Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 128

Author Topic: Fallout: New Vegas  (Read 212205 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout: New Vegas
« Reply #1215 on: March 01, 2015, 08:10:57 pm »

But this is because the New California Republic is dedicated to bringing civilization back to a broken land.

What measure is "civilization"?
Do you simply mean "democracy" or perhaps "similar to what we have now"?

You seem to be basing your choice on the assumption that what we have/hadinfalloutuniverse is intrinsically the best that "civilization" can be.

Alternatively look at the story of Ulysses in Lonesome Road. He saw a totally new "civilization" rise in Hopeville, one that he considered totally distinct from the NCR and he had such great respect for what that new idea could become that he all but went insane when he saw it crushed.
And from his dialogue we see that this "civilization" was formed out of the Courier's own actions.

Also look at the viewpoint of Moira from Fallout 3. Consider her observation that "Everyone is trying to put the pieces back the way they were, but they don't fit anymore. Maybe we should try and make a nice mosaic out of the pieces instead". Fairly insightful given her general personality.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: March 01, 2015, 08:20:41 pm »

Thanks for the reminders.  Keeping in mind that my first and foremost exposure to the series was Fallout 2, wherein the tribals and semi-tribal towns were pitted against the evil Enclave dumb-ocracy, I would have been very sympathetic to the legion.

Except, yeah, they were just stupid.  The evil, I could deal with, but they were absurdly and meaninglessly evil to a stupid degree.  If they had used energy weapons or even guns, I may have joined them.  If they had been low-tech tribals but not so randomly misogynistic, I may have joined them.  It's a real shame.

Also look at the viewpoint of Moira from Fallout 3. Consider her observation that "Everyone is trying to put the pieces back the way they were, but they don't fit anymore. Maybe we should try and make a nice mosaic out of the pieces instead". Fairly insightful given her general personality.

Good quote and point.  But "the way things were", in the Fallout universe, is the Enclave from what I see.  The NCR is patterned after the US, but adapted for the new world.  In particular it seems to give more power to individual states (at least for now) (just like the original United States did).  Because virtibirds are rare, so it's practically impossible to properly police and control a large area from a centralized core of power.  It needs to be a union of actual states, in the original sense.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 01, 2015, 09:06:53 pm »

I burn the Legion because they're fucking Romans, and I hate Rome and everything it ever stood for.  I kill House because he is wrong, his utopia is impossible and so he must die.  I don't try to run Vegas myself because it would FAIL.  If I really had some agency in this game, I'd do everything in my power to get the Brotherhood and Marcus working together and turn the whole damn region into a Brotherhood protectorate.  Since I can't do that, then I will do everything in my power to support the legacy of The Vault Dweller and The Chosen One, so NCR WILL be victorious.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 01, 2015, 09:14:30 pm »

Legion die because they're assholes. House dies because he's an asshole. NCR die because they're assholes (but only after I milk them dry of quest rewards for killing other assholes).

BoS live because they're assholes who give me easy access to energy weapons and power armor, and aren't the fucking Van Graffs. The Van Graffs get robbed blind and slaughtered. The Boomers get to live because they're assholes who blow things up for me. The Enclave Remnants get to live because VERTIBIRD WOOOOO! The Powder Gangers di- ahaha, who am I kidding, nobody knows who they are. Fiends die because they're there.

And, really, just about anyone dies because I have Bloody Mess and high-powered rifles.

Courier Six's Vegas: Be Good Or I'll Fucking Ice You.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 01, 2015, 09:18:47 pm »

I burn the Legion because they're fucking Romans, and I hate Rome and everything it ever stood for.  I kill House because he is wrong, his utopia is impossible and so he must die.  I don't try to run Vegas myself because it would FAIL.  If I really had some agency in this game, I'd do everything in my power to get the Brotherhood and Marcus working together and turn the whole damn region into a Brotherhood protectorate.  Since I can't do that, then I will do everything in my power to support the legacy of The Vault Dweller and The Chosen One, so NCR WILL be victorious.

The Brotherhood of Steel isn't really good, though. Even what's her name says so. And they're not likely to change for the better. The NCR is also hella corrupt and collapsing under the weight of their own expansionism. Legion's just more obvious assholes.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: March 01, 2015, 09:20:14 pm »

I've made my point about the Brotherhood before, you cannot sway my opinion, I support the Brotherhoods goals and will kill everything that gets in their way.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: March 01, 2015, 09:30:15 pm »

The only objectively good faction in New Vegas are the Kings.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: March 01, 2015, 09:36:24 pm »

I too support the Brotherhood of Steel fully.  I was prepared to kick out the NCR because my friends said there could be no peace between NCR and the Brotherhood, but I found the way (despite self-imposed 10 points in speech, heh). 

To be honest, the entire Brotherhood-NCR conflict seems a bit uncharacteristic of the Brotherhood.  In-game they have only been secretive and protective, never aggressive.  Even freely trading non-combat technologies to help humanity regenerate.  I blame the conflict on Elijah.

(Though, Dead Money is the one DLC I haven't played yet.  Ironic, since I was obsessed with finding him...  I didn't know his role in that one until I completed the rest, and my friends told me while laughing).

