Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 206366 times)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2010, 07:29:03 pm »

I certainly hope they make Super Muties as powerful as they were in Tactics. For those of you who haven't played tactics super muties are a pain in the ass (they have over 200 HP compared to your squads less than 100 hp per member, and carried SAWs [squad automatic weapon, not the wood workin one], and browning machine guns, and often killed half your squad in one burst).

I think you'll be happy. The super muties in FO3 were similar, still packing over 200 hp (the player can get around 280 if you really try to max it out, and they come in packs of 4-6) and carrying miniguns that can cut you in half (through power armor) in a few seconds if you can't afford to bring similar firepower.

spoiler
DO WANT.

I have over 200 hours in FO3, i thought the muties were puny weaklings compared to tactics and the fact that i have the special minigun Eugene, 14k minigun ammo, and 580 health makes them absolute pushovers. I can kill every mutie in the mall (including overlords) and use maybe 10-20 stimpacks.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:20 pm »

I certainly hope they make Super Muties as powerful as they were in Tactics. For those of you who haven't played tactics super muties are a pain in the ass (they have over 200 HP compared to your squads less than 100 hp per member, and carried SAWs [squad automatic weapon, not the wood workin one], and browning machine guns, and often killed half your squad in one burst).

I think you'll be happy. The super muties in FO3 were similar, still packing over 200 hp (the player can get around 280 if you really try to max it out, and they come in packs of 4-6) and carrying miniguns that can cut you in half (through power armor) in a few seconds if you can't afford to bring similar firepower.

spoiler
DO WANT.

I have over 200 hours in FO3, i thought the muties were puny weaklings compared to tactics and the fact that i have the special minigun Eugene, 14k minigun ammo, and 580 health makes them absolute pushovers. I can kill every mutie in the mall (including overlords) and use maybe 10-20 stimpacks.

I played with the difficulty up.

Do we not have a fallout 3 thread for this?
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2010, 07:34:00 pm »

I can name off hand at least 13 mods that are better than the original campaign, at least for NWN 1

That's likely because NWN1's story sucked due to the rush-out
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2010, 07:39:00 pm »

for the idiots about the weapons, most weapons in the fallout universe came from government labatories or bases so there would have been caches lying all over the map, vault 15 for example had a weapons cache as part of the vault experiment. for the chinese rifles, the chinese did invade the united states during the war and occupied san francisco so their weapons would be here too lying around traded off. i have no objection to the m16, most of the military would have it and its easy to repair.

Reality doesn't matter. What matters is the presentation of the game to the player. You see this retro-futurism / raygun gothic / post-apoc thing. If you saw an ipod it would break immersion. Same with the m16. You want an m16, apply a fan mod. You want an expansion that cleaves true to the setting we've been playing with since Wasteland, you get a BAN-MAL or whatever they wanna call an assault rifle.
's not an x-pak, mon. It's an entire new game. And FO3 kinda threw that setting right out the window after lighting it on fire.

Oh, like Fallout: Tactics?
Your thinking of Brotherhood of Steel, which sucked more ass than Fallout 3, I'll admit. But didn't go quite to the level that Fallout 3 did in butchering of the setting. The problem is that most gamers didn't play fallout 1/2 first, and don't realize what havens of good writing, good story, and how many choices the games give you.

You also disregard the fact that fallout 3 completely butchers canon on a FANFICTION level. Enclave are supposed to be dead, ghouls aren't supposed to be just Rad mutants, but are supposed to be form by FEV or exposure to massive amounts of radiation. FEV was only supposed to be in Mariposa or in the hands of the enclave who got it from Mariposa, the world or at least the US was supposed to be nearly completely leveled but for a VERY few small pockets, how did Moira survive the heat wave that went out after the bomb, I could go on.

