Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names  (Read 50095 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. A cacophonous mess would make sense for a drinking song, but having it be discernible is still important...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: An EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song: "‼Elves‼ for Armok"
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2010, 11:08:22 am »

This:
Nor does the wording of most of the verses fit the rythem. the beat is a bit to fast in some places and a bit to slow in others to fit the words 100%.

Is a result of this:
the quality of the link I posted was pretty low (ie. all the "vocal" bits were just hammered out and not at all falling into rhythm due to lack of caring on my part)

Were I less lazy, I could've already fixed it up by now (I did the choruses and two verses, but not much past that). I ought to finish it all up now if you're about to sing it - I'll try to post it within 24 hours. As for the singing thing in general... anyone who wants to sing it; if they sing over it on a different track than the music and send me just the vocals, I can overlay them all and balance them and whatnot. People could also do cacophonic drunken rambles and I could simply lower that while maintaining the pure-singing ones and get a terrific drunken balance. And if there's someone else singing, I'll do it myself as well :D Didn't want to solo it because I don't have a dwarfy voice.

Also, you've been having trouble with the hey-di-li-hi lines? I find they match up perfectly. The "hey" "ho" and "hok" fall on the 1st, 3rd, and 4th beats of the bar respectively (the hi comes marginally earlier than the 2nd beat and carries over it).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just mainly the Hok part. It feels like your spitting out a snot filled phelm and doesn't seem right...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just mainly the Hok part. It feels like your spitting out a snot filled phelm and doesn't seem right...
*ahem*

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

It feels like your spitting out a snot filled phelm
That sound perfectly dwarven.  And drunken too!

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would do vocal's for it, as i have an amazing ability to impersonate just about any accent, except elvish... but i just dont have the correct equipment, it always comes out grainy and absolutely horrible...

as for a name, i think "Blood for the Blood GOD!" works fine with the words, especially because of the Boatmurdered reference.

Edit: Also i think there should be a run off at the end, where the parties still going on but you hear clattering and shouting of pain and whatnot... screams of agony... "DAEMONS IN THE DEEP!" "CURSES, AN AMBUSH!" "A VILE FORCE APPROACHES!" and other things like that...

Edit2: Also! This deserves a sticky... I mean a song to represent all of Dwarf Fortress, and theres a chance it could be lost in the forums?! AYE SAY NAYE!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:12:05 am by Evergod41 »

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile

A song to represent ALL of Dwarf Fortress?  I don't know, I'd think that sort of song would have to be to the tune of the in-game music...

Well, there's nothing saying that the current soundtrack can't be changed; personally I play time to time with this music in the backround.

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Re: The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 08:49:41 am »

Did you see the newest title?  I think it's a good compromise, that means ALL our title are right, and we get to call it whatever we want to!

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 08:58:23 am »

Im glad you double posted so that i could be amazed at the undecicefulness

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2010, 10:51:30 pm »

Actually, the last two times I changed it, I just went back and edited the title of my last post...  This time I thought "Why waste the effort, I have more to say which would work better if it had a title directly above it, without unrelated stuff in the way."

At least this time I accepted my indecisiveness. (note the time on the "Last Edit:" thing below, and compare with "Reply #54 on:")
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 10:55:34 pm by Arkenstone »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: An EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song: "‼Elves‼ for Armok"
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 11:50:01 am »

I'll try to post it within 24 hours.
^
hur hur, dint happan

All wrapped up now though. The fake-vocal-fiddle is now 100% in time, though the guitar is marginally off in a few spots, so it may sound as though it's all off. Here it is. Neyvn and anyone else who's interested in recording, if you can, try to record on a separate track from the music and send me a copy of just that track when you post the sung version. I can edit and mix that, and it'll be handy for doing other vocals over.

Arkenstone, the version linked in this post is a little bit more tight - can you replace the OP link with it?

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010, 03:46:53 pm »

Done.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2010, 04:19:01 am »

this needs some album art...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2010, 07:37:10 am »

Was the Lriycs altered on the OP, it seems to fit a LOT better then before. And thats to the older track...
None the less I will see if I can find my voice, I swear I left it here somewhere marked 'Bad Scottish'.... And I will see what comes of it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 08:05:36 pm »

My contribution to this project.
Had to put the sub-title below the mug. was going to put it all on top of it though...
Thoughts? modifications? suggestions?

[This is a bronze mug, all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality, it is lined with strips of masterfully worked steel, it is encrusted with masterfully worked copper flakes, the handle is masterfully worked steel.]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9