Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The saga of Caspaar  (Read 1248 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The saga of Caspaar
« on: May 14, 2010, 12:36:23 pm »

I thought I'd set myself a challenge of making an above-ground city.

Given that it would be above ground, I thought I'd use humans rather than dwarves.  I also decided I'd make it an actual city, rather than a fortress.  To make things a bit more Fun, I decided to look for a more dangerous site (e.g. moderate to savage, and/or evil), and to use the new military system to ensure everyone was armed.

The results were...  interesting (in the Arrgg! That's not what I intended! sense).

The story of Caspaar (Heavensstill) follow:

I managed to find an interesting-looking site, where I could get four biomes in one 4x3 area (my computer is weak, so I chose a small embark site).  Not only that, it had a volcano.  The biomes were calm and sinister, so (I thought) I would have a fairly relaxed learning curve, but with a small risk of Fun due to undead and monsters. 

I "prepared carefully", choosing appropriate skills for hostile environment living, including a woodcutter with extra military skills and ambushing (and equipped with a great-axe), and a highly-skilled miner, so I could get building materials rapidly, six dogs (2m, 4f), a weaponsmith for arms, and a leather worker and and a good supply of great white shart leather for intimidating leather armor.

Even the randomly-generated name of my fortress and group ("Heavensstills" and "The Rough Group") seemed auspicious. 

So I embarked, full of enthusiasm, sure that I could build a resiliant settlement, ere winter set in and the Jaguars got hungry.

When my group arrived at the site, I had a look around.  The site I had chosen was interesting, to say the least.  It was very mountainous, with a steep-sided valley running east-west through the site, with the volcano rising up more or less in the middle, and a plateau on the south edge of the map.  There were lots of exposed mineral veins and gems, but few flat areas that would make a good building site. 

My first choice of place to settle was in the SE, on a bare clay part of the plateau (where there would be easy access to the trees and shrubs on the rest of the plateau), but in the end decided on a flat rock plain to the east of the volcano, where there was more space and easy access to rock.

So I got to work, designating some non-economic rock to be minded out for building material, trees for felling, farms to be planted, and got the rest of my humans hauling the supplies to the building site.  Once a few rocks had been mined out, I built a few workshops, started laying foundations for a communal long-house, and got a rock crafter churning out trade goods, I got ready to ogranize my citizen-militia.

This is when the problems began.

It was then that I discovered (and checking the raws confirmed this) that humans only get one type of noble - a "warlord" (similar to the expidition leader but with some differences in responsibilities).  No militia commander, so no way to assign squads or equip anyone with arms or armor.  No broker.  No manager.  No bookkeeper.  (And no arsenal dwarf human, although without a military, that's the least of your problems).

I decided I could live without a bookeeper/manager/broker.  Sure, it would make things harder and more tedious, but wouldn't be a fortress-killer.  The lack of a militia commander however was a big problem, especially as it basically undermined one of the main themes of my fortress, and particularly worrying as there was now an ogre and a couple of zombie mountain goats wandering about the west side of the map.

Still, I decided to persevere.  After all, I could just make everyone hunters and arm them that way.  That was when I discovered that in 2010, hunters can only use crossbows, and when I assigned the hunting labour on my woodcutter/axeman/ambusher, he dropped his great-axe and was now unarmed (because my Warlord was being a lazy git and refusing to do any of his assigned labours, so I had enabled hunting on him in the hope that he would at least live up to his name, and so was now carrying my only crossbow).

Given that defence was clearly going to be much more of a problem that I anticipated, I decided to check up on the ogre, to make sure he wasn't going to attack my near-defenceless dwarves.  I turns out that he had already found (or been found by) my six dogs (two of which had been trained to hunting dogs).  The had managed to wound him to all-yellow and unconciousness, and were slowly worrying him to death.  One of the dogs had a broken rib.  The ogre - on his status page - had two whole pages of torn arms, dented legs, fractured eyes(!), oozing hands, and jagged scars.  Despite this, it took my dogs several months to finally savage him to death.

During this time, a migrant wave turned up, so I set them to various useful tasks.  However, It was clear that this fortress was not going to be anywhere near as worthwhile as I had expected, so I had my miner dig a staircase straight down into the bowels of the earth, to see if I could find anything interesting (or if it would find me).

Then, three ogres turned up, and before long had killed all my dogs then found my humans and started attacking them.  A couple of them were unlucky enough to be caught, where upon the ogres proceeded to slowly wrestle them to death over a period of several months.  (My woodcutter/axeman failed to put un an effective resistance and spent most of the time unconcious and slowly building up inguries, but did manage to become a legendary fighter in the process).  Frustratingly, the ogres were also close to my food/booze stockpiles, so all the humnas who could have been doing something useful (like digging out and sealing off a new underground home) spent the time trying to eat or drink and getting interupted by the ogres.  During this time, another four migrants arrived.

One ogre eventually found my miner and started chasing her.  I had hoped she might follow in the footsteps of so many heroic dwarven miners, and put a pickaxe through the skull of her enemy, but she too ended up with the ignominious fate of being knocked unconcious and wrestled for several months (as of this moment, she is one of the few humans still alive).