As far as I'm concerned, they're the greatest (lawful) good left in the world.  Certain military technology *should* be withheld, because the world is a savage place for now.  All other technologies they collect, collate, and share.  They represent the greatest ideals of the pre-war military merged with the pre-war scientific community.  Warhammer space marines, they ain't.

The Followers of the Apocalypse may win in sheer generosity, but they fail in vision and effectiveness.  But in my head-canon, the NCR adopts the Brotherhood and the Followers as semi-autonomous branches of government.  With the NCR's scope, the Brotherhood's knowledge, and the Followers' humanitarianism, a truly good republic can emerge.

The only objectively good faction in New Vegas are the Kings.
I almost killed those punks until I learned the truth.  Then I was happy to support them.
They're still kinda pathetic but whatever, every kingdom needs a county.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: March 01, 2015, 09:40:07 pm »

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #1224 on: March 01, 2015, 09:49:10 pm »

I always wished there was a mod that would transform the game into something like Caravaneer. You travel around and deal with factions, trying to make a living with a caravan. Defending against raiders, pissing off the wrong guys, etc.
I got nothing

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:05 pm »

I too support the Brotherhood of Steel fully.  I was prepared to kick out the NCR because my friends said there could be no peace between NCR and the Brotherhood, but I found the way (despite self-imposed 10 points in speech, heh). 

To be honest, the entire Brotherhood-NCR conflict seems a bit uncharacteristic of the Brotherhood.  In-game they have only been secretive and protective, never aggressive.  Even freely trading non-combat technologies to help humanity regenerate.  I blame the conflict on Elijah.

(Though, Dead Money is the one DLC I haven't played yet.  Ironic, since I was obsessed with finding him...  I didn't know his role in that one until I completed the rest, and my friends told me while laughing).

Dead Money isn't very good though, gameplay-wise. They use a bunch of cheap gimmicks to increase difficulty (such as non-resistible health draining gas, immortal hologram enemies, platform jumping, and - for some inexplicable reason - deadly radios [which are played completely straight to the point where it is unclear whether the game creators even realized that it was a ridiculous idea])
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: March 01, 2015, 10:13:20 pm »

Pfff Dead Money was lots of fun as a bit of a gameplay shift (it's Bioshock done with a fallout vibe), and the plot was tragically delicious.

I think the GI Joe Brotherhood bullshit from 3 is kind of clouding the idea of the Brotherhood of Steel. They don't care at all about anyone who isn't born into the Brotherhood or that they can use to further their own goals: keep all technology for us and let the savages outside die.

Picking a fight with the NCR broke the BOS's power base permanently and sent them into a death spiral from which they cannot recover in their current form. At absolute best individual bunkers may defect but those are a couple hundred people apiece, tops. Not viable breeding populations if they continue their isolationism, and if they don't their culture itself will not survive intact.

It's all well and good anyway, since at this point the grotesque horror of Mariposa is fading along with Maxson's original holier-than-thou defection, leaving the BOS an empty shell rattling around with obsolete, suicidal doctrine.

What I don't understand is... There's a faction in canon that matches what people are trying to make the BOS out to be. Christine from Dead Money is a member. They're called the Circle of Steel and they do exactly what the trunk Brotherhood won't: wield technological superiority as a political influence on the wasteland, without dumbass ideas like starting land wars in Russia sending the majority of their population to die against the NCR.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:50 pm »

I burn the Legion because they're fucking Romans, and I hate Rome and everything it ever stood for.  I kill House because he is wrong, his utopia is impossible and so he must die.

His utopia is quite achievable, at least once he gets his futuristic super-science tech running again (remember, he has apparently created stuff in the past that makes even the tech in Big Mountain look backwards). Also, I support him because he's the philosophical and military opposite of the Legion; the Legion is all about human strength, close quarters melee combat, ludditeism, and the problems of yesterday today; if you support House he wipes them out by having his robots gun them all down.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: March 01, 2015, 10:33:58 pm »

House lacks humanity.  His utopia can only exist in a perfect vacuum where he is god and every living thing follows his every thought exactly.  I have no tolerance for that kind of self-indulgent idealism.  The NCR exists in the now, and they have the only even vaguely functional system in place to deal with the wastes.  Regardless of our bickering the continuing story of Fallout will have the NCR victorious and the world become more tame, until the next chapter, where the courageous (hero) steps forward from obscurity into legend by defeating the (evil) and saving the slowly expanding hope of humanity (NCR or its successor).  Because that is the story of Fallout, and, like war, it never changes.

Edit:  And the Brotherhood will continue, because it is part of the setting and until New Vegas, was in fact the single most important part of the setting.  Even with its diminished role, the BoS isn't leaving any time soon.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:43:04 pm by NullForceOmega »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:22 pm »

- M-16! Finally added.
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductScreenshots.aspx?Product_ID=74570&image=14

This shit again... Why is the original Fallout and Fallout 3 the only ones to do it right? Real world weapons don't fit the theming mostly...

What do you think of the game's fictional weapons attributed to real world companies (like the Glock 86 Plasma Defender)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 128