Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stones, stones and... stones again  (Read 1460 times)

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stones, stones and... stones again
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:33:58 pm »

Digging again and again! I love it. Well, I do except for one detail, what to do with all these stones, it's a real mess. I make blocks and stock them in bins, but there are way too many stones!

Anyone has a small hint for the novice-dwarf I am?

And well, now that I'm here: my wood furnace has its name in red and it seems it won't work, what might be the problem?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:46:13 pm by Britonix »

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stones, stones and... stones again
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:50:23 pm »

Make stones into blocks

Make blocks into megaconstructions

Or, if you're more interested in efficiency, dump them into the volcano (hmm actually that will be a problem with more magma-safe stones now) or atom-smash them.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »

Atom-smash? That's a joke or... what it is, I don't remember anything like that in the Tutorial.

And any idea of what might be my red-named furnace problem?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 08:01:50 pm by Britonix »

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:03:47 pm »

Atom-Smashing the process of grinding stone until it simply does not exist, possibly pushing it into the hypothesized "Elf" dimension.

1: Building a drawbridge
2: Raise said drawbridge
3: Designate dump zone
4: Dump what you want to eliminate
5: Lower drawbridge

You might want to read up about mechanics if your not sure about how to do this.

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:07:49 pm »

What I do is designate all the stones for dumping.  (d>p>d I think...  or is it d>b>d?)  Then make a 1-square zone garbage dump right next to my mason's workshop.  All the stones will be stored on the same spot!  Then reclaim all the stones and you have tons of building material stored neatly.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 08:11:02 pm »

This atom-smashing thing seems... complicated. I might use it, but no now, I'm not ready to play with dimensions.

Thanks for these tips.

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 08:12:50 pm »

For the wood-furnace problem, highlight the furnace with "t" and make sure none of its building material is forbidden or marked for dumping.
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:22:25 pm »

This atom-smashing thing seems... complicated. I might use it, but no now, I'm not ready to play with dimensions.

Thanks for these tips.

It's simple really. Make drawbridge, raise it, dump unwanted items under it, and lower it. When you atom smash something it ceases to exist.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:02:45 pm »

Usually right off of embark I try to start building some sort of castle-like construction with the stone you immediately start generating with all the fresh digging. It actually does a pretty good job at keeping excess stone down, though as soon as you forget to design some new constructions you'll find yourself with a few extra thousand stone lying around.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

I'll note this for my next fortress, this one is getting junkful.
I only face a little last problem: my wood furnace won't work. I read the tutorial and don't see what I skipped. Its name is in red when I select it (q) and charcoal, even if queued, won't be made.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 11:58:48 pm »

I'll note this for my next fortress, this one is getting junkful.
I only face a little last problem: my wood furnace won't work. I read the tutorial and don't see what I skipped. Its name is in red when I select it (q) and charcoal, even if queued, won't be made.

When all else fails, upload your save. I'll take a look.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:01:46 am »

The name of the wood furnace is normally red, how long are you waiting for a dwarf to take the job? I would suggest giving a few more dwarves the wood burning labor, as there may be some perpetual partying going on.

Britonix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:31:31 am »

OH! It is wood burning and not furnace operating! Thank you, I had none.

Baron Of Hell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 08:37:52 am »

You could make rock crafts and sell them to traders or offer them to the leaders of other nations.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 12:31:01 pm »

i make a long vertical trash chute near my main stairway.  It doesn't take up much space, and then everyone on every floor can all dump stones and vermin corpses into the same trash compactor.  Or magma.  I always just turn the dump site off when I want to put flux or stones I actually want into a different dump (ie a dump of marble next to my mason's)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku
Pages: [1] 2