Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarves  (Read 932 times)

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
Marksdwarves
« on: May 15, 2010, 12:07:46 pm »

I've yet to be able to get a single marksdwarf to fire a single arrow at anything other than a practice target in DF2010.  I assign a squad ammunition, I set up an outfit with crossbow included, I've got quivers, and no bolts flying still.  The dwarves are carrying crossbows, I've seen them beating things ineffectually with them (none of my crossbows weigh anything so they do no damage to anything), but they never fire, ever. 

I'd really like to have working marksdwarves, I want to build a walkway the runs over the various caves and have dwarves patrolling and shooting anything that moves.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:56:52 pm »

Dwarves who don't have any crossbow skill to begin with, won't ever use a crossbow. It's a but that will hopefully be fixed soon. Migrants with the skill could practice, but even if you get a few of them, training is still bugged and may not work.
Just equip your dwarves with proper weapons, let them patrol through the caves and beat up anything that moves. The result is similar ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 01:39:52 pm »

Since hunters use x-bows to hunt, wouldn't it be possible then to create a squad of marksdwarves from former hunters?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 01:44:42 pm »

Since hunters use x-bows to hunt, wouldn't it be possible then to create a squad of marksdwarves from former hunters?

Did you ever see a hunter shoot a bolt, instead of using the crossbow as a makeshift hammer?

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »

Did you ever see a hunter shoot a bolt, instead of using the crossbow as a makeshift hammer?

I did! Once...

I gave up on ranged weapons rather quickly, so my ratio of attempt/failure isn't too horrible (3:2). As far as I'm concerned, there's already enough bugs affecting the whole military without having to deal with those specific to ranged on top of that.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 02:09:10 pm »

I did! Once...

I gave up on ranged weapons rather quickly, so my ratio of attempt/failure isn't too horrible (3:2). As far as I'm concerned, there's already enough bugs affecting the whole military without having to deal with those specific to ranged on top of that.

This is why real Dwarves use automated death dealing machinery. After the death of Urist McTzu in 1066, in the unfortunate accident which also killed the last Philosopher to ever walk in The Moist Realm, it has become canon for every Dwarven Mountainhome to have at least one way to kill enemies per dwarf, and at least 20 per cat.
Ever since then a confined catsplosion has been reported in the depths of the Third Cavern, starting in 1071. The Mechanic's Guild has never been happier and even the nobles stopped bitching at them.

CURRENT CAT POPULATION, ANGELLAMB: 61197
GROWTH RATE: 1004/WEEK
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 02:11:45 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:05:12 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
This is why real Dwarves use automated death dealing machinery. After the death of Urist McTzu in 1066, in the unfortunate accident which also killed the last Philosopher to ever walk in The Moist Realm, it has become canon for every Dwarven Mountainhome to have at least one way to kill enemies per dwarf, and at least 20 per cat.
Ever since then a confined catsplosion has been reported in the depths of the Third Cavern, starting in 1071. The Mechanic's Guild has never been happier and even the nobles stopped bitching at them.

CURRENT CAT POPULATION, ANGELLAMB: 61197
GROWTH RATE: 1004/WEEK

Release...the kitties.

Ruttiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://https://server2.kproxy.com/servlet/redirect.srv/s/p1/
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 04:35:33 pm »

Well, I put all 3 of my ranged dwarves in a squad, and set them to use ranged weapons of their choice.  I made them steel crossbows and set their squad to have ammunition, and I just checked, they seem unwillin to carry bolts.  Damn dwarves.