With the deaths mounting, my carpenter finally snapped, and went berserk.  He proceded to chase down and kill two (possibly three) of his companions, before meeting an ogre.  The two blood-crazed individuals rushed at each other, and began a vicious wrestling match, with injuries rapidly building up.  I had hoped that the berserk carpenter would be able to take out the ogres (since nothing else seemed to be able to), but she was building up wounds faster than the orge (he was all yellow, she had mostly yellow but also a few red injuries).  But then, just as all seemed to be lost, the ogre's nerve broke and he ran.  My berserk carpenter persued him, ran him down, and finally killed him found a soap maker to take her rage out on instead.  (The ogre, in a stunning display of lack of sense, has decided to join in beating up the soap maker).

As of this moment, the survivors consists of five friendly humans (two of which, the miner and the soapmaker, are currently unconcious and slowly being wrestled to death), the berserk carpenter (still fighting valiantly, but starving and dehydrated so probably probably not long for this world), two named ogres (the third has disappeared), and several tame animals.  (There is also a magma man in the volcano, and a few troglodytes in the caverns, but they haven't got involved).

My settlement is clearly doomed, but I think I'll leave it running to see what happens.  (Hopefully my carpenter will manage to take out at least one more ogre).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: The saga of Caspaar
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »

Nice fun! Shame it ended semi-prematurely. Definitely keep trying and producing more stories of Fun.

For future reference the next time you play as humans, copying the dwarven nobles to replace the human ones will require a regen.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:10:18 pm »

Update:

In the last few minutes, both my soap maker and my berserk carpenter have died.  The carpenter's status screen says that her uppen body is gone, so I guess the ogre managed to kill her, rather than her just dying of thirst.

That leaves just four live humans, only two of which are active (the miner is still being wrestled by the other ogre, and a glassmaker is incapacitated in bed).

I've activate the engraving labour on the two capable ones, and set them smothing and engraving a section of cliff.  Hopefully they'll leave some record of the tradgedy that befell Caspaar.  Although so far, I just have the symbols of their local and national governments (a prickleberry and a table, respectively), and a load of random images of plants and shapes.  (And some coffins, which is rather appropriate).  Oh well, I suppose this will just be a fascinating mystery for the archaeologists of the future.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:35:00 pm »

I think there was some discussion in the modding forum about adjusting the human nobles to be playable, if you decide to attempt this again ;D

Edit: By playable, I mean 'functioning enough that you can equip people, trade, etc.'.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 01:42:31 pm »

I think there was some discussion in the modding forum about adjusting the human nobles to be playable, if you decide to attempt this again ;D

Edit: By playable, I mean 'functioning enough that you can equip people, trade, etc.'.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that if you play as a non-dwarf civ, you have to copy the progress triggers from other civs to the dwarven entity so that they come to trade as well.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:56:35 pm »

Update:

Moments after my last post, one of the two walking humans got caught by an ogre and wrestled into unconciousness, and shortly after that, the miner was finally killed.  It look as though, after its long, drawnout death, the settlement of Caspaar was finally at an end.  The sole soul able to move was a woodcutter/engraver, who was dilligently recording its history for posterity (focusing on such important events as settlers arriving, ang ignoring minor details such as the bloody massacre of the population by ogres).

Then, suddenly, I noticed that my bowyer had escaped from the ogre that was trying to kill him (becoming a legendary fighter/wrestler in the process).  In fact the ogre,  Vucafathri ("Spoilviper"), the first to slay one of my humans, and with the most kills to his name, was dead!  How this happened I don't know, as none of my humans had any recorded kills. 

Furthermore, my bedridded glassmaker had suddenly got up and was wandering around (possibly because I had forbidden all ht ebeds to prevent any of the survivors trying to sleep in them, as they were too close to the ogres).  Unfortunately he was struck down moments later by the surviving ogre, despite having gain legendary fighting skills.

Then, as I was wondering what to do with my two survivors, some migrants arrived.  One (a gem setter) also has talented mining, so I had hopes that I might actually be able to dig an underground hideout, although he doesn't have his own pick.  If he can get the one my old miner had, there may be hope left.

My bowyer has run in to the ogre again, and is now unconcious and badly wounded, despite his legendary fighting skills.  Sill, he may keep the ogre busy enough to allow my new miner to get the pick and start digging...

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:58:50 pm »

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that if you play as a non-dwarf civ, you have to copy the progress triggers from other civs to the dwarven entity so that they come to trade as well.

Thanks for all the tips, btw.  I'll try them some time.  Although in this particular case, I did get some human traders in the first autumn (I bought some preserved monach butterfly brains from them, among other things).

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 03:29:38 pm »

Well!

What a turn around!

My new miner did manage to retrieve the pick.

I have now dug out a small underground settlement, with a few workshops and food stockpiles, and a depot, and stuck several cage and weapon traps down in the only entrance.

I have dug impassable ditches around several significant surface sites (the only pond, a couple of farms and small forested areas, the old food, goods and furniture stockpiles from the first settlement).

A trade caravan arrived, and was - ahem - relieved of its entire cargo.

A little after that, a new migrant wave arrived, bringing my total population up to 26 (including the bowyer who *still won't die*).

And to cap it all, my craftsdwarf just got a few mood and build an iron figurine representing the original founding of Caspaar.

All in all, it looks as though this settlement might actually be a success afterall!

I think I'll call it a night, now.  And go and have a truely decedant drink to celebrate :)