Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 443853 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2010, 04:33:12 pm »

Bump of awesomeness.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2010, 10:20:18 am »

I've been dreaming up some new features and I'm hoping to have an update this week. So far I have non-square maps working, and though I coded things originally with that possibilty in mind, I still made alot of inconvenient shortcuts that were only possible with a square map, so there's still some polishing needing to be done so that changing the map aspect doesn't make controls go out of sync etc.

I also changed the coast control buttons to a three state button that can do coast, nothing, or mountain. The mountain border is working out alot better than I had hoped, and has some really cool advantages for regional type maps. Fictionally, it helps explain why people don't just step one tile off the map when there's clearly land there that could be useful for settling. It also helps in corraling the rivers together so they can't just escape off the map edge. That leads to some very nice river networks complete with major rivers and sometimes junctions of major rivers! In my opinion every DF world should at least have the possiblity of a Three-Gorges Dam type project causing some major environmental damage. The mountain borders do all this while looking perfectly natural.

I'm still trying to figure out a nice way to import bitmaps in a way that won't complicate the interface too much. I don't want to have to make a bigger screen because I know that some of you are already using screens that are too small to fit what's there already. For now, I'm going to allow importing greyscale bitmaps as another input field for the elevation map, and there will be an optional square filter to smooth it out so you can paint contours with wide brushes. Then you can mix the field in with the noise etc.

Another thing I would like to do for the noise fields is to grab and move them a bit. Often the noise you get is exactly what you want but not exactly in the right place. Dragging them around to offset their position would be very useful.

Hopefully I can have this all done this week or maybe the next depending on how busy I am with life.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2010, 11:34:09 am »

Awesome, I've been painting mountains on the edges of most of my maps to being able to create them with a click of a button will totally own.  Gonna make the biggest waterfall ever when the next version comes out.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:14 am »

Very cool. Looking forward to playing with the new version!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »

Yay! :D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2010, 01:09:37 pm »

Fantastic, I'll be waiting for the update with anticipation.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2010, 10:18:11 pm »

I would like to add my voice to the chorus of praise for this. I wish that I could do something this cool in my spare time.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2010, 07:44:47 pm »

Ok, version 1.1 is up.

You may now import greyscale bitmaps to the elevation map and filter them smooth if desired. Non-square maps are possible now. The coast buttons can create mountain borders now. The noise maps can be dragged into a specific position, keep in mind this operation is kinda slow and can be somewhat unresponsive in a real-time sense. If you simply grab a feature and move it to where you want it, that's where it will end up, in a couple of seconds...

Let me know if you find any crash bugs or stuff not working.

My latest forts:

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »

I still have yet to be able to make the 100 z-level cliff have a water fall... it's taking a long time....
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2010, 07:53:56 pm »

Guess I'll try and play with some of the stuff in the 1.1 version.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:13 pm »

I really can't wait for temperature... especially if I can get flat temp gradients.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2010, 08:24:56 am »

I really can't wait for temperature... especially if I can get flat temp gradients.

There's alot that could be done with that. You could even do some geostrophic climate patterns, an equator even. Altitude based temperature would look very nice also.

My latest forts:

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:54 am »

So is someone else going to make Middle-Earth or should I?

Well, folks, Here's my attempt

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:  By pure coincidence, my outpost in the Iron Hills happens to be full of Iron!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 01:42:50 pm by Turambar »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2010, 01:53:39 pm »

they cut down mirkwood!

other than mordor looking a little too verdant that's awesome, too bad you can put the civs in the right spot..

Turambar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2010, 02:31:29 pm »

Here's the heightmap I used, so others can try:

save that, convert to bmp using paint or photoshop

It's a modified (cropping mostly) version of a map i grabbed off Simtropolis.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:34:40 pm by Turambar »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 54