Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212090 times)

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1395 on: March 05, 2015, 11:00:21 am »

Ok, I need to ask this to anyone who's a bit experienced with GECK modding.

Would it be possible to create a suit of armor that changes characteristics dynamically? Like, the base armor having no bonuses to any stat, but using scripts and variables (tied to some sort of "armor mods" system) can have the same DR, radiation resistance as Power Armour, or Merchant clothes, for example?

EDIT: if everything in armor is a "status effect", probably instead of just putting it in the armor itself, it could be added to the player as an "enchantment" whenever he puts on the armor, in a script? I think DR is one of the standard stats but hopefully... it an be added as an effect as well :P

One potential way to do it would be via a set of 'fake' perks and use scripting to grant and remove them as necessary. The stealth suit from old world blues would probably be worth looking at for how it handles being upgraded.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: March 05, 2015, 11:14:48 am »

Ok, I need to ask this to anyone who's a bit experienced with GECK modding.

Would it be possible to create a suit of armor that changes characteristics dynamically? Like, the base armor having no bonuses to any stat, but using scripts and variables (tied to some sort of "armor mods" system) can have the same DR, radiation resistance as Power Armour, or Merchant clothes, for example?

EDIT: if everything in armor is a "status effect", probably instead of just putting it in the armor itself, it could be added to the player as an "enchantment" whenever he puts on the armor, in a script? I think DR is one of the standard stats but hopefully... it an be added as an effect as well :P

One potential way to do it would be via a set of 'fake' perks and use scripting to grant and remove them as necessary. The stealth suit from old world blues would probably be worth looking at for how it handles being upgraded.

I was thinking of that one, definitely going to open and check it with GECK. Hopefully it isn't just multiple copies of the suit with different stats. There's also a mod I got about armor that upgrades with XP or something that I'm going to check.

My basic idea is to have several suits of "social armor" that can take the properties of other armors that people commonly use (including all disadvantages, weight, etc), such as Power Armor. Probably requiring the disassembly of one such suit beforehand to unlock it. The armor candidates will have to be hand coded, of course. Having a system that analyzes dynamically any armor would probably be too much work if even possible.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1397 on: March 05, 2015, 11:39:51 am »

So you are essentially wanting to dynamically override the model data for existing armours with a different model, while keeping the stats? That, I'm not certain if it is possible without building a separate item for each one.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: March 05, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »

I'm going to use the existing models to make new armor items ("Remnant Armor EX" or whatever), that have a scripted behaviour to change their stats. I'm adding these armor items manually to an ESP. That's the idea, at least.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: March 05, 2015, 12:56:24 pm »

Has anyone else encountered a glitch where the bedroll kit from Lonesome Road stops working?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:46 am »

Aha! I found out how effects work.

First, armor can simply be given an Object Effect. This effect can have many enhancements (like Speech +2 or whatever). The thing is, each effect can have a condition, like whether a certain quest objective is completed. Enhacements also include Damage Threshold, so I suppose an armor with DT 0 can be created and changed via effects, but I'm not sure if the description of the item will reflect that, more likely the player gets the DT, probably invisible (or "enchantment" show in the pipboy), and the armor shows 0 anyway. But I would need more testing.

I haven't found a condition based on a variable, but I've seen "fake" quests being used as flags for them, so I could just turn objectives on and off in a hidden quest somehow.

With luck there will be very little scripting required, merely to set the conditions on or off.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 12:55:51 am by Sergius »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: March 06, 2015, 05:08:15 pm »

Are there any mods that replace/remove the GODDAMN HACKING "MINIGAME"?

I'm at the point in my frustration with it that I just use the console on any computer within my science abilities, which is slow and makes me feel very slightly bad. VERY VERY SLIGHTLY.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: March 06, 2015, 05:22:14 pm »

I think so? Search the nv mod nexus.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: March 06, 2015, 06:41:27 pm »

You can hit the power button before your last guess locks the console down and reset the puzzle. Between those and the built-in cheats I didn't have THAT much trouble on anything lower than 100 skill terminals.

However, I know there is a mod somewhere that just gives you the answer if you have high enough skill. Odds are good it was one of the options in FOOKNV if you want to start looking there.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: March 06, 2015, 07:55:04 pm »

Sounds like it's more of an issue with the stupid time-wasting interface. Because seriously, that thing takes longer to start up than my real computer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 06, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix the volume on Radio New Vegas?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: March 06, 2015, 10:12:47 pm »

Sounds like it's more of an issue with the stupid time-wasting interface. Because seriously, that thing takes longer to start up than my real computer.

Its not just the startup time, its the whole minigame.

Lockpicking takes ten seconds and you can retry until it works, hacking takes ten MINUTES. and you might not get the answer and be locked out.

Its a case of simple game balance.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 06, 2015, 10:34:19 pm »

Does anyone know if there's a way to fix the volume on Radio New Vegas?

Found an answer online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpQShdafsFA

Long story short, download MP3 Gain and use it to normalize the files in Fallout New Vegas/Data/Sound/Songs/radionv to a higher volume (say, 89 decibels)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: March 07, 2015, 12:32:19 am »

Are there any mods that replace/remove the GODDAMN HACKING "MINIGAME"?

I'm at the point in my frustration with it that I just use the console on any computer within my science abilities, which is slow and makes me feel very slightly bad. VERY VERY SLIGHTLY.

The hacking minigame is INCREDIBLY easy though if you know what you are doing.

You locate the mistake reset AND the "eliminate a wrong choice" and you are already halfway there.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 07, 2015, 01:00:11 am »

The hacking minigame is easy but it's a waste of time.

Anyway there's this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34829/?

For both computers and locks. 100% force lock chance, and only one password. You still need the proper skill level so it's not unbalanced.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 128