Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 444076 times)

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2010, 01:26:18 pm »

cephalo, first I want to thank you for making this utility. It has saved SO much of my time playing around with the (possibly bugged) world painter! My other point for posting this is about the temperature gradient. (Please excuse if this has been suggested before, it seems quite evident) Is it possible to set both Min+Max Temperature to something like 10000, then apply a formula to the generated temperature map? Because the gradient generator might simply generate a flat gradient, so it'll only take some tries to get a working formula.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2010, 05:33:27 pm »

cephalo, first I want to thank you for making this utility. It has saved SO much of my time playing around with the (possibly bugged) world painter! My other point for posting this is about the temperature gradient. (Please excuse if this has been suggested before, it seems quite evident) Is it possible to set both Min+Max Temperature to something like 10000, then apply a formula to the generated temperature map? Because the gradient generator might simply generate a flat gradient, so it'll only take some tries to get a working formula.

I might be able to figure something out. Then the only hangup is that people will have to keep a close eye on how their generation is going to make sure they are getting what they expected. It might not be very obvious at all, depending on how they configured their temperature map.

It would not be much fun to spend hours genning what you think is the ideal world, and then find out on your second fort that much of the map is actually unusable.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

IAmThad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 07, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »

I've made a version that Mac users can use without installing Mono or Wine using WineBottler. It's quite large (the .app is 500+ MB), but it compresses down to about 160 MB. It's too large for DFFD, so here it is on Filevo: PerfectWorldDF_1_2_OSX.tar.bz2 - 156.7 Mb

Anyway, Mac users should be able to download and uncompress that and use it without any other work. Note that your Mac's HD seems to show up as Z:\ in the open and save dialogs.

I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work alright. Let me know if you have any problems; I might be able to help you solve them.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 08, 2010, 10:23:35 am »

I've made a version that Mac users can use without installing Mono or Wine using WineBottler. It's quite large (the .app is 500+ MB), but it compresses down to about 160 MB. It's too large for DFFD, so here it is on Filevo: PerfectWorldDF_1_2_OSX.tar.bz2 - 156.7 Mb

Anyway, Mac users should be able to download and uncompress that and use it without any other work. Note that your Mac's HD seems to show up as Z:\ in the open and save dialogs.

I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work alright. Let me know if you have any problems; I might be able to help you solve them.

Wow, just out of curiosity, how does one turn a half meg app into 500MB? Did you have to re-write the whole .net framework for mac?

My latest forts:

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #244 on: August 08, 2010, 11:01:26 am »

I'd guess that the app contains all the bits of Wine and Mono needed to run the program. Personally I'm puzzled why you wouldn't just install the full programs at that point, at least then other apps can use them.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

IAmThad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 08, 2010, 11:59:58 am »

I'd guess that the app contains all the bits of Wine and Mono needed to run the program. Personally I'm puzzled why you wouldn't just install the full programs at that point, at least then other apps can use them.

Yeah, it packages in both wine and mono. The point was for ease of use, but I realize now that it's fairly impractical to do it this way.

chewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: August 08, 2010, 06:14:56 pm »

I don't know, if anyone from you guys can do something with that, but here are heightmaps of some rl-countries and islands, which look pretty neat.

Edit: Aargh, forgot the link: http://bmp.thefloatingwidget.net/heightmaps/
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:23:20 am by chewie »

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 08, 2010, 06:19:28 pm »

awesome!

love your civ4 map scripts.

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »

Does anyone happen to have the seed file of a "perfect" site, with flux, a river, a forest, and a volcano? I've been trying to generate one for a helluva lot longer than I'd like to admit.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2010, 12:55:51 pm »

Does anyone happen to have the seed file of a "perfect" site, with flux, a river, a forest, and a volcano? I've been trying to generate one for a helluva lot longer than I'd like to admit.

In the OP there's a link to instructions on getting flux with a surface volcano. It's a bit tricky.

My latest forts:

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2010, 01:35:49 pm »

Yes I know. And I've been fine-tuning the settings for hours and the flux is always one full map tile away. I managed to get flux right next to a volcano ONCE in about 50 gens, but realized afterwards my civilization was dead. Was hoping someone has managed to already generate one to share. If not, I'll share mine if I ever get one. :(

Aaaaand I've FINALLY found one... It's not perfect, but after 6 hours I'm at the end of my rope. The map has nowhere as much wood as expected, but it has flux, a river, a volcano, and some wood, all within 3x3 squares! More forest can easily be obtained by expanding to the east.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pop http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3553747/Godglaze-param-region1-78-1.txt into the end of your data/init/world_gen.txt file.

The elves have been eliminated and there is only one titan, but you can mess with the history and creature seeds to try and balance everything. The map is very finicky and the elves, dwarves, or goblins are easily wiped out.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:29:51 pm by Tokeli »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2010, 07:52:10 am »

Yeah, using that technique I posted on a world smaller than huge probably doesn't work exactly as advertised. In the case of a 65x65 map, you'll want the volcano 'dots' to be more like 4x4 blobs, or else you might get rejections for not having enough volcanoes.

This is a case where genning a high res map and shrinking it actually makes things more difficult.

My latest forts:

Tokeli

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wow, mew
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 10, 2010, 02:23:38 pm »

The problem wasn't with getting enough volcanoes, it was getting the volcanism mix just perfect by tweaking the noise settings by 1% and generating over and over and over. Since almost every volcano had flux stone around it, but it stopped one map tile away from the volcano. But my god your tool is amazing! Thank you so much for it.  :D

Shagomir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 10, 2010, 06:53:42 pm »

I totally redid my North America worldgen. I think it's looking pretty good now.

Link to the Worldgen file download!

The uploaded file has Large, Medium, Small, and Pocket sizes for the worldgen, so you should be able to find a version that works for you. Only Large and Medium give really good results, Fun things happen on Small and Pocket.
Take a look at my fancy North America Worldgen!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 10, 2010, 06:58:26 pm »

Cool. Looking forward to trying out the new region.

I get very interesting results with Civilization Forge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54