Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realtime Priority/Running on two cores gives me sound issues.  (Read 6804 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

I haven't been able to find this problem anywhere else, via a cursory google search, so I'll just assume it's a problem with my CPU, because about two months ago I switched out my GPU for a newer one, and the problem still persists.

Basically, whenever I run something on high priority or realtime priority, the audio within the program skips and jumps and crackles. It's annoying on games like Cortex Command/ARMA 2, which are CPU hogs, and game-breaking on games like DA:O, which the developers recently released a patch for that optimizes the game to run on dual cores. Setting it to running on only one core stops the sound issue, but because it's no longer optimised for one core, it lags unbearably when things get busy.

System Specs: (I'll go more in detail here if requested)
Dual Core Pentium(R) 3.00 GHz
260 GTXXX
4 Gigs of RAM
LogiTech USB Headset
Realtek ALC662 @ Intel 82801GB ICH7

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue?

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Realtime Priority/Running on two cores gives me sound issues.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:30:14 pm »

So running processes at high enough a priority that they co-opt the running time of other processes (like your audio server) causes problems? Quelle chance.

It's like the guy who goes to the doctor and says "it hurts when I do this!". You're starving your sound server of processor time and it can't do its job. The solution is to not do that. You know it says "changing the priority of certain processes could cause system instability," right? While "system instability" does include BSODs and the like, it also includes things like...well...this.

Get a processor that isn't gimpy.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

DrPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ars Technica
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »

Basically, whenever I run something on high priority or realtime priority, the audio within the program skips and jumps and crackles.
Durrrrr.

That's because high and realtime processes can starve lower priority processes of processor time.

Lower priority processes like the sound mixer.

No problem here: this is by design.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 11:39:42 pm »

I guess I'm glad that everything is working fine then. >.>

I'm sorry for posting something that may seem obvious to you guys, I'm honestly not all that tech savvy and I figured it was the CPU choking all the other processes. I just wanted to check if it wasn't maybe a problem with my sound drivers instead.

The problem is, how can I fix that? I suppose running the game/program on low priority and maximizing the priority on the audio server obviously, but it's very difficult to find a balance between it that won't make it super laggy or garble up the audio. Now that I know that the problem is simply from the design of the CPU, I'll have to replace it.

It's like the guy who goes to the doctor and says "it hurts when I do this!". You're starving your sound server of processor time and it can't do its job. The solution is to not do that. You know it says "changing the priority of certain processes could cause system instability," right? While "system instability" does include BSODs and the like, it also includes things like...well...this.
I can't help it if it's running on both cores by default, it's simply not optimised to run on a single core, like I've said. In that case it's a case with the game and I'll see if I can get an unofficial patch somewhere or revert back to an old one.

Get a processor that isn't gimpy.

I do KNOW that the current CPU I have is terrible, (It came with a big pack of computer parts) a couple of my friends have already told me it is terrible, and even the guy who I bought my video card told me it was terrible. Could you guys maybe recommend a few different ones that aren't garbage? :P

DrPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ars Technica
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:18:33 am »

Don't mess with priorities at all.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:55:28 am »

What DrPizza said. There's no good reason to screw with any of that unless you know what you're doing. When you know what you're doing, you generally won't do it because you know what you're doing.

I don't have enough details to tell you if you can do an in-place hardware upgrade, keeping the rest of your system. You may be motherboard-constrained.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 01:45:04 pm »

I don't have enough details to tell you if you can do an in-place hardware upgrade, keeping the rest of your system. You may be motherboard-constrained.
I am.

Don't mess with priorities at all.
I'll just revert to a previous patch then.

Thanks all!