Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206515 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2010, 07:58:40 pm »

Yeah, FO2 was ludicrously over the top Fallout gore, same as always. It's not like you can't pick up half a person's brain and wave it about in FO3.

I'm just saying that if i shot them in the arm and their arm kinda went back every time you shot them it'd be easy because they couldn't aim at you. If more realistic death shots are what you're after then i'm going to chase you with a pitchfork because I LOVE THEM XD

Yeah, I do agree with you. What I'm looking for is death ragdolls that look relatively realistic and also cool. Like I said, minimalist is not the same as bad and someone being spun around following a death blow to the shoulder (but not being sent flying) would be awesome.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2010, 08:33:56 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:15:39 am by SIGVARDR »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2010, 08:39:46 pm »

The answer to your question is that Fallout 3 did a poor job in creating an interesting, believable setting (Bethesda has never been good at it, despite what they claim), and so it's just a bunch of static people hanging out in static villages with no backstory beyond "we stole this boat, dawg". If you play Fallout 1 and 2, the towns typically have some sort of history to them, and even industry (though, this has no actual effect on gameplay mechanics. You sometimes get quests in this general direction). One particular nation of note is Shady Sands, which evolves from a tiny village in Fallout 1 to a large country called 'New California Republic' in Fallout 2.

The Enclave are also genocidal maniacs. Their anti-mutant virus kills anybody whose genes have been growing in the Wasteland (or something like that). That means that only purebred Enclave members and Vault Dwellers in sealed vaults will actually survive. Every bad guy in Fallout seems to want to build the master race.

Don't worry, you missed very little of Fallout's setting details in Fallout 3.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2010, 08:44:47 pm »

I thought fallout 3's story wasn't so bad, but then again Im not very picky. I know I was no huge fan of FO2. As far as balance goes... It wasn't very good.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »

Spoiler: wall of text question (click to show/hide)

See the Enclave aren't even supposed to be around by Fallout 3 you were supposed to have wiped them out in FO2.

As to making society and having production capabilities, you had NCR in fallout 2 who were doing just that, you also had the tribal's who were making their own culture. About the only people who were mooching off the past were the BoS who were out to grab all the old tech to keep it out of the wrong hands. And even they had a society of their own.

Course Beth basically said "Fuck that noise!" and made BoS generic space knights, got rid of the tribal's, left the enclave still around despite the fact that you wiped out what was supposed to be the only area they inhabited and killed their high command, and made the world not be nearly completely leveled so you would have to make your own stuff rather than mooching off the past. For example, in FO 1 and 2 you had mines and not in the explosives sense. In fallout 3 you have scavengers.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2010, 08:50:23 pm »

Would have been a decent story if it hadn't been Fallout.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2010, 08:52:48 pm »

edited.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:15:17 am by SIGVARDR »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2010, 08:57:22 pm »

Everybody in the Enclave is descended from people who were in the Enclave at nukefall.

It's presumed they have a bunch of civilians off somewhere. On an oil rig that was destroyed, along with the living President of the United States in Fallout 2.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2010, 09:26:46 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:14:35 am by SIGVARDR »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2010, 09:30:32 pm »

There's a mod that lets you choose new starting points. You can be everything from a random scavenger to an escaped Enclave soldier. I forget the name of it. FalloutNexus or the other people here might be able to enlighten.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2010, 09:38:45 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:13:59 am by SIGVARDR »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2010, 10:26:08 pm »

There's a mod that lets you choose new starting points. You can be everything from a random scavenger to an escaped Enclave soldier. I forget the name of it. FalloutNexus or the other people here might be able to enlighten.

That would be the Alternate Start, which is included in the massive Wanderer's Edition.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2010, 10:28:04 pm »

(ever since you adopted the Dos equis guy as your avatar,i envision all your serious posts in his voice.Whatever happened to those commercials,they were the best.)

They're still on! I only found out recently that it's been on for two years or so. First time I saw it was in April of this year. Best commercials ever.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2010, 11:52:27 pm »

God, I really, really enjoyed Fallout 3, but man do I wish the setting was even remotely like the east coast Fallout of the previous games. No mines? No tentative, ramshackle infrastructure? Nobody forming any sort of successful or even remotely widespread government ala the NCR in 200 years? The dev team was large enough to found a small country and yet nobody was working on that?

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2010, 12:03:10 am »

Yeah, I wish that there was stuff like the NCR in Fallout 3. But that's what mods are for!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 128