Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 444051 times)

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2010, 08:09:13 pm »

My PerfectWorld is being rejected:
The Land of Hurricanes, region2: Initial glacier square count fails by -12
The Land of Hurricanes, region2: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -529
The Land of Typhoons, region2: No controllable entity definitions available
The Wondrous Universe of Enchantment, region2: No controllable entity definitions available
The Wondrous Universe of Enchantment, region2: No controllable entity definitions available

I've added a bunch of mountain biomes, so it should be able to place dwarves on the map. It never gets to the point of a history. It stops around "placing beasts."

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2010, 09:27:28 pm »

My PerfectWorld is being rejected:
The Land of Hurricanes, region2: Initial glacier square count fails by -12
The Land of Hurricanes, region2: Not enough low altitudes after shift down: -529

I've added a bunch of mountain biomes, so it should be able to place dwarves on the map. It never gets to the point of a history. It stops around "placing beasts."

The Land of Hurricanes is interesting because those reasons should be disabled in PW by default as soon as you use an elevation map. Where you using the default DF elevation map by chance and just adding a PW savagery map or something?

No controllable entity *usually* means that there are no neutral alignment, non-savage mountains. Dwarves will not settle on Good or Evil mountains, and also not on Savage mountains. So you might have lots of mountains, but if all of the non-savage ones are good or evil, or if the only neutral ones are in savage territory, it won't work.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:32 pm »

It was the savage thing. I thought I'd gotten rid of the extremely savage savagry map, but I had not, so every square was savagery 66. I fixed that and all is well.

My elevation map was flat, except for 20 ior so mountains I added in so Dwarves could have a place to start. I'm a Michigan boy, and the difficulty of finding good freshwater lakes in DF was starting to annoy, so I created a plateau with no ocean.

Now to find an island with flux...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2010, 11:20:55 pm »

Hmm, any chance I could request someone make a dwarven heaven world gen for me? I was never particulary good at adjusting the stuff before and don't really have a clue where to start with this mod. Perks include lots of megabeasts, lots a iron, river or brook, magma, mountain, relatively high value sedimentary/flux layer, lots of trees, sand, ect.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:25:15 pm by userpay »

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2010, 11:32:59 pm »

This isn't a program that draws the map you play in. It draws the entire world. Presumably you could design a world so that it'd have lots of places with iron and all that other stuff, but I don't know how.

What it can make is easy to make. You open it up in the elevation screen, and click where you want high ground. If you have some specific place you want to play you can import a grayscale image. Simcity maps work great.

Once you have that you can tell it to make oceans in a certain percentage of the map, and it'll try. From other screens you can determine the tree line, and how much of the map is grasslands, so a 100% forested map would not be hard to create.

The difficulty I ran into is that the map needs a couple nuetral mountain biomes with less then 66 savagery. Without those mountains there's no mountainhome.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »

Ah found the manual so now I've figured it out somewhat. Wouldn't mind suggestions for what to tweak for the above.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »

Ah found the manual so now I've figured it out somewhat. Wouldn't mind suggestions for what to tweak for the above.

The only thing I can think of is that high volcanism areas tend to have no flux. So to have surface magma along with flux requires a layer of marble, which is very hit or miss, in fact I haven't actually seen it myself. The finder only lets you search for flux, so it won't help you there.

PW allows for large regions of max volcanism, which can thereby eliminate flux in large regions.

HFS Spoiler warning...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My latest forts:

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2010, 01:48:52 pm »

basically the best thing you can do is to not use PerfectWorld for volcanism, but let DF gen it with the volcanism variance high and the mesh values heavily weighted towards extremes (in other words, 1-20 and 80-100 should have high values, the middle three should get low or null value).

Another option is just to have a really compact underground.  I used PW to create an oceanless map with a huge central basin just a hair above sea level.  It's got a good limestone layer and therefore all the mineral wealth I could ever want, and an unending supply of undead camels. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 14, 2010, 02:31:26 pm »

Hmm well I suppose I should be more interested in sedimentary layers than having an active pipe, any particular ways to boost that aside from making sure volcanism isn't to high?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2010, 02:56:24 pm »

basically the best thing you can do is to not use PerfectWorld for volcanism, but let DF gen it with the volcanism variance high and the mesh values heavily weighted towards extremes (in other words, 1-20 and 80-100 should have high values, the middle three should get low or null value).

I just wanna say that PW gives you total control over the Volcanism map, you can have as little or as much as you want.  ;)

My latest forts:

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 16, 2010, 08:15:23 am »

This is a fantastic tool, thank you very much cephalo!  I made a height map of Middle Earth a while back but never got round to working it into a DF map, this tool makes it so easy :)  (I especially liked the "savage east" preset, hehe)

Just one question... I keep getting evil (?) seas.  Any tips on how to get regular blue sea?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 16, 2010, 09:42:53 am »

This is a fantastic tool, thank you very much cephalo!  I made a height map of Middle Earth a while back but never got round to working it into a DF map, this tool makes it so easy :)  (I especially liked the "savage east" preset, hehe)

Just one question... I keep getting evil (?) seas.  Any tips on how to get regular blue sea?

Yeah, in the param set there are controls for how many tiles should be in good or evil regions of a certain size. In PW this is on the 'Map Generation Parameters' tab. The issue is that if the number of tiles in large regions is set to a number greater than zero, you run the risk that this good or evil large region will be your ocean. If you have mulitple oceans, this might be ok and even desirable, because there are some creatures that need good/evil oceans like mermaids and skeletal whales. But the count of good/evil large regions is extremely difficult to control due to the extremely numerically loose definition of a large region. Whether you choose 1, 10000 or 30000 tiles you still might end up with only one good/evil region, and if your ocean is large as oceans tend to be, it's very likely to be your ocean.

In my judgement, the best place to have good and evil is in medium sized regions, so I bump that up to a high count, (like 7000 or so on a large sized map) and leave the large region count at zero. At that point if I want mermaids I need to make a medium ocean somewhere and hope it ends up 'good'.

My latest forts:

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 16, 2010, 09:54:51 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I found Turambar's awesome Middle Earth (thanks, T) so will be using that instead of my poor effort, but I foresee spending a lot of time with this program.  ;)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Old-one-eye

• Bay Watcher
  • Good Day to you! Fhtagn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 16, 2010, 10:14:34 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I found Turambar's awesome Middle Earth (thanks, T) so will be using that instead of my poor effort, but I foresee spending a lot of time with this program.  ;)
Please link/explain? :D
Quote from: breadbocks
ENRAGED
Quote from: Snook
Breadbocks has gone berserk!

brenneman

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »

Mr. Cephalo;

As a long time lurker in the forums, I have registered today so that I might thank you.  Your PerfectWorldDF v1.1 has greatly increased my enjoyment of this already fiendishly addictive game.  Not only is the product itself a simple joy to use, the documentation is clear and thorough.  I endorse this product and/or service!

brenneman
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54