Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need a challange...  (Read 2893 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I need a challange...
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:50:50 am »

I just can't set them for myself anymore. Everytime I go to start a fort I load up something, look at the map and then change my mind cause I got nothing that I want to do there...

I sign up for things like Dwarf Masters cause I have no say in the matter of what I start with and what I am spos to really do. I like that, I hate leaving it up to my imagination. Cause I always get bored, think up something new that needs a fresh start or something like that...

I feel that there are TONS of players that are like this...

Give us challenges, not point us to the old Wiki Challenges, NEW ones FRESH ones...

Give us Maps, Starting Equipment/Stats, Goals, all of the above...

Challenge us...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I need a challange...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 04:07:06 am »

Schizophrenic Noble Challenge:

Make a table of achievements, goals, and aspirations. Optional: Make a second table of limitations and guidelines.

Roll randomly on table(s).

Every year, roll another die- on result of A-B, continue; on result of C-D, the mad king in charge of this operation changes his mind, and you have to reroll. If you get the same result, it has to be radically different in some fashion. Tailor results to make king/noble as stable or arbitrary as desired.

EXAMPLE:
Spoiler: Goal! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Limitations (click to show/hide)

You roll a 1, Cathedral, and decide to add a limitation, rolling a 3, population cap/quota. We'll say you prefer small forts, so this is a quota- clearly it's not a proper cathedral if there's any less than a hundred dwarves to appreciate it. You want the king to be fairly stable, so you give him a 10% chance to abruptly change his mind.
Next year, you roll the chance. If it happens to be that 10%, you roll again. If it's a cathedral again, you'll have to build it overlooking the lake instead, or it has to be of diorite, not marble! If you roll something else, he's completely changed his mind and now wants you breeding horses and giant eagles for some reason. Cathedral? What cathedral, the king wants his horses! Unless you reroll cathedral again, of course, or maybe you can treat each new request as "in addition to" rather than "everything you did was wasted, do this now!"

Of course, random tables are my first reaction to a lot of things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:20:05 am »

I need a challange...

Mod in trap-ignore orcs to 30.x, build a five level tall, above-ground, inverted green-glass pyramid with the inverted point centered on a 10 z-level-high stack of constructed pillars. Make the width of each step of the pyramis such that the fifth level fills at least a full screen.

You may embark on a map with lava. But you may not recruit any military at any time over the lifetime of the fortress.

Once the pyramid is complete, dig out its entire length and width of all ten z-levels beneath the pyramid, attach each of the pillars to a lever, station all but your medic at the bottom and pull the lever.

Why?

To find out the effects of large quantities of shattered green-glass explosions on dwaves.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 04:21:25 am »

Why?
To find out the effects of large quantities of shattered green-glass explosions on dwaves.
Answer known already... Squish...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 04:36:59 am »

Build a Kobold village in underground level 3.

Also your Kobolds can't build bedrooms or stockpiles in mined out sections.

Your main diet will be composed of forgotten beast meat.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:49:19 pm »

rig an entire mountain to collapse. without editing the raws. oh, and you have to dig out your fort within said mountain. Then channel out the space below it to the magma sea, get everyone inside, pull the collapse support level. see how many of them live :D

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »

Build an entire above ground fortress out of oak blocks. Use the rest of the wood for anything else besides furniture/constructions.

Bonus points if it is in the shape of a giant hollow oakman. (He actually wouldn't be a bad shape for a fort...)

Bonus 2 if you make a giant microline mega-man facing him and change your music to the boss battle music.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »

make an annual repeater-powered magma flood. on a fort built entirely above-ground. with no shielding on your dwarves. survive 100 years.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 05:25:14 pm »

build a town
town hall, houses, stores, roads to the edge of the map
make it look like an actual town, use burrows frequently
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 06:13:36 pm »

Make a fort entirely above-ground.
Stone blocks constructions only.
No millitary.
Any mechanism work except for the vanilla traps must work on a cat-based repeater.

Survive a while, and make sure you collapse the whole place at your downfall.

Probably add in some cooler enemies too.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:16:08 pm by Ethereal.Frog »
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 06:18:43 pm »

make humans playable in fort mode. use the human fortress challenge on the wiki.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »

Build a...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and use it as a...
Also, make sure it...
And then just for the heck of it,
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:53:43 pm »

Schizophrenic Noble Challenge:

Make a table of achievements, goals, and aspirations. Optional: Make a second table of limitations and guidelines.

Roll randomly on table(s).

Every year, roll another die- on result of A-B, continue; on result of C-D, the mad king in charge of this operation changes his mind, and you have to reroll. If you get the same result, it has to be radically different in some fashion. Tailor results to make king/noble as stable or arbitrary as desired.

EXAMPLE:
Spoiler: Goal! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Limitations (click to show/hide)

You roll a 1, Cathedral, and decide to add a limitation, rolling a 3, population cap/quota. We'll say you prefer small forts, so this is a quota- clearly it's not a proper cathedral if there's any less than a hundred dwarves to appreciate it. You want the king to be fairly stable, so you give him a 10% chance to abruptly change his mind.
Next year, you roll the chance. If it happens to be that 10%, you roll again. If it's a cathedral again, you'll have to build it overlooking the lake instead, or it has to be of diorite, not marble! If you roll something else, he's completely changed his mind and now wants you breeding horses and giant eagles for some reason. Cathedral? What cathedral, the king wants his horses! Unless you reroll cathedral again, of course, or maybe you can treat each new request as "in addition to" rather than "everything you did was wasted, do this now!"

Of course, random tables are my first reaction to a lot of things.

I like this, though to make it even better, it all has to happen in the same fort, and the king rerolls each year.  Thus, you'll get a string of partially completed megaprojects, all at the same place.  For bonus points, sometimes the king should get annoyed and demand that one of them be torn down and replaced by a whole different design... XD
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

blastrogath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:59:35 pm »

I think roll charts should use a d100, and they MUST have a reroll option! 

If you roll twice on type you must combine the requests, for example with tower and hall build a structure with a hall and a tower.  Rerolls can trigger more re-rolls.

Roll for type and shape if needed.  For every season until it's complete, roll once on the "bonus" chart. 

Type
Shape
bonus chart: coming soon!

blastrogath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 12:44:12 am »

BONUS CHART

Every season you don't complete a project, roll d100 for your king's reaction!
Pages: [1] 2