Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206692 times)

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 10:56:04 pm »

Like the other people said, it's not the tech, it's the style.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 10:57:35 pm »

Like the other people said, it's not the tech, it's the style.

Exact-a-mundo.

The Protectron's for example, are all based on Robbie the Robot, a Distinctly 50's robot style.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 12:07:47 am »

Fallout takes place in the 50s future.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 02:06:05 am »

Yes, but did they dream of power armor suits like the BoS in the 50s futurism? Not really. I say it simply isn't a big deal either way of course.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 02:11:25 am »

I so can't wait for this to come out.

I'm loving the ADS and the weapon mods that will come with it. It's like this awesome mod that I got for Fallout 3, where you can mod weapons with scopes and extended magazines and stuff like that.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 02:18:53 am »

I'd love to get excited for New Vegas, but I feel like I'm missing something. Everyone else seems to know something I don't about this, and whatever I'm missing must be pretty huge. Please, could somebody enlighten me?

As far as I understand, NV will use the same engine as F3, same combat system, same interaction with NPCs and objects, etcetera. Features being touted as "new" include "lots of new weapons", a "new location" and "new monsters", all of which I see as being simply content additions that anyone can do (and have done, thousands of times) using the G.E.C.K construction kit and whatever 3D modelling program. I'm not excited for any of that. That's heavy DLC/mod territory.

Second point; I've also heard about the expanded Companion commands and weapon/ammo customisation. The latter admittedly does sound interesting, but the former just sounds like one of the many companion mods that have implemented extensive behavior modifications for companions in Fallout 3, probably far beyond the scope that will be in an unmodded game of NV.

Finally, the point I hear raised most often: that Obsidian are developing it. Well, unless they can do things with the game that an average person cannot create using the G.E.C.K, I still don't see the significance. Is it the story? Will you be buying it for the interesting dialog and quests they'll come up with? I might understand that, but I'm not sure I'd agree about paying full game price for what seems to me like a glorified expansion pack.

I know it sounds like I'm berating the game or wanting to hate it, but I really don't. I just don't understand the excitement, and feel my suspicions will be proven right when I finally play it and realise it's just an updated Fallout 3 with new models and textures. Maybe this hype is being generated mainly by the console crowd, who haven't experienced the huge and incredibly talented modding community-- or perhaps that is the problem? Have I been spoiled by mods so that any new "features" they make official simply feel old and done to me already?

Please prove me wrong. If not just for the story, what should I be excited about?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 02:23:34 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 02:39:01 am »

Yes, but did they dream of power armor suits like the BoS in the 50s futurism? Not really. I say it simply isn't a big deal either way of course.
Didn't they? It's been a staple of sci-fi since the 1930s (honestly, I'm kind of surprised the concept didn't appear earlier than that...).

I'd love to get excited for New Vegas, but I feel like I'm missing something. Everyone else seems to know something I don't about this, and whatever I'm missing must be pretty huge. Please, could somebody enlighten me?

As far as I understand, NV will use the same engine as F3, same combat system, same interaction with NPCs and objects, etcetera. Features being touted as "new" include "lots of new weapons", a "new location" and "new monsters", all of which I see as being simply content additions that anyone can do (and have done, thousands of times) using the G.E.C.K construction kit and whatever 3D modelling program. I'm not excited for any of that. That's heavy DLC/mod territory.

Second point; I've also heard about the expanded Companion commands and weapon/ammo customisation. The latter admittedly does sound interesting, but the former just sounds like one of the many companion mods that have implemented extensive behavior modifications for companions in Fallout 3, probably far beyond the scope that will be in an unmodded game of NV.

Finally, the point I hear raised most often: that Obsidian are developing it. Well, unless they can do things with the game that an average person cannot create using the G.E.C.K, I still don't see the significance. Is it the story? Will you be buying it for the interesting dialog and quests they'll come up with? I might understand that, but I'm not sure I'd agree about paying full game price for what seems to me like a glorified expansion pack.

I know it sounds like I'm berating the game or wanting to hate it, but I really don't. I just don't understand the excitement, and feel my suspicions will be proven right when I finally play it and realise it's just an updated Fallout 3 with new models and textures. Maybe this hype is being generated mainly by the console crowd, who haven't experienced the huge and incredibly talented modding community-- or perhaps that is the problem? Have I been spoiled by mods so that any new "features" they make official simply feel old and done to me already?

