Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 443927 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #360 on: February 27, 2011, 10:04:39 pm »

not the creator but
I have a question for the creator here... sort of a feature request.

You're already using separate image maps for each type you can attach to the world_gen file, like Volcanism, Drainage, etc, right?  So what about being able to import and export these images as well as the height map.  That way we could import, say... a Volcanism map that specifies exactly what and where we want the volcanism, instead of playing around with noise and whatnot.
While this would be a cool feature, I have to ask... you know about the paintbrush, right?

Also, as sort of a tecnhical question, not necessarily towards the OP, what resolution is the map imported into DF as? If I have a 256x256 map, does that mean that Perfect world is feeding DF a 256x256 image as a height map? Because the image that you get exported from legends in worldgen is something like 16x that size.  Is it at all possible to somehow edit THAT map at THAT resolution?  Because I'd love to be able to set up a world where the rivers didn't all have canyon walls.  Or maybe not have rivers that cut through a sheer cliff face because they can't run up-hill...  I can do better terrain generation than DF does with freaking PAINT!
I think I can answer this, too.  If you look into the post-import world_gen.txt file, you can see PW's output.  If you zoom way out, parts of it actually look kind of like an ASCII map, but whatever it is it's all text which means it's amazing it can even pull off 256x256--that's over 60,000 tiles, each with several dimensions.  DF then uses that data to procedurally generate a far more minutely detailed playable world-map (at least down to individual embark tiles, 256 per world-gen tile); that's what the legends export is drawing from.

Regardless, it's all built off the output for the in-application worldmap painter (which a lot of people don't even know about because it's a terrible PW buried in menus), so I'm pretty sure there's not much cephalo can do to change the resolution.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2011, 04:22:20 pm »

I do know about the paintbrush that DF provides, but it seems to me to be very clunky.  It won't produce natural looking results like a peoper graphics editor could.  I don't have layers or templates or curve editors or whatever... easier to ask for an import/export mechanism than all that stuff, right?
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:46 pm »

With the updates for metal scarcity variable, will Perfect World require an update?
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 07, 2011, 11:40:36 pm »

It probably will.  Until any updates I'm just adding the metal scarcity parameter in by hand.

cryopyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 07, 2011, 11:47:36 pm »

Seems like a rational solution.
"Now it's day and night the irons clang, and like poor galley slaves we toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves. But some dark night, when everything is silent in the town I'll shoot those tyrants one and all, I'll gun the flogger down. I'll give the land a little shock, remember what I say, and they'll yet regret they've sent Jim Jones in chains to Botany Bay."
-- "Jim Jones", Traditional

rawrjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 20, 2011, 04:41:17 am »

Is there like a detailed walkthrough on how to use this? The manual is cool and all, but I`m looking for something with a little more detail. And being that I am a visual learner, you know.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2011, 04:07:53 pm »

I think there is something wrong with the vulcanism map, because generating a map with the volcano thresh-hold at 21 results in an identical map to 1 with the threshold at 100.

Is there like a detailed walkthrough on how to use this? The manual is cool and all, but I`m looking for something with a little more detail. And being that I am a visual learner, you know.
Not really, but the tool isn't that hard to figure out if you read the manual. The brush is for painting, and the turbulence and noise field generators are there to give you a start.
Beyond that, it's really more try-and-error kind of tool, but you can get feedback from your changes very quickly.
Is there anything specific you wish to accomplish and can't with your current knowledge?

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2011, 06:12:36 pm »

hey um...i used to have version 1.2 and it worked with the 31.25 version without upgrading to 1.4  for the cavern depths levels and stuff.

is that normal? and no i don't have it anymore.  sorry if i'm misinformed.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:37 pm »

basically the only difference between a map parameter in 31.01 and 31.25 is that the latter has a few fields the former doesn't.  if you use a parameter set that lacks a given field, DF will just use the default as a placeholder.  as a result, DF version changes haven't really ever broken compatibility with Perfect World and probably never really will.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 08, 2011, 07:26:24 am »

I guess I browse the worldgen.ini for mosssing parameter for vulcanism then. thx.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 08, 2011, 09:36:30 am »

I think there is something wrong with the vulcanism map, because generating a map with the volcano thresh-hold at 21 results in an identical map to 1 with the threshold at 100.

As far as actual volcanos go, this should be true. The main parameter governing volcanos is the 'minimum volcanos' parameter which will generally create that exact number of volcanos or reject the map if it can't. Changing the threshold doesn't change where the spots of highest vulcanism are.

However, though I haven't played the newest versions, it may make a difference as to what stone layers are there. With vulcanism at 100, you shouldn't find any sedementary rock layers which is where many important materials are found, like flux. If you do find sedementary rock at that setting, then just ignore me because I have no clue how it all works. :)
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2011, 01:29:04 pm »

No you're deffinitely right.  I often place the vulcanism quite low for the mountaintops, and get plenty of flux in my mountains.

That being said, any plans for an update, Cephalo? I can't play Civ without PW, and now I can't play DF without my own world to craft.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 09, 2011, 04:48:09 pm »

No you're deffinitely right.  I often place the vulcanism quite low for the mountaintops, and get plenty of flux in my mountains.

That being said, any plans for an update, Cephalo? I can't play Civ without PW, and now I can't play DF without my own world to craft.

This is one of my Fav't utilities for DF. I can not wait for this to be updated to be honest.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 10, 2011, 06:56:08 am »

It's not a huge thing to add the MINERAL_SCARCITY parameter.  But I'd like to see at least one more thing added in:

Temperature map import.

I've faked it by drawing a temp map in The Gimp, then importing it as a height map, exporting the worldgen parameters, then taking the elevation map and changing the tags in front of it... but you know, I'd rather not hack it.  There needn't be any in-program support other than an "import bitmap" button for it.  For that matter, I'd love to be able to import all the maps separately.  Right now you can only import an elevation map, but theoretically one could import each and every one of the tabs as a separate map.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2011, 08:37:50 am »

the applicarion wont start :C
I am a Goober.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 54