Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206691 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1770 on: July 10, 2015, 02:02:54 pm »

In short, destroy the do-what-you-want element of the sandbox game and put the whole thing on artificial rails?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: July 10, 2015, 02:11:45 pm »

In short, destroy the do-what-you-want element of the sandbox game and put the whole thing on artificial rails?
Nothing artificial about something being too strong for you at the time and then being easy once you're much stronger than it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: July 10, 2015, 02:11:51 pm »

So. Firing Archinedes I was fun. Too bad now I can't kill NCR troopers to keep my karma neutral or Boone will leave...
Black lives matter.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: July 10, 2015, 03:00:19 pm »

Nothing artificial about something being too strong for you at the time and then being easy once you're much stronger than it.

Except that defeats the entire purpose of the open-world RPG. Instead of doing things however you like, there's now one path that's balanced, with everything else being frustrating or boring. If I wanted that, I'd play a JRPG or... you know, a genre that wasn't known for being the exact opposite of what I wanted.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: July 10, 2015, 03:03:47 pm »

That logic actually makes morrowind not an open world RPG. Or darklands, wasteland, or even the two older fallouts.

I think the Bethesda scaling has influenced your brain.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: July 10, 2015, 03:08:00 pm »

^ She's right.

The point of an open world game is that you can go anywhere, not necessarily that you can actually do everything from level one. I mean, hell, does the fact that you can't take on Deathclaws straight out of Goodsprings with a vault suit 9mm pistol mean that the game isn't open-world? This is just taking that a bit further, completely eliminating scaling which is how it should be.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: July 10, 2015, 03:33:48 pm »

I remember running straight to Solstheim at level 5 and I learned first hand how low level I was doing the Island quests and seeing a werewolf the first time. Much running away and save scumming. Next one was level 10 and going one on one with Almalexia, not even a second of pulling out my spear......

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:15 pm »

I went to Solstheim at about... 17? I think? After many dungeons of one/two shotting Draugr and Restless or higher Draugr, respectively, I was completely unused to the Ash Spawn not going down instantly. Don't even get me started on Burnt Spriggan...
Black lives matter.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: July 10, 2015, 03:37:32 pm »

Is Wasteland Defence considered the best town building mod?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: July 10, 2015, 03:50:37 pm »

Is Wasteland Defence considered the best town building mod?
Considering that its the only one available for Vegas, meh.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 10, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »

been playing for awhile. i remembered why i love this game so much.  spent all my money on super expensive guns and ammo from the gun runner robot. unfortunately i don't have any left for armor not that they sell that and i have a ludicrously hiked damage mod that i should probably switch to the more realistic one. anyway brand new anti material rifle meet deathclaws! ima gonna clear the quarry! 8)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 10, 2015, 05:57:56 pm »

So. Firing Archinedes I was fun. Too bad now I can't kill NCR troopers to keep my karma neutral or Boone will leave...
It's nearly impossible to keep neutral karma (or even negative!) if you don't know what to avoid. Random ghouls in the wasteland will often give insane amounts of karma. There is a tunnel near the boomer base where you could possibly go from very low to very high karma, just from what those ghouls give.

I am pretty sure it's a bug. Good thing karma has zero effect on anything in NV. If I remember right, in 3 karma only mattered for the hitmen that were sent after you and the perk to collect "bounties".

EDIT: Just remembered that in 3 some companions were karma-bound. Still kind of an useless mechanic.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 10, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »

I am pretty sure it's a bug. Good thing karma has zero effect on anything in NV.

It actually affects the ending slides for some of the routes (At least for independant vegas I know it matters). Which means unfortunately due to the way the game is set up, if you wanna be a completionist at all you're pretty much locked into the good karma slides.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 10, 2015, 06:08:17 pm »

Keeping neutral karma is easy! I just have to open the console and slap a "show player.Av karma" in there and murder people/steal/eat corpses until it's <250.
Black lives matter.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 11, 2015, 01:20:27 am »

...but the whole affair feels too much like a standard FPS, focusing way too much on combat and combat-related gimmicks (Hey, blow up these here nukes to blow up enemies and progress!).

Plus the explosions from the so-called "nukes" were ridiculously small, even if we assume that the explosions are to the same distorted scale as the roads.

Y'know, now that I think about it, all the DLC had one thing in common, they all had stupidly overpowered enemies, the roboscorpions, the ghost people, the tunnelers, and a buncha tribals capable of taking out a person in full T-45d power armor.

At least the first three were kind of plausible in-world. The super resilient tribals don't make sense any way you look at it; there was a similar problem with the Point Lookout DLC for Fallout 3. And you left out the most overpowered enemy of all, the security holograms from Dead Money, which couldn't be attacked at all.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 128