Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding a world after generation  (Read 679 times)

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
Modding a world after generation
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:54:15 pm »

Has anyone figured this out yet? I couldn't find any threads having to do with it.
I'd like to mod in a house for myself in the wilderness or something.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Modding a world after generation
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »

What exactly do you mean mod in a house after world generation?

Just a quick fyi... If you're adding a new creature, stone, metal, tree, plant, entity, whatever, you will I can almost guarantee you'll need a regen.

If you Edit EXISTING entries, you most likely will not require a regen. Like if you make dwarfs extremely hot like fire imps, you just need to wait until a baby is born or a migrant wave shows up, when you remove the fire bit, your present fire dwarfs will remain fire dwarfs.

A little more detail on what you're asking and I could help you better.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:21:36 pm »

Sorry I wasn't clear, I've been working for doing homework since yesterday morning...
I'm not talking about editing the raws. Rather, editing an existing world. As in, modding sites, replacing tiles with other tiles. All the save files are encrypted as far as I can tell, though.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »

That's getting into memory editing as far as I know. Good luck with that one... Look into DF Hack for starters.

That's about all I can do for you.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 06:17:02 pm »

Sounds like it isn't supposed to be easy. Oh well. Thanks.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:36:22 pm »

I'm not talking about editing the raws. Rather, editing an existing world. As in, modding sites, replacing tiles with other tiles. All the save files are encrypted as far as I can tell, though.

Saves are not encrypted; they are compressed.  If you want to dig into them, there is a new init option [COMPRESSED_SAVES:YES] that you can change to NO.  That may get you a little further.

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:51 pm »

Saves are not encrypted; they are compressed.  If you want to dig into them, there is a new init option [COMPRESSED_SAVES:YES] that you can change to NO.  That may get you a little further.

Alright, thanks, trying that.

ThiefofTime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:53:19 pm »

if you want a house for your adventurer, it might be easier just to embark on a nano-fort (1x1) embark screen and get the dorfs to build a house for you, then abandon.