Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212037 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1485 on: March 15, 2015, 12:54:17 am »

If you're going to do an unarmed playthrough, seriously consider getting (one of) the mod(s) that turns VATS into toggled bullet-time. It makes any type of character more fun, but especially so for unarmed by eliminating the teleport-strike.

I tried finding the mod online, but it seems there are only versions for FO3  (My googlefu is horrible though, so I might've just missed it). Could you perhaps give the name or the link to the mod for FO: NV?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 15, 2015, 03:27:04 am »

As a rifle user who one-hit-kills everything by headshots, I kind of need VATS. Especially when Boone is making me feel insecure by killing 6 enemies in one second.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 15, 2015, 04:25:13 am »

Has anybody here ever actually completed Legend of the Star without cheating?
It doesn't take that long to get the number of caps required, particularly if you recall the spots where there are multiple caps, and use the bottles of sasparilla for drinks.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 15, 2015, 07:08:00 am »

If you're going to do an unarmed playthrough, seriously consider getting (one of) the mod(s) that turns VATS into toggled bullet-time. It makes any type of character more fun, but especially so for unarmed by eliminating the teleport-strike.

I tried finding the mod online, but it seems there are only versions for FO3  (My googlefu is horrible though, so I might've just missed it). Could you perhaps give the name or the link to the mod for FO: NV?
Project Nevada involves it with a host of other changes.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 15, 2015, 07:09:43 am »

Though it still has the regular VATS, just lets you use bullet time as well if you want. I pretty much never do that because VATS is just so much fucking better.

Also, I am happy that adding Warzones didn't break my game, apparently NV just REALLY doesn't like it if you try setting timescale to "1"
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 15, 2015, 12:06:32 pm »

The bullet time doenst seem to actualy do anything gameplay wise, since it slows you down as well. Its more like a cool effect thing then an actual gameplay affecting feature.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 15, 2015, 12:25:20 pm »

Though it still has the regular VATS, just lets you use bullet time as well if you want. I pretty much never do that because VATS is just so much fucking better.

Also, I am happy that adding Warzones didn't break my game, apparently NV just REALLY doesn't like it if you try setting timescale to "1"

Bullettime is way better in that your personal skill is all that matters. You can headshot several people at long distance quickly where VATS would give you minimal chance unless your weapon skill was high.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 15, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »

Bullettime is way better in that your personal skill is all that matters. You can headshot several people at long distance quickly where VATS would give you minimal chance unless your weapon skill was high.

This, so much. It removes the worst parts of VATS (melee teleporting, no-skill marksmanship, missing shots that you wouldn't if you were shooting normally) and gives you the action-movie feeling all in the same package.

And yes, I use Project Nevada, which is where it comes from. That's probably the best option overall even if there is a standalone, both because you can toggle it on and off at-will if you don't like it, and because the rest of PN is also great.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 15, 2015, 06:42:03 pm »

Eh, that IS a bit of a problem, but it doesn't make sniping that much easier. I mean, if you're not good enough to get those headshots without BT you probably aren't gonna get them with it either.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: March 15, 2015, 08:15:57 pm »

Eh, that IS a bit of a problem, but it doesn't make sniping that much easier. I mean, if you're not good enough to get those headshots without BT you probably aren't gonna get them with it either.
That's sort of the point, though, isn't it? It gives you a more interesting and interactive alternative to VATS which hinges on player ability while also looking cool.

3. Run Resize Enable

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: March 15, 2015, 09:33:13 pm »

Yeaaaaaah it's like everyone but me are FPS crackshots.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: March 15, 2015, 09:43:54 pm »

To be fair, FO:NV and FO3 are shitty, terrible shooters. Accuracy that depends on your weapon skill level, terrible sights (or none at all-lookin' at you, laser rifle!), sluggish controls, incredible short draw distances on actors and objects even when you turn them up high enough to kill your FPS, no bullet drop...

There's a reason why pretty much every character I make ends up just toting around that high-end hunting shotgun and a few hundred shells.

3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: March 15, 2015, 09:51:09 pm »

In Fallout 3, vengeance is the answer to all problems great or small.  In NV, the plasma caster and .50 cal are the answer.  I need no other weapons ever in either game, though that hardly prevents me from collecting the rest of the uniques anyway.  The game is not even vaguely designed to use its primary combat mechanic (embarrassing because the Havok engine is very good for ballistic calculations), so VATS is the best alternative hands-down to trying to split-second aim.  That said, at greater ranges (and with adequate weapons skill) you can be an incredibly effective sniper using the default sights on the majority of weapons.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: March 16, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »

terrible sights (or none at all-lookin' at you, laser rifle!),

The laser rifle has a 200 bottlecap or something scope that makes it one of the best weapons in the game (of course the tri-beam version included as a mid-game upgrade.) It has insane range with high magnification, instant impact, perfect accuracy.. The only other things I bother with in energy weapons are OWB weapons or the gauss rifle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: March 16, 2015, 05:08:48 pm »

I know. But the default laser rifle/pistol "ironsights" are nonexistent and they depend on you finding a vendor with a scope.

Of course I always just beeline for the unique gauss rifle and never use anything else save the hunting shotgun once I get it.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 128