who has found a "hidden valley" location (which is actually pretty easy to find from the start)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 20, 2010, 01:13:37 am »

Ah, but they DESERVE it, for being corrupt.
The leader of the legion is rather cool though, and a smart, nice guy.

I got this, crashed 3 times starting up, once during the tutorial, and haven't crashed since.
There really haven't been as many bugs as I'd expect either.
The actual bug enemies... Well, the advice not to go north is very good advice.

All in all though, its a great game so far.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 20, 2010, 01:15:19 am »

I've got one bug (questbreaking but  I solved it with a console, basically raiders attacking your first town were not activated so they stood without action and were invulnerable, while you had to kill them) and one crash (random travelling).

All in all though, its a great game so far.
Yeah, I can agree that if I ignore some minor stuff I dislike (like the legion design), this game has a lot of content and has an old Fallout feel, at least in details. It's clearly seen that there were devs from Obsidian, because they've put a lot of references all around the place.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:16:51 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

darkedone02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 20, 2010, 04:24:09 am »

I can't wait to get my hand's on this game. I wonder how well this game is like, and can't wait for some major mod's to come out...

also believe it or not:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 20, 2010, 04:30:43 am »

Of course they did, as Most Gamers are Male.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 20, 2010, 04:52:04 am »

And this mod is 2nd in Mod of the Month nomination already :/.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:07 am »

And this mod is 2nd in Mod of the Month nomination already :/.
Tied for first now. It's a port of a mod for Fallout 3 so it's currently the most extensive, complete and technically sound mod. Objectively it's the best mod so far.

Also, Yay! Boobies!

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 20, 2010, 07:41:39 am »

Fallout 3 may not been the greatest RPG of all times, but just exploring the wastelands was great.
I hope it'll be part of the Steam sale too.

Not sure about New Vegas.
Are the changes good enough to sell it as a fully-fleged new game?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 128