Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names  (Read 50111 times)

Jake_Loustone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: An EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song: "‼Elves‼ for Armok"
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 10:19:57 pm »

Awesome work guys cant wait to see the finished product!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:56 am »

Sorry, I should've clarified - cutting isn't in reference to cutting out something, it'd just be chopping the guitar part into bits and copying some bits to add verse/chorus chunks without bothering to record anything new.

And I don't think Toady would include it in the DF package, but if you'd like just the guitar part without the awkward out of time virtual instruments, I can upload it for you :P
Well, if one thinks about it, these dwarves are just gunna be singing it 'til they pass out, so just looping the entire song tune (ex. "The Song that NEVER ENDS") but with new lyrics each time might be enough...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:00:30 am by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 04:10:11 am »

Need to get this back up and talking about it...

Got my Girlfriend listening to it, next thing I know she is dancing in the background while I am playing games...

She wants more, or at least the Score itself, as she is now attempting to beat out the notes out so she can try playing it on her Violin when she gets home to it...

THIS IS HER THIRD LOOP!!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2010, 04:43:03 am »

I'm animating Retro's music in flash. I'll post a like when it's finished in a few months...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 05:08:00 am »

She wants more, or at least the Score itself, as she is now attempting to beat out the notes out so she can try playing it on her Violin when she gets home to it...

Well, I think I posted the chords in an early post somewhere on page one, so they're there. Here's a version without the really shittily done "vocals" that'd be easier to play along to. Hesitant to call this !!Elves!! for Armok since it doesn't quite capture it IMO. Went with Hey Di Lee Hi since I needed something, anyhow.

I can probably get a score for the fiddle part if she really needs it, but it all falls within a really repetitive range of like 7 notes or something like that, all in A, so she ought to be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

I'm animating Retro's music in flash. I'll post a like when it's finished in a few months...

Whoa, really? Wicked. Uh, the quality of the link I posted was pretty low (ie. all the "vocal" bits were just hammered out and not at all falling into rhythm due to lack of caring on my part); if you're doing a quality version I can fix it and add some backing base and other stuff to make it a bit nicer. It'll be broken up the same so you shouldn't have to change anything you've already done.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2010, 01:53:29 am »

You'd do that? I thought that the music you'd posted earlier sounded beautiful. My animation quality isn't so great right now, but practice makes perfect. When I'm done, I'll probably look at the beginning of my animation and be disgusted. Thank you, though.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:46 pm »

I really just banged it out the first time around. Fixing it up (and possibly adding more light background stuff) with actual, like, effort, will certainly add. And besides, music is my main hobby, I'm quite happy to rework it for a project :P

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 06:21:04 pm »

All right, so far the only thing I think it really needs is a name.  "Blood for the Blood God" is nice, but taken (see spoiler)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So, what else would you suggest?

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2010, 02:05:18 am »

I was writing a poem about undergates the greatest dwarven thingy but wtf it got all eraced. I got to like the 40'th line.

Syntic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:35 am »

I enjoy the name !!Elves!! for Armok, but only if I think of trying to pronounce exclamation points at the start of a sentence.

I mean, ya Elves!! For Armok is clearly saying Elves loudly (Well the whole title loudly, but emphasis on the Elves.

The way I see !!Elves!! For Armok being said though, is a deep intake in breath, while a dwarf pulls their right fist back (perhaps left if they are a lefty, but anyway it's the fist holding their drink). Then they yell Elves while raising their drinks in the air. Once their drinks get all the way up they finish with the "For Armok" part, and down their drink.

Dwarf tradition would also say that every drop of drink left after you finish your drink is an elf that survived. Clearly only drinking half your drink would be unacceptable.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 08:44:24 am »

!!ELF!! Means that there is an elf item and it is on fire!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

I was writing a poem about undergates the greatest dwarven thingy but wtf it got all eraced. I got to like the 40'th line.
:'(     I hate it when that happens.  ::)

!!ELF!! Means that there is an elf item and it is on fire!
The ‼ symbols (which a windows user can make by holding alt and quickly typing in 19 on the number pad) mean that whatever is inside them is on fire: therefore ‼Elf‼ probably means that somebody decided to flood a forest retreat with magma instead of water.

After re-reading the song, I think you're right about the title.  Maybe I'm a little slanted in my jugement, but I think the title needs to be...  I don't know, sillier?  More dunken/dwarven? (essentially the same thing in this case)  One thing I'm (not quite) certain it needs though is some sort of hint towards the elves, or at least something which would make it ovious at a glance that it belongs in a dwarven drinking hall and not some underground cult (aside from this one, that is).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:48:58 pm by Arkenstone »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking I would try singing it and recording the lyrics. See where words might not fit in song while they do in what is there already...
Already I feel that the first and last line of
Code: [Select]
For it's hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok,
The dwarves strike the earth and make love to the rock!
Oh, Blood for the Blood God, more blood for Armok!
It’s a hey-di-lee hi, and ho-di-lee hok.
do not flow with the music that Retro has released already. Nor does the wording of most of the verses fit the rythem. the beat is a bit to fast in some places and a bit to slow in others to fit the words 100%. I will see when I get home in a few days what I can work out. Granted I don't have a great signing voice, but hey neither do most dwarves.. ^_^
Though how thick of a Scots accent you think. Personally I had the Thick Scot accent that most Dwarves get, I know that they were designed off of the Scot/Viking Culture but none the less, a little less is what I will be aiming for. Granted I don't have such a good Scot accent to begin with either...

I won't be drunk when singing so don't ask. For one thing I don't get drunk easily (though I rarely drink anyway) and I want to be checking everything cleanly...

What would be great would be something of a Passover song, where one starts then another takes over after the corus and so on. All of them sing that though...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would suggest several people recording the voice track alone, then they all get consolidated. the off timing and multiple voices would make it seem more authentic.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would suggest several people recording the voice track alone, then they all get consolidated. the off timing and multiple voices would make it seem more authentic.

The problem here would be pitch: if everyone's singing solo, without a reference pitch to listen to, they'd all tend to start on different pitches and the consolidation would be a cacophonous mess.

The solution is that everyone should be listening to the instrumental accompaniment track while they sing; then you'll have the right pitch and timing, and your voice would be able to be consolidated with the others. Mostly. :D
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9