Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 54

Author Topic: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility v.1.9  (Read 443969 times)

anacrucis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PerfectWorldDF world creator utility
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2010, 04:52:55 am »

Just a little useless non-constructive ego-padding feedback: I was playing around with this a little last night and was really impressed. I could spend as many hours playing with this as I do DF! Nice job! :D

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2010, 08:02:43 am »

Just a little useless non-constructive ego-padding feedback: I was playing around with this a little last night and was really impressed. I could spend as many hours playing with this as I do DF! Nice job! :D

Your generosity is as boundless as my need for praise. Thank you.  ;D
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2010, 09:07:52 am »

Yeah, I've used it for all the worlds I've made since I downloaded it. I usually load something into the worldgen file with this, and then log in with DFTerm and regenerate till I like the history / rivers / sites+pops, letting it run while I do someting more "important".

I do have one itty-bitty feature request: A "clear all user edits from this map" button, along with an map-has-been-edited light (such as the button becoming un-disabled), or a "number of entries in undo stack" counter.

I just realized that I don't know if there are independant undo stacks for each map tab, and I can't look it up from here ^_^.

:) :D ;D 8)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 09, 2010, 09:22:34 am »

Yeah, I've used it for all the worlds I've made since I downloaded it. I usually load something into the worldgen file with this, and then log in with DFTerm and regenerate till I like the history / rivers / sites+pops, letting it run while I do someting more "important".

I do have one itty-bitty feature request: A "clear all user edits from this map" button, along with an map-has-been-edited light (such as the button becoming un-disabled), or a "number of entries in undo stack" counter.

I just realized that I don't know if there are independant undo stacks for each map tab, and I can't look it up from here ^_^.

:) :D ;D 8)

Yes, there are actually separate undo stacks for each map. So if you mash Ctrl-Z on one map screen, it won't affect the others.

A "clear all" would be nice. In fact, I was going to rebut your post with a false memory of putting it in there, but then I looked at the code again just in case.

My latest forts:

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:49 am »

Hey Cephalo, just tried this for the first time and it's really amazing.  I've been making a tool (WorldViewer) to view interesting stuff about a world after generation, and so I put a link to your tool in the first post.  I've been genning interesting worlds with it to test out my tool, and it's been really helpful.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 09, 2010, 09:41:10 am »

Yes, there are actually separate undo stacks for each map. So if you mash Ctrl-Z on one map screen, it won't affect the others.

A "clear all" would be nice. In fact, I was going to rebut your post with a false memory of putting it in there, but then I looked at the code again just in case.

Cool. :). I have a habit of posting when I can't get at things to experiment, so ...

Oh, I did have one other (hopefully super simple) wish: north and south savagry gradients, would probably be useful with narrow tall maps :).

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 09, 2010, 10:32:51 am »

Hey Cephalo, just tried this for the first time and it's really amazing.  I've been making a tool (WorldViewer) to view interesting stuff about a world after generation, and so I put a link to your tool in the first post.  I've been genning interesting worlds with it to test out my tool, and it's been really helpful.

This sounds like a really cool utility. It would be awsome if you could display the map and let people mouse over places to get info, and what happened there. Although, we don't really have access to all the legends info do we? It still would be great to get sites and pops though.

Also, if I may ask, what framework are you using for your UI?

Cool. :). I have a habit of posting when I can't get at things to experiment, so ...

Oh, I did have one other (hopefully super simple) wish: north and south savagry gradients, would probably be useful with narrow tall maps :).

Eventually that has to go in, but the reason I didn't yet was because I thought north/south would be incompatible with the fact there's always a north/south pole. If your savagery is tied to your temperature that closely, it could really greatly limit the kind of creatures and animals that would exist in your world. It seemed undesireable to me to have nearly all the cold areas be calm and all the hot areas be savage, or vice versa.

You can still kinda mimic this with the radial gradient, especially with noise added you can hardly tell the difference.

My latest forts:

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:33 am »

Eventually that has to go in, but the reason I didn't yet was because I thought north/south would be incompatible with the fact there's always a north/south pole. If your savagery is tied to your temperature that closely, it could really greatly limit the kind of creatures and animals that would exist in your world. It seemed undesireable to me to have nearly all the cold areas be calm and all the hot areas be savage, or vice versa.

You can still kinda mimic this with the radial gradient, especially with noise added you can hardly tell the difference.

Yeah, I think that's what I did with my verticle strip world I actually really like the radials, my last world I put 'heart of savegry' in some little niche in the central mountains, turned the savegry limit real low and the turbulence real high so it's mostly tiny scattered bits that get more frequent as you go in. (Before this I kept blocking civ growth accidentally ^_^).

Hmm... it might actually be a good idea to go in and paint high savegry in the little disjoint areas if you don't want civs that can't access any other civs or that aren't reachable from the fast travel map in adv mode.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2010, 05:07:24 pm »

This sounds like a really cool utility. It would be awsome if you could display the map and let people mouse over places to get info, and what happened there. Although, we don't really have access to all the legends info do we? It still would be great to get sites and pops though.

Also, if I may ask, what framework are you using for your UI?

The locations of the sites aren't outputted except in the XML.  I've tried exporting the XML but for many worlds this is incredibly large (>400 MB).  I'm sure you've seen the XML but it has a few differnet toplevels.  If I could just split away the events top level, then it might be manageable, but I'm not sure of an easy way of doing it.

Oh, and I'm using VB6 :P.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »

The locations of the sites aren't outputted except in the XML.  I've tried exporting the XML but for many worlds this is incredibly large (>400 MB).  I'm sure you've seen the XML but it has a few differnet toplevels.  If I could just split away the events top level, then it might be manageable, but I'm not sure of an easy way of doing it.

Uh oh, somebody needs an upgrade. :P

Seriously though, .NET is awsome for Windows apps.  The libraries just about do everything for you. I made the custom angle control for the rain shadows in like an hour.

I will continue the discussion regarding the world viewer in your thread.

My latest forts:

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2010, 10:34:45 pm »

Uh oh, somebody needs an upgrade. :P

Seriously though, .NET is awsome for Windows apps.  The libraries just about do everything for you. I made the custom angle control for the rain shadows in like an hour.

I will continue the discussion regarding the world viewer in your thread.

Haha, I've used .net.  I just haven't gotten to the point where I can have an interesting idea for a program and make it as quickly in anything else.

There certainly are many many downsides to vb6, but it's still working for me.  But the stuff I've done is nothing like perfectworld, so I certainly can see your point :).

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:42 am »

Does this still work with the new .09? or does it need to be updated?

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2010, 10:02:56 am »

The part of DF that this uses doesn't really change very often at all, so it should work without any updates. If you ever have trouble for any reason just post about it here.

My latest forts:

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2010, 10:22:25 am »

Okay, thanks!

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:37 pm »

Just got this and tried it out, and honestly, I'm impressed. After a little lookup on how it worked, I found that it was fun and easy to use. This is one of those utilities that is just as fun as the game itself!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 54