Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206642 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1755 on: July 07, 2015, 02:56:52 am »

I actually forgot that I could leave Lonesome Road because it felt particularly silly to backtrack from there.

How so? In addition to not having a contrived excuse for not being able to come and go freely, it's also explicitly a closer location.

---------------

ALSO, what's the deal with not being able to bring companions with us to the DLC locations? We didn't even get a proper contrived excuse for that rule.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 07, 2015, 03:11:38 am »

Because it specifically is set up as a long journey.  A Lonesome Road.  Bilbo didn't travel pop back to the Shire after reaching Rivendell or Murkwood.  Just seemed thematically inappropriate to do so in that DLC, which is ironic since it was allowed for once.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 07, 2015, 03:13:58 am »

Because it specifically is set up as a long journey.  A Lonesome Road.  Bilbo didn't travel pop back to the Shire after reaching Rivendell or Murkwood.  Just seemed thematically inappropriate to do so in that DLC, which is ironic since it was allowed for once.

There isn't any sense of urgency to it until the last act though.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 07, 2015, 03:16:10 am »

It's funny, that's true of the Hobbit as well.  Smaug and the treasure weren't going anywhere.
Don't mind me though, just chatting when I should be asleep.  Gonna go try that now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 07, 2015, 03:28:07 am »

It's funny, that's true of the Hobbit as well.  Smaug and the treasure weren't going anywhere.
Don't mind me though, just chatting when I should be asleep.  Gonna go try that now.

Not so. They had to reach the mountain by Durin's Day or else they'd either have to wait another whole year to find the secret entrence or attempt to enter through the front and risk alerting the dragon to their presence
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 07, 2015, 04:18:26 am »

Well, finally finished modding the game after about three days. Finally modlist has 241 folders in Mod Organizer (including merged ESPs and base game stuff like the DLC files.)

Tried it up and... It didn't work. That's because I missed something in the guide, thankfully it was an easy fix. There were error registries in a particular ESP that I needed to delete. I managed to narrow it down to one file and now it will hopefully work.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 07, 2015, 06:35:49 am »

I actually forgot that I could leave Lonesome Road because it felt particularly silly to backtrack from there.

How so? In addition to not having a contrived excuse for not being able to come and go freely, it's also explicitly a closer location.

---------------

ALSO, what's the deal with not being able to bring companions with us to the DLC locations? We didn't even get a proper contrived excuse for that rule.
Yeah, that "no companions" really bothered me as well. There's no reason why the Courier couldn't take one of his companions to the Divide, Sierra Madre or New Canan. The only one I sorta understand is the big MT with the whole "This satellite teleports you and only you there". But that concession leaves the gates open for similar contrived explanations for the other DLCs (hey, maybe that caravan company didn't want to contract more than one person, maybe Ulysses wanted the Courier to come alone and not bring the cops or this Republic gets it, and maybe Veronica just stood there and watched me get paralyzed by the radio and then nicked all my caps to go have a wild night out in Vegas and had a Hangover-tier adventure in trying to get the money back before I came back)

The reason why it felt silly to leave the Divide before the end is mostly due to the way the DLC is structured, you can see the developers intended the player to play through it in one go, what with the way the plot is fed to you.

I actually found Lonesome Road to be the most dissapointing DLC of them all. Sure, the plot is nice and worldbuildy, but the whole affair feels too much like a standard FPS, focusing way too much on combat and combat-related gimmicks (Hey, blow up these here nukes to blow up enemies and progress!). Also the tunnelers were far too overpowered for my tastes.

Dead Money could said to have similar faults, but I felt the whole thing had a much more Bioshock-y feel to it and I really liked the atmosphere. It was, for me at least, unplayable with "hardcore" mode turned on because my goddamn companions kept dying and then I'd die as well and god damn it that whole affair was annoying. Also the Ghost People were interesting fluff-wise but were kinda boring as enemies after the first three.

Y'know, now that I think about it, all the DLC had one thing in common, they all had stupidly overpowered enemies, the roboscorpions, the ghost people, the tunnelers, and a buncha tribals capable of taking out a person in full T-45d power armor.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 07, 2015, 06:58:44 am »

I never found the ghost people to be overly dangerous. Sure, they were threatening, but not exactly noticeably so. The focus was meant to be on you sneaking around them, anyway; the ghost people have 0 perception for a reason. Anyway, you got gassed and carried away by Dog, so presumably he only carried one person to the Seirra Madre.

New Canan doesn't have an excuse, no.

Perosnally I'm inclined to just roll with it. Having the possibility of an additional companion would force quite drastic alterations to Dead Money, and Lonesome road is, well... lonesome.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: July 07, 2015, 08:12:38 am »

Only DLC I didn't like was Honest Hearts. Felt lazy and uninspired.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: July 07, 2015, 09:21:37 am »

the ghost people have 0 perception for a reason

0 perception actually means that it's impossible to not be seen by them, so the only way to sneak is out of Line of Sight, even with 100 stealth.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: July 10, 2015, 12:08:19 pm »

Are there any mods that improve the UI?  I want it to have more items shown (so less text I guess?) and if possible, a button to "give all" items to a container.  It'd be nice if the A button for take all was re-mappable as well.  I see that MTUI mod is the most popular, but apparently it breaks the game when I have Project Nevada and MCM.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: July 10, 2015, 12:38:21 pm »

Are there any mods that improve the UI?  I want it to have more items shown (so less text I guess?) and if possible, a button to "give all" items to a container.  It'd be nice if the A button for take all was re-mappable as well.  I see that MTUI mod is the most popular, but apparently it breaks the game when I have Project Nevada and MCM.
Try dardified UI

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: July 10, 2015, 01:23:00 pm »

Only DLC I didn't like was Honest Hearts. Felt lazy and uninspired.
Lazier and more uninspired than Dead Money, (which was made entirely out of cheap gimmicks to artificially increase the difficulty)?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: July 10, 2015, 01:55:47 pm »

Nominally speaking, how would you have personally made the DLC in such a way that it wouldn't have been, in your eyes, full of cheap gimmicks and artificial difficulty?
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: July 10, 2015, 01:59:13 pm »

First you pick a level range that you feel the story best fits, then create an experience based exclusively upon that chosen level range.  The trap that the DLCs for Fallout NV (and FO3) fell into was that they tried to make them equally challenging to beginning and end-game characters, but that is invariably a bad choice, as it requires 'gamifying' their design.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 128