Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 444009 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2010, 02:27:56 am »

I had such problems with hand-customized world gens. Did you try to make more non-savage mountains for dwarves to settle? Did you try to add more good regions? Fix the errors it shows you and it will work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2010, 07:40:23 am »

Hello,

not know if anyone got this problem.  I generated new map using the PW utility for .06  (and run ... play having fun.)

Later i upgraded to .08 and ran new PW instance (using same world_gen that was created by PW), and it pop up error
saying no room for dwarf civilization, need good zones, gave with bunches of options.

Anyone run into this kind of problem with PW created world_gen?

R

Dwarves need neutral alignment, non-savage mountains to settle in. One thing that PW can do sometimes, especially if you use mountain borders, is connect all the mountains to form one really big mountain range. If you have a tile count for large good and evil areas, this one mountain range might become good or evil, which dwarves will not settle in.

Personally, I always use 'zero' large good and evil areas, because I find it too hard to control those. Sometimes you can get away with setting those to 1, but you have to make sure you have three mountain ranges and possibly three oceans if you want to be sure to have neutral mountains and oceans.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:45:05 am by cephalo »
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:39 am »

would it be possible to make the brushes increment or decrement the values they are over, it feels more natural to me when using heightmaps.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2010, 08:28:02 am »

would it be possible to make the brushes increment or decrement the values they are over, it feels more natural to me when using heightmaps.

I actually had it that way originally, but I was finding it very hard to use. It's still very hard to use though lol.

My latest forts:

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »

Hello,

then i am totally confused.   the PW is medium sized,  But...  works perfectly fine in .06.   

Bit confused with suggestion.  I am going to make a few guesses.  In pw savage tab, 

red = savage,
light green = good
dark green = neutral

and not sure how to count mountains in my map.  right now there are "mountain" zones... surrounded by
desert/plains/water body/etc.  I even created "river channel" in middle of one mountain zone
(therefore what i thought is fourth and fifth zones)... not sure if this count as 1 or two zones.

based on suggestion, I viewed savergy map and noted two mountain zones is not "touched" by red. 
however those same two 'zones without red' shares either light green or dark green.
So clearly I am lost.

HELP...  do i need to attach this file?

R

edit:  I unchecked savergy map and created new world_gen.txt and tried...  getting different result.   keeps on
rejecting regions when it starts trying place civilization.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 05:26:12 pm by rynait »

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2010, 08:59:22 pm »

Hello,

then i am totally confused.   the PW is medium sized,  But...  works perfectly fine in .06.   

Bit confused with suggestion.  I am going to make a few guesses.  In pw savage tab, 

red = savage,
light green = good
dark green = neutral

and not sure how to count mountains in my map.  right now there are "mountain" zones... surrounded by
desert/plains/water body/etc.  I even created "river channel" in middle of one mountain zone
(therefore what i thought is fourth and fifth zones)... not sure if this count as 1 or two zones.

based on suggestion, I viewed savergy map and noted two mountain zones is not "touched" by red. 
however those same two 'zones without red' shares either light green or dark green.
So clearly I am lost.

HELP...  do i need to attach this file?

R

edit:  I unchecked savergy map and created new world_gen.txt and tried...  getting different result.   keeps on
rejecting regions when it starts trying place civilization.

Keep in mind that savagery is something different than good/evil. The savagery map controls how tough the animals are in the area. It is possible to have a region that is savage and good, or savage and evil. Here's a handy chart http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Region#Surroundings. Good mountains are yellow, evil mountains are purple. You want white/gray mountains in a non-savage area, that is next to land (not ocean).

You can adjust good/evil in the world gen parameters. The wiki explains how to do that.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:02:44 pm by cephalo »

My latest forts:

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2010, 03:40:04 pm »

Hello,

figured out my problem with the PW..
tested PW on vanilla DF and works ok. 

This result, means the problem is somewhere with Deon's mod. 

What I did I took Deon's mod and broke up both race Raw (creature_genesis and entity_default) files into
individual files, naming them like this, civ_dwarf, civ_elf, civ_sylvan (...etc) and entity_elf, entity_sylvan... etc.
I only preserved entity_default for dwarf only
(and in the genesis forum, You will note that I did not like some of the races in Deon's mod, no insult intended to him).

