Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 444002 times)

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.6
« Reply #570 on: June 28, 2013, 01:13:43 pm »

I had done that tons of times, still got nothing but a orange box. me sad. :(

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 28, 2013, 03:05:13 pm »

I had done that tons of times, still got nothing but a orange box. me sad. :(

The reason why you are getting all orange or all black is because the whole map is all the same value, so there is no way to differentiate between values. If you have a valid elevation map, the button should give you something more usable. If you are trying to generate a volcanic map without an elevation map, then the cusp map doesn't have any meaning, but you should still be able to use noise instead.

On the 'Map Parameters' tab, make sure you have the 'use' checkbox for elevation map checked, and that the elevation map is generated. If you try to make a volcano map before the elevation map, the cusp map won't have a reference for altitudes.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

vcordie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 28, 2013, 08:14:49 pm »

I finally managed to get the cusp map to work, but no idea what it means. How can I get the volcanos to be relatively flat. as flat as it can be. I know the world gen does unavoidable budging up on volcanos, but im hoping not to get any cliffs higher then a 3-4.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 30, 2013, 03:11:05 pm »

I finally managed to get the cusp map to work, but no idea what it means. How can I get the volcanos to be relatively flat. as flat as it can be. I know the world gen does unavoidable budging up on volcanos, but im hoping not to get any cliffs higher then a 3-4.

This is one of those things that tends to change from version to version in DF. I've seen volcanos push up mountains, and then a version change comes and it goes back to just pools of magma on flat ground. I'm not sure how to coax it to stop pushing up.

The cusp map means that there is an altitude you can set where the most volcanism is. There are two 'cusps' actually, one that comes from the highest altitude and another that comes from the lowest altitude, so you can have volcanoes in the mountains, but also some coming up from the ocean floor. It's kind of an arbitrary way to handle it, but I though it might be useful to some people in addition to just using noise.

My latest forts:

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 30, 2013, 05:54:25 pm »

There is a way to get volcanoes exactly where you want them, but it's a bit long winded and fiddly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
« Reply #575 on: July 07, 2013, 04:21:45 am »

delete me
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:25:04 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

Defacto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »

Help! Everything in the map parameters window is greyed out. I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I can't be sure since there doesn't seem to be any kind of detailed installation instruction.

Edit: After two days of being completely unable of solving this, I solve it 2 minutes after making this post... I guess I'll keep this post for the other problems which are bound to appear
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:20:35 pm by Defacto »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 15, 2013, 09:33:50 am »

Help! Everything in the map parameters window is greyed out. I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I can't be sure since there doesn't seem to be any kind of detailed installation instruction.

Edit: After two days of being completely unable of solving this, I solve it 2 minutes after making this post... I guess I'll keep this post for the other problems which are bound to appear

Make sure to read the manual that comes with it. That should prevent many if not most problems.

My latest forts:

CR055H41RZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 02, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »

I love using this to muck about.
A suggestion: make a slider bar for the value input

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 20, 2013, 12:59:21 am »

This fun, it will be interesting to see how these types of utilities will work with latter DF updates also.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:45 pm »

I just created my first world. Didn't know what I was doing, but kept clicking stuff anyway. The result is utterly epic and really shows what the terrain generation code in DF is capable of...

Truly epic stuff

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 15, 2014, 10:51:54 am »

So I am working on a new version of this, and I can now support text based parameters in the world gen file. At this time(34.11) those are the alphabetic seed values for the random generation, but there may be others in the future.

Now that I am revisiting this code, it would be a good time for requests. Since I haven't used this in forever, I don't remember what the remaining issues are. I suppose the manual could use an update. Is there anything that new users find extremely difficult to understand?

My latest forts:

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #582 on: January 15, 2014, 10:54:40 am »

A way to paint volcanoes would be nice. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:25 am »

A way to paint volcanoes would be nice. :)

Yep. That has to be solved.

I have to decide how to do this. I wonder if I can just treat volcanoes as a special case, or if there are general issues with the way the sliders interact with the paint function that could be improved for the other maps as well.

My latest forts:

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.7
« Reply #584 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:31 pm »

Ok, 1.7 is up! Take it for a spin and let me know if I broke anything. PWDF now supports text based world gen tags and has a more precise volcano slider that makes placing volcanoes in specific places much easier.

Just turn the volcano slider to 100 so that there are no volcanoes, then click the numeric control to set the percent to 99.999. That will create exactly one volcano somewhere on a large sized map. Painting then with the point brush at 1.0 value will create additional volcanoes and also re-set the percentage more exactly so that your painting is not erased like it was when only whole percentage points were supported. 

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54