Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 443958 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2010, 10:37:34 am »

I just checked, and we can paint the basic temperature noise in DF. If the temperature gradient has any effect in painted worlds, it'll just add on top of the custom paint.

Yeah, but then it's meaningless. If the polar gradient were predictible, one might be able to compensate for it, but as it is, you never know if you'll have a north pole or a south pole. If you want some place on your map to be really cold, you don't even know if it will turn out like that. It could be one of the warmest places on the map!

The game already provides the addition of noise and also some altitude correction. I don't know what functions I can add that would act in a predictable way.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2010, 10:47:39 am »

Well, if we estimate the gradient, then you just add the opposite gradient on top of the painted map. For instance, if the north pole has +100 degrees, and the south pole is at -100 degrees, then subtract 100 from the painted value of the north pole and add 100 to the south. Of course, half the time the gradients will add to one another rather than counteract, but if you just re-generate the world until it looks right, it could work. It is, admittedly, a half-measure.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »

Alternatively, I'm happy to regen a map until I get the polar placement I want; already do this for things like evil/good biomes.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »

When I attempt to export my world_gen file, if I chose to Export As, the exported file is blank, and if I choose Export, I get the error message "Can't save file, might be in use by another application." Is this because I save my map before I exported it?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »

You need to import an existing world_gen file.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2010, 03:24:57 pm »

When I attempt to export my world_gen file, if I chose to Export As, the exported file is blank, and if I choose Export, I get the error message "Can't save file, might be in use by another application." Is this because I save my map before I exported it?

This is something I will need to clarify in the future. The idea is that you first import a world_gen file, alter it and then export. The error message is highly misleading.

My latest forts:

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2010, 03:52:34 pm »

When I start this up, I get a standard window with resize/etc....but half of it is cut off. For example, on 'Volcanism Map' I see on the left 'Volcanism Map' and the brown box, and on the right 'Percentage Below Extrusive Thr' and nothing will convince the cut off portion to show.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2010, 05:00:32 pm »

When I start this up, I get a standard window with resize/etc....but half of it is cut off. For example, on 'Volcanism Map' I see on the left 'Volcanism Map' and the brown box, and on the right 'Percentage Below Extrusive Thr' and nothing will convince the cut off portion to show.

That's strange. Can I bother you for a screenshot? Are you using a small screen by chance?

My latest forts:

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2010, 05:46:17 pm »

No, a normal screen. I don't even see the usual 'scroll up/down' bars that most programs have...

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6098/newbitmapimagewn.png

ClaidheamhMor16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2010, 10:26:43 pm »

Ok. I fully accept I am not a techie nor moderately skilled at doing anything with files.
At all.

If someone could -please- explain how I get this LOVELY map I created after saving it, into the file that it needs to be so I can play it in DF.
Please use simple language and file locations based upon a Windows Vista system.
Thanks in advance, this'll make me a very happy guy.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2010, 10:59:05 pm »

Ok. I fully accept I am not a techie nor moderately skilled at doing anything with files.
At all.

If someone could -please- explain how I get this LOVELY map I created after saving it, into the file that it needs to be so I can play it in DF.
Please use simple language and file locations based upon a Windows Vista system.
Thanks in advance, this'll make me a very happy guy.

Did you read the manual that comes with the zip file?

No, a normal screen. I don't even see the usual 'scroll up/down' bars that most programs have...

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6098/newbitmapimagewn.png

Hmm, It looks like your screen is very low resolution. Not quite big enough for the whole window's default size. What happens when you minimize and then maximize?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:01:43 pm by cephalo »

My latest forts:

ClaidheamhMor16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2010, 10:59:30 pm »

I seem to have gotten everything exported correctly, it's trying to formulate my new world but it's got about 25 rejections now.
Joy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:23:32 pm by ClaidheamhMor16 »

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 17, 2010, 01:55:02 am »

It has nothing to do with my resolution, I can change it to the max and its not any better. Minimizing and maximizing doesn't help, either.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 17, 2010, 08:56:30 am »

I seem to have gotten everything exported correctly, it's trying to formulate my new world but it's got about 25 rejections now.
Joy.

You shouldn't be getting any rejections really. PW turns off all the rejection criteria by default for each map that you use. One thing that might be a problem is that if you need a playable civ(Yeah, we need that lol), and you have too many caves, the monsters in those caves can easily kill off every civilization in the first few years. If your world is going through the history super fast, that's usually why.

You can turn on the option in the d_init.txt file for world rejection logging, so we can see why this has happened.
[LOG_MAP_REJECTS:YES]

It has nothing to do with my resolution, I can change it to the max and its not any better. Minimizing and maximizing doesn't help, either.

I'm trying to figure out why the info is not fitting on your screen. Are you using large fonts? On my screen, the window takes up about a third of the screen at 1280x1024 resolution. The screenshot appears to be your whole screen, and there is too much info to fit. Is that assumption correct?

Somebody earlier had some problems with a small netbook screen not having scrollbars, but I thought I had fixed that so that everything was scrollable.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:01:06 am by cephalo »

My latest forts:

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 17, 2010, 09:33:36 am »

I did in fact have large fonts on. I tried turning them off and using the program again. No go.

The problems appear to be such:

The size of the window does not alter when I change the size of the window. Which is to say, though there is nothing I can do to get the bottom of the window on the screen, except by using the maximize button, which doesn't help, I can use the side of the window to resize it. It is clear when I do so that the text/spacing/appearance of the program does -not- alter to fit the resize. It is also apparent that there are no scrollbars.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 54