Turns out that PW and Modded don't work together that way.  :o

So did raw file swapping and regenning... turns out the culprit is only the creature_genesis.txt breakup.
with creature_genesis restored and now working fine.

Would like to breakup the creature_genesis.txt, wonder if raw has specific file naming system?   :D

R

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:40 am »

Hello,

figured out my problem with the PW..
tested PW on vanilla DF and works ok. 

This result, means the problem is somewhere with Deon's mod. 

What I did I took Deon's mod and broke up both race Raw (creature_genesis and entity_default) files into
individual files, naming them like this, civ_dwarf, civ_elf, civ_sylvan (...etc) and entity_elf, entity_sylvan... etc.
I only preserved entity_default for dwarf only
(and in the genesis forum, You will note that I did not like some of the races in Deon's mod, no insult intended to him).

Turns out that PW and Modded don't work together that way.  :o

So did raw file swapping and regenning... turns out the culprit is only the creature_genesis.txt breakup.
with creature_genesis restored and now working fine.

Would like to breakup the creature_genesis.txt, wonder if raw has specific file naming system?   :D

R

All PW does is write numbers into the various map location values. It should work for any DF mod.

My latest forts:

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 24, 2010, 09:42:49 pm »

Hey, would it ever be possible to determine what stones will appear in the map? I would love to make a personal heaven with this one day.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:00 pm »

You can set biomes which influence stones. You can't totally force it but you can force the layers to be igneous intrusive/extrusive with the volcanism map. I think that flux is rare around volcanos, but apart from surface hills and water, most of the maps are pretty similar, so it's pretty easy to find a 'heaven' map now.

Unless you have 40d, then you'll want to set volcanism way up, double the number of rivers and set the elevation noise and turbulence maps really high.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »

Ah, thanks.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 26, 2010, 06:58:23 pm »

Hello PW,

been playing around few years with my created Perfect World.  noticed there is awfully few brooks (practically non-existant). 
I went back to rainfall and drainage and tweaked it some more.  still same amount   too few.  apparently there is something i do not
know about those two tabs.

so asking question here, is this following information correct?

rainfall tab
dark (near brown) = super rain = 1.0 to .9
Dark green = heavy rain = .8-.7 (noticed a few .6 is part of that).
Green = rain
light green = scattered rain
yellow  = practically no rain

drainage tab
dark brown... I know this one... practically desert like condition.
light brown ... like prairie?
pink = tropical like...
pink-purple = swamp (holding water alot).

Which aspect do i look at to create more brooks in mountain areas?

R

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2010, 10:41:22 pm »

Hello PW,

been playing around few years with my created Perfect World.  noticed there is awfully few brooks (practically non-existant). 
I went back to rainfall and drainage and tweaked it some more.  still same amount   too few.  apparently there is something i do not
know about those two tabs.

so asking question here, is this following information correct?

rainfall tab
dark (near brown) = super rain = 1.0 to .9
Dark green = heavy rain = .8-.7 (noticed a few .6 is part of that).
Green = rain
light green = scattered rain
yellow  = practically no rain

drainage tab
dark brown... I know this one... practically desert like condition.
light brown ... like prairie?
pink = tropical like...
pink-purple = swamp (holding water alot).

Which aspect do i look at to create more brooks in mountain areas?

R

As far as I can tell, rivers are not directly tied to rainfall. Rivers seem to be spread evenly depending on how many you choose to have. Check out the number of rivers parameter on the world generation tab, it's one of the standard parameters you can adjust in dwarf fortress even without PW.

My latest forts:

rynait

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 27, 2010, 05:36:26 am »

Hello,

Thanks cephalo for pointing out my 'blindness'.  I went to the world gen tab and found it;  said 20 rivers...   *facepalm*

R

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 27, 2010, 09:17:20 am »

Hello,

Thanks cephalo for pointing out my 'blindness'.  I went to the world gen tab and found it;  said 20 rivers...   *facepalm*

R

Heheh, for a 'large region' type map, the default value is 400 I think.

My latest forts:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 54