Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 444088 times)

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2010, 07:41:21 am »

one of these days i gotta get a better middle-earth heightmap.  the one I'm using was made for simcity 4, where all water needs to be at a certain level, which caused havok with the vulcanism map since there was a range of jagged cliffs underwater at every point. 

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2010, 07:53:16 am »

one of these days i gotta get a better middle-earth heightmap.  the one I'm using was made for simcity 4, where all water needs to be at a certain level, which caused havok with the vulcanism map since there was a range of jagged cliffs underwater at every point.

Remember all that volcanism stuff is adjustable. In fact you don't have to use the cusp map at all and just use the random noise. Turn the cusp map weight to zero.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2010, 07:56:21 am »

Remember all that volcanism stuff is adjustable. In fact you don't have to use the cusp map at all and just use the random noise. Turn the cusp map weight to zero.

I've done enough weighting that it's good on my current copy, but I still think having more natural coastlines and rivers would be preferable

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2010, 08:58:43 am »

Trying to install that now, seems to think it already is.

*is using windows for the first time in many, many years*

Yep, did a full repair, no change. Can anyone walk the dumb mac use through this?
I use it on my Mac with minimal issues.

You have to install a program called mono. Download it here:
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Nick

Sorry, that last post was misleading- in the one before I mentioned I'm on a windows machine now (and for the next few weeks), I just have no idea how to use .NET

It's telling me "No runtime was found".
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2010, 09:41:49 am »

Trying to install that now, seems to think it already is.

*is using windows for the first time in many, many years*

Yep, did a full repair, no change. Can anyone walk the dumb mac use through this?
I use it on my Mac with minimal issues.

You have to install a program called mono. Download it here:
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

Nick

Sorry, that last post was misleading- in the one before I mentioned I'm on a windows machine now (and for the next few weeks), I just have no idea how to use .NET

It's telling me "No runtime was found".

Usually you can install it through Windows Update I think. The version number is important, there exists a 3,0 and a 4.0, you want 3.5 specifically. Sorry it's so difficult. I'm using VC# 2008 Express, the one that's free, and it doesn't come with the functionality of building an installer that takes care of this detail.

My latest forts:

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2010, 03:20:25 am »

Is there a program that allow me to just alter the way a map will be, not as precise as this?
Like if I want a large undergroundcavern and magma, I can set parameters to allow it but not have to create it myself.

I like the suprise of what you find. Although I'd like to have some adventure in caverns.
And maybe able to set how hostile Goblins are etc.

As it is now, all my forts (around 5) have all been quite peaceful.
Cheers.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2010, 11:17:22 pm »

Is there a program that allow me to just alter the way a map will be, not as precise as this?
Like if I want a large undergroundcavern and magma, I can set parameters to allow it but not have to create it myself.

I like the suprise of what you find. Although I'd like to have some adventure in caverns.
And maybe able to set how hostile Goblins are etc.

As it is now, all my forts (around 5) have all been quite peaceful.
Cheers.

Well, you might study the world_gen parameters. They will give you a fair amount of control. Most of the stuff in the 40d wiki still applies. Also, you don't have to use every map with PW. For example, it's hard to make volcanos with the world gen params, but you could use all the default maps and use PW only for the volcanism.

My latest forts:

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2010, 02:00:40 pm »

Code: [Select]
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2267/historicalmapregion31.png
limitless potential

anacrucis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 30, 2010, 05:11:16 pm »

OK maybe this is a noob question: any good advice for generating grayscale bitmaps for import? I'd love to take maps of real places and turn them into DF maps but I have no idea where to start to get the bitmap.

mikefictiti0us

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Radio Rivendell
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2010, 08:44:23 pm »

A couple of people have requested a ready made version of Middle Earth, so I thought I'd post mine. I've fine tuned most of the features so that it is reasonably accurate.

Add this to your world_gen.txt : http://users.tpg.com.au/fade2blk/MidEarthLarge.txt

* Mordor is a wasteland, the Forodwaith is cold and barren and the Haradwaith is a large desert.
* Volcanoes only spawn in the general area of mountains (occasionally right on top of Mount Doom as well :D).
* Added the Lonely Mountain, Mirkwood Mountains, Mount Doom and a couple of others.
* Added forests of Fangorn, Old Forest, Mirkwood, Lorien and several others to their approximate locations.
* Reworked rivers and added proper savagery for each area.

You might have to gen it a couple of times to get the frozen wastes to appear in the north instead of the south. I also added a large amount of good/evil square counts (not shown on the map below because it makes it look messy) so that you have decent variation. You can always turn them down if you don't like the current settings.

257x257 Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:37:38 am by mikefictiti0us »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2010, 01:19:11 am »

OK maybe this is a noob question: any good advice for generating grayscale bitmaps for import? I'd love to take maps of real places and turn them into DF maps but I have no idea where to start to get the bitmap.
Lots of strategy games let you import bitmap heightmaps. The SimCity series is one, And Simtropolis has quite a few maps. IIRC RailRoad Tycoon II and III maps should work too.

anacrucis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:29 am »

Lots of strategy games let you import bitmap heightmaps. The SimCity series is one, And Simtropolis has quite a few maps. IIRC RailRoad Tycoon II and III maps should work too.

Awesome, I'll have to check these out.  From talking to a friend of mine with more graphics editing experience than I, though, it sounds like there's no good way to create your own short of just... creating your own. (He suggested using a combination of "magic wand" and autofill on a topographical map.)

Ogantai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2010, 09:18:29 am »

Are there any settings that make sedimentary layers more likely to occur?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:00 am »

Are there any settings that make sedimentary layers more likely to occur?

Volcanism below igneous extrusive gives a good chance for sedimentary layers, but it's still not guaranteed. There's a link on the first post that explains how to get a volcano with a sedimentary layer.

My latest forts:

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2010, 03:43:13 am »

Thanks for sharing the middle earth map, mikefictiti0us
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54