When I play it, it's like someone is sitting there shouting something at me, it goes something like this. "SEE SEE IT"S MY FALLOUT SEE SEE I MADE IT SEE SEE IT HAS ENCLAVE AND BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL AND SUPER MUTANTS AND NUKES AND FIFTIES STUFF AND EXPLOSIONS AND IT SUPER DUPER FUN SEE SEE I LIKE MY FALLOUT YOU SHOULD TOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!eleventy11!!!" When they fail to realize they resort to actual necromancy, or complete rape of certain factions purposes. Most of the plot is recycled elements from the previous Fallout's, that were done much better in the previous ones. The writing is complete shit, bar a very few lines. The combat is too easy, unless you are a complete retard.

And I am done now.

EDITED because I made a flub as I wrote that.

So ignore the story and enjoy the gameplay? That's what I did. Its a Bethesda game, how are you expecting good writing?
seconded, last game with good storyline from Bethesda was Daggerfall.
Incidentally, that's the only Bethesda game I have installed currently. I am thinking of installing Oblivion again, once revenge of a classic is released fully. And Morrowind again, to bask in the foreign atmosphere.

And to Chairman Poo. It wasn't really rushed out. It was just dragged down by the fact that the OC was basically a demonstration of the toolset features. They took time to demonstrate lots of little things. And that really made the campaign lack luster to anyone who isn't familiar with the toolset.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2010, 08:10:41 pm »

Their second offering wasn't exactly a smash-hit either, so that excuse doesn't exactly hold water to me. And the setting was about as bland and generic as it could be. Waterdeep? More like Watersleep.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2010, 10:28:49 pm »

Their second offering wasn't exactly a smash-hit either, so that excuse doesn't exactly hold water to me. And the setting was about as bland and generic as it could be. Waterdeep? More like Watersleep.

NWN2, was made by the guy's who are making FO New Vegas. Not by Bioware themselves, HotU and SoU were MUCH improved from the original campaign. Still slightly bland, but decent as opposed to... Ass really.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2010, 10:34:04 pm »

Home of the Underdogs WAS great. I miss it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:09 pm »

Home of the Underdogs WAS great. I miss it.
AND YET IT LIIIIIVVVVVESSSS Well not fully but it's working on it.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2010, 10:42:28 pm »

That would be great if there weren't 3 or 4 sites pretending to be HotU.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2010, 08:03:11 am »

I can name off hand at least 13 mods that are better than the original campaign, at least for NWN 1

Half the problems would have been solved if Aribeth had just done the goddamn quests herself.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2010, 08:49:49 am »

Half the problems would have been solved if Aribeth had just done the goddamn quests herself.
Seriously. "Go and see that the beasts are safe!" Aren't you wearing boots of teleportation? Pop over there, check on them yourself, and come back in 10 seconds!
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:11 pm »

Seriously. "Go and see that the beasts are safe!" Aren't you wearing boots of teleportation? Pop over there, check on them yourself, and come back in 10 seconds!

For some reason my sleep addled mind read that as "Go and see that the breasts are safe!" My reactionary thought was that Freud was right, followed by how that would make an infinitely better main plot. I'm a big fan of if you can't write well, write in a lulzy manner. A Dance with Rogues is a good example of both of these mixed to good results. It's plot is on a fanfiction level, but the writing is at least somewhat competent, as are the characters, at least in the first chapter. But there's nothing quite like having sex with almost anyone who offers. Or the fact that you have to make a skill check to fake an orgasm in a certain part of the plot. I neglected to mention it earlier, I least I think I did, simply for the fact that it's not for everyone. I mean Almraiven you had to dismember and embalm a corpse, but that's nothing like graphic depictions/descriptions of getting brutally raped by 6 gladiators. Also note it's written and designed by a female.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »

Especially since she has plot immunity. All those monotonous caves full of dire wolves and undead would have been a snap!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2010, 01:56:16 am »

Especially since she has plot immunity. All those monotonous caves full of dire wolves and undead would have been a snap!

AND, she could have just outright murdered Maugrim with that bastard sword of hers. Then the snake queen lady would never have been raised in the first place.

GOD DAMMIT lady, use your elven brain for a single minute!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2010, 08:13:09 am »

Eh, aribreast was a silly elf.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 128