Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Proposal Regarding Healthcare  (Read 1983 times)

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
A Proposal Regarding Healthcare
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:10:29 am »

As we face the re-shaping of our healthcare system (at least in the northern-central portion of the western hemisphere), I feel it is critical that we include certain real-world aspects of the medical industry into the mechanics of Dwarf Fortress.

Specifically, we should permit those noble who have the societal status to make such claims to place themselves at the front of any medical treatment queue. The leaders of dwarven society, those who have earned their hoarding gold and pulled themselves up by their beard-straps, should be spared the tedious process of "triage" and receive immediate treatment in any situation. They should be allowed to issue offical demands for any sort of treatment, using any material desired for casts, crutches, bandages and stitches. Can we really expect the mountainhome's finest to do without rose gold walking sticks and Giant Cave Spider Silk dressings? The very thought is absurd!

And, of course, they must be allowed to file for malpractice suits. It is a horrid crime, to be considered alongside the breaking of production mandates. Any medical dwarf who would treat a worthless, parasitic hauler or miner before a dignified and deserving member of the nobility should be subject to an immediate hammering.

This would all imply, of course, the creation of a dwarven legal system and bureaucracy. No less than ten percent of the non-noble population of any fortress would be required to run such a system, but it would certainly be more efficient than if we were to simply live in some quasi-fictional commune!

I am sure you all must agree with me, dear friends. For the future of all dwarven kind!
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Proposal Regarding Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:03:14 am »

Urist McMiner cancels laugh:  could not find humor.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 03:31:19 am »

Hi!

Madrain: I have to applaud you. I have been wondering what to say to this, but I think you put it very nicely.

Deathworks

Ze Spy

• Bay Watcher
  • I was your beginning - so shall I be...your end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 07:58:59 pm »

*Sees Post*
*Rubs Eyes*
*Sees Post Again*
*Files Report To Have Tenth Speed Writer Executed*

Unless Nobles Become Less Annoying and get Working Hard , I Refuse to Subdue to this , only ether the DM or the Mayor gets this , i don't want to sacrifice a Useful Miner just for a Noble who ****ING SITS THERE AND KEEPS SCREAMING ORDERS , geez , thats worst then Hell

if i had my way , Nobles will have to be at the last one of the queue of EVERYTHING , or they will be Hanged on the Gallows or Get their heads chopped off , the exception being the Mayor and The DM

ZapRowsdower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »

Sadly I would have to say "no thank you". I prefer my dwarfy-fantasy-game to be as little as real life as possible.

-ZR

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:24:05 pm »

Eh?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:43:51 pm »

A related idea occurred to me. the idea working with the nobles demanding that there is a royal doctor, with nobles being mildly upset if there is not one and more angry if there is not one when they need treatment and don't have a the royal doctor.

Knowing me I'd laugh at them demanding one. :P

Preferably this could be added at the same time as nobles trying to get each other assassinated so they could do that part for us, and if the assassin failed we could watch them squirm with indignation over not having anything but a peasant's doctor.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:15:51 pm »

What I was planning on saying when I entered this thread:

[banish]TO THE SUGGESTIONS FORUM WITH YOU![/banish]

What I have to say now:

[banish]TO THE ELEMENTAL PLANE OF LIGHTNING WITH YOU! And don't forget your full steel plate armor.[/banish]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:17:49 pm »

The idea of having a Fortress Healthcare Policy screen just as complicated and powerful as the military screen amuses me. 

Free and immediate medical attention for Urist McNoble, state sponsored medical training for Catten McDabblingSurgeon!  Everybody wins!
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:34:02 pm »

But what if the Chief Medical Dwarf, a Noble himself, is injured?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 10:06:12 pm »

But what if the Chief Medical Dwarf, a Noble himself, is injured?

Obviously his lackeys are required to help him.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 11:00:37 pm »

[/thread]
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

CppThis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 06:01:00 am »

This would all imply, of course, the creation of a dwarven legal system
Dorf lawyers?  But I have to arrange enough unfortunate accidents as it is!

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:17:36 am »

And, of course, they must be allowed to file for malpractice suits. It is a horrid crime, to be considered alongside the breaking of production mandates. Any medical dwarf who would treat a worthless, parasitic hauler or miner before a dignified and deserving member of the nobility should be subject to an immediate hammering.
"Crap, I only have one dwarf with any medical skill, and he just has novice diagnostician. Ah well, he has to learn sometime!"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 09:21:26 am »

I can only imagine the malpractice suit that would happen if your best medical dwarf had a Fell mood in the middle of a procedure.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2