Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mixing the "Dead mayor/expidition leader = no noble assignment" bug  (Read 2375 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never suffered it myself, but I understand there is a bug where if your expidition leader or mayor is killed, you cannot assign any other nobels until a replacement is elected.

While I was in the process of copying/editing the nobels for a new entity, I thought of a possible workaround.

In addition to the [APPOINTED_BY] or [ELECTED] tags, some of the nobles have a [SUCCEDED_BY:xxx] tag, where xxx is either "HEIR" or "POSITION:yyy", with yyy being the ID tag of another noble.  Monarchs, dukes, etc are succeded by their heir, while elven druids are succeded by the "accolyte" noble.

I have never witnessed a succession in-game, but I assume that this is an automatic replacement for a noble should they be killed.

If so, I expect it would be possible to mod the mayor/expedition leader to be succeded by another position, (e.g. the manager, or a new "deputy mayor" noble), who would automatically replace the mayor if he gets killed, thereby ensuring there is always someone to appoint other nobles.

Has anyone tried this or otherwise know if it would work?

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

ReploidGodX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well I can't really say from experience whether it would work or not but in theory it should work with the heir option, i dunno if you can change it to specify a certain noble/class.
"Meditation brings wisdom; lack of mediation leaves ignorance. Know well what leads you forward and what hold you back."

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

well I can't really say from experience whether it would work or not but in theory it should work with the heir option, i dunno if you can change it to specify a certain noble/class.

It is possible.

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:DRUID]
[NAME:druid:druids]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:RELIGION]
[SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:ACOLYTE]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ELECTED]
[DETERMINES_COIN_DESIGN]
[PRECEDENCE:1]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[KILL_QUEST]
[EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
[COLOR:2:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:ACOLYTE]
[NAME:acolyte:acolytes]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[APPOINTED_BY:DRUID]
[PRECEDENCE:100]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:2:0:0]
[DUTY_BOUND]
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

The real question is if the succession actually works.

EDIT: Just tested it, it doesn't work. It must only happen in world gen.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:52:20 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never suffered it myself, but I understand there is a bug where if your expidition leader or mayor is killed, you cannot assign any other nobels until a replacement is elected.

While I was in the process of copying/editing the nobels for a new entity, I thought of a possible workaround.

I've been messing around with this area for another reason (I have 6 mayors currently).

I solved this by making my mayor appointed rather than elected.

e.g. change the Mayor entry in entity_default.txt to the following:
Code: [Select]
        [POSITION:MAYOR]
                [NAME:mayor:mayors]
                [SITE]
                [RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]
                [RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
                [RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS]
               [APPOINTED_BY:MILITIA_COMMANDER]
                [RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
                [PRECEDENCE:60]
                [FLASHES]
                [BRAG_ON_KILL]
                [CHAT_WORTHY]
                [DO_NOT_CULL]
                [KILL_QUEST]
                [COLOR:5:0:0]
                [ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
                [DUTY_BOUND]
                [DEMAND_MAX:2]
                [MANDATE_MAX:1]
                [REQUIRED_BOXES:2]
                [REQUIRED_CABINETS:1]
                [REQUIRED_RACKS:1]
                [REQUIRED_STANDS:1]
                [REQUIRED_OFFICE:500]
                [REQUIRED_BEDROOM:500]
                [REQUIRED_DINING:500]
(remove the [ELECTED] and [REQUIRES_POPULATION:50] and add in [APPOINTED_BY:MILITIA_COMMANDER])

This will allow you to appoint a mayor if you have a Militia Commander. You can create a militia commander via the military screen at any time by creating your first squad.

After creating a squad, go to the nobles screen and assign the mayor. After appointing the mayor, you will need to re-open the nobles screen to assign the positions the mayor can appoint (broker, manager, etc).

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can confirm that the above solution works.

dark0153

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

For existing forts or only after a new world gen with the edited raws?

So far i was unable to fix a existing fort after my 2 mayors died, all other noble positions are currently assigned

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

Giving the mayor a squad also solves the problem. You can reassing him at any time by putting in a new squad leader.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For existing forts or only after a new world gen with the edited raws?

So far i was unable to fix a existing fort after my 2 mayors died, all other noble positions are currently assigned

As far as I know, any changes to the entity definitions requires a new world :(.

Giving the mayor a squad also solves the problem. You can reassing him at any time by putting in a new squad leader.

I'd be cautious with this solution - sometimes military members end up in that bugged 'refusing to do civilian jobs' state31.04, which might be awkward for a mayor. My method still allows the mayor to be reassigned (at any time - without an impact on your military). Still, a mayor protection squad would be kinda cool ;).