Please prove me wrong. If not just for the story, what should I be excited about?
It's being made by a professional dev studio, instead of some kid in a basement? My experience with Fallout 3 mods (or really, any moddable game (like NWN)) is that the general quality is horrible, and while there may be a handful out of thousands that are actually worth using, some things, like voice acting, are beyond the means of all but the largest projects, and I've never seen one of those come to fruition...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 03:07:36 am »

Mostly the reasons I'm excited is that it's being made by the people who made the first two games for the most part. While the engine is the same, much of the content is stuff that would have been in the cancelled 'Van Buren' project - including the towns and lore of post-apocalyptic Nevada (although Van Buren would have covered several other states as well). I am expecting more non-combat options than Fallout 3 had.

While it's true that many of the new touted features that people mention can be modded in, it isn't exactly polished work - I have consistent crashes, collision problems, and more. Not to mention that modded companions really tend to fuck up DLC areas.

Most of all I'm just looking forward to stumbling into new things and new areas in uncharted territory (i've been over the capital so many times now). And all the new mods that will surely come with it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 03:07:58 am »

I am looking forward to this game.

And yet the M-16 bugs the hell out of me. Which is odd because the H&K exists in that universe. I think it's because the M-16 looks too silly to be a 'gritty, post-apocalyptic Fallout gun' and not silly enough to be a 'laser/teddy bear launcher/plasma funny looking Fallout gun'.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 03:19:45 am »

Aren't M-16s too fragile to get by in harsh conditions without almost constant maintenance, anyways? Or ideal conditions, for that matter?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 03:21:37 am »

That's a good point. It's really hard to repair them and they wouldn't have lasted the 200 years anyway.

EDIT: that said, everything in Fallout is built to last, absolutely everything.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 04:06:09 am by Jackrabbit »

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 03:58:11 am »

Didn't they? It's been a staple of sci-fi since the 1930s (honestly, I'm kind of surprised the concept didn't appear earlier than that...).

It's being made by a professional dev studio, instead of some kid in a basement? My experience with Fallout 3 mods (or really, any moddable game (like NWN)) is that the general quality is horrible, and while there may be a handful out of thousands that are actually worth using, some things, like voice acting, are beyond the means of all but the largest projects, and I've never seen one of those come to fruition...
Hmm as to neverwinter nights I can name off hand at least 13 mods that are better than the original campaign, at least for NWN 1, which in my opinion is the only one that is any good on a base level. Almraiven, shadewood, soul shaker, the bastard of kosigan series(four currently in english if you understand french get the french versions), tortured hearts one and two, the hex coda, a tangled web one and two, honor among thieves, Elegia eternum, Maugeter, Runes of Blood, a twisted web one and two. And I've already gone over thirteen in the thirty second's I've been thinking. I can also think of in the thousands of video games of about two score that deserve to truly be played. It's called sturgeons law, 90% of everything is crap.

As too fallout 3 or Oblivion mods I can once again think of a score for each that are good. Also if you need voice acting to play something you miss out on allot of things, and I would also question why you are even on these forums.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 04:44:16 am »

As too fallout 3 or Oblivion mods I can once again think of a score for each that are good.
while there may be a handful out of thousands that are actually worth using
Yes, there are good mods, but none of them compare in scale or polish to professional work, and serve more as minor tweaks of said work.
Also if you need voice acting to play something you miss out on allot of things, and I would also question why you are even on these forums.
It comes across as amateurish and out of place, especially when generic lines of dialog are used with completely different text. This isn't really a problem for games where there's not audio for most lines, but when everything has it, it's quite jarring to get a blank stare with lines of (frequently poorly written/spelled) text.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 08:58:38 am »

Also if you need voice acting to play something you miss out on allot of things, and I would also question why you are even on these forums.

You aren't allowed to like any games that aren't DF and be on these forums. Especially in the other games section.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 09:49:57 am »

The Expanded companion commands are definitively Better than any companion overhaul mod for fallout 3, at least in usability vs functionality. Just because the engine is the same doesn't mean it doesn't go through improvement. I'd say the biggest change here is going to be with the new reputation system and the way factions interact with each other and you. I'm sure we'll see more reasons when it releases

Obsidian most definitively can do things that even the most talented modder cannot do with the G.E.C.K. It's not like that's all they are using to make it. I'm hoping for it to have a bit more engaging of a main storyline myself. I'm sure it's not just going to be Fallout 3 with new models and textures, (I already HAVE new textures!  :P). You've not been spoiled by mods, or at least, I hope you haven't been, and if you have, I wanna know what mods your using. I've got 100+ and I can hardly wait for New Vegas to be released